Automobilista 2 AMS2 Test Series

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2' started by Rob Milliken, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

I spent some time trying to make a setup for the GT1, but with my setup entry wheel T150 it is very unpredictable on the limit, also the telemtry e.g. tyre temperatures are displayed very inconvenient so it is hard to analyze while driving what is actually happening... I cannot get a good feel for that like in other sims like rF2 or AC that is much better.

2. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

I guess we will have some more knowledge after round 1 !:D That's what this series as all about ! Pushing the new sim in anger is the best way to find out what its all about !

The server will be restarted at the top of the hour for official 1 hr practice ! please allow me to be first on to assume host ,not that I can do anything without any server commands :rolleyes:. So please, if the server is empty simply wait a min or 2 for me to join :) .. Feel free to be on the server up to the time before the official practice starts its up 24/7 ..the server restarting will be your clue :eek::D server pw is posted on the event page !

3. Gert-Jan van Osch

I unregistered from this one cause making a setup without proper feedbackl to respond what the car is actually doing came up to a point of frustration. In my opionion now on trying to get a good setup on the limit I have to agree with Laurent that AMS2 is not quite there yet. I think Reiza has work to do on the force feedback and car behaviour on the limit. mainly on getting better feedback through the wheel what the grip on front and rear is doing. This behaviour I also have in AC with the ASR F1 1991. (But it also can be a combination with my wheel T150).

4. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I'm sorry to hear that @Gert-Jan van Osch. Do you think it's that critical to have a very competitive setup for this test? Wouldn't the session deliver also some ways of improving our understanding of the sim for us all?
    I understand we are not totally happy yet with everything about AMS2, but we can take a more relaxed approach towards this perhaps and find out more about how we can configure and enjoy this sim better in future.
    I have found a video on YouTube that might help and leave it here for the records:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Balazs Flossmann

Balazs Flossmann Pro Driver Donator

Don't get it too seriously....
    Hoppin-race-enjoy! :D
    When I was racing seriously, made setups, practicing 2-3h/day, I couldn't enjoy the online racing because that been my "second shift"...
    Now I enjoy a lot many times without setup, with minimal practicing.
    And driving in the middle pack is more exciting than front pack. :cool::p

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gert-Jan van Osch

I'll reconsider participating now I am settled down a bit...

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

8. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Well that is 60 mins of my life I won't get back.

That was like driving a boat, made of wet sponge!

I lost the will to live after 10 minutes... it just wasn't enjoyable to drive AT ALL!

9. Gert-Jan van Osch

Had the same feeling... and ran out of fuel...

10. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I was wondering... The formation lap was worrying but I had added a small margin...
    I think other cars will do better on this series.
    I'd love to test the formula Vee.

@Rob Milliken, if you don't have completely clear the plan for next races, you could give the honour to choose what to race to the winner of the previous race... That would be an extra encouragement to win...:D
    Jos

11. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

It lacks in FFB at the limit but when losing grip it is too forgiving as well. I actually found a post from a developer (from august last year..) that they carried over 90% of the physics from AMS1 but did use the tire physics that was present and were tweaking it. So hopefully for the future that gets updated.

I seem to remember the ASR F1 1991 not being really good.. if I don't have one of their other cars in mind. So I think it could be the mod.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

It seems still the case than once per AMS2-driving session my ffb craps out (pulls my wheel full-force to the right or goes out completely)). Unless it happens before q like today, I would be screwed I guess ;(
    I think the GT1's are pretty nice, just akward driving together online with the big performance differences though.
    I've pretty much already came to terms with the ffb beeing mostly useless. It could be a decent driving tool to not rely on ffb for helping with feeling the limits (on lateral grip or braking or traction or anything^^) as absurd as this may sound.

The biggest problem on all cars I drove so far is the motion of constant wave-like bouncing all cars seem to do with harder suspension-setting in particular. It is not always an option to go with soft suspensions, then you are stuck with racing a pinnball around :)

I'll try to do one or two more of these in the series :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob Milliken

Sorry Guys the formation lap was my mistake .. I did wonder how it worked tho & you guys did a great job going with the flow so now we know I bit about the form lap !~:rolleyes: ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Not much to say of a relatively unrelieved race. I hadn't worked on the setup and the GT1s maximise any difference in performance. With 10 on the track, we were soon enough settled at distances that didn't grant any close wheel fighting. Ending in an undeserved P3, as per my pace, this only happened as @Gert-Jan van Osch ran out of fuel in the last two corners of the race (long formation lap didn't help).
    The GT1s are spectacular and I don't seem to have some of the woes other drivers are experiencing with the FFB (check the video to see the wheel behaviour) but these cars might not be best to deliver an interesting series if this type of competitor's distance would be typical in future series. It's, nevertheless, impressive to see these machines negotiating such a beautiful track at Kyalami.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

BTW, there is a moment when approaching the last turn before the start/end line straight in the formation lap when the race actually seems to start. I hear the beeps and my CrewChief tells me to go... But cars in front kept the formation lap pace instead of starting the race for a couple of secs. I lifted the throttle to allow the car in front to regain its position but I would have thought that I could have gone ahead and AMS2 would have considered this legal. Perhaps something to consider in the future so that we are clear on when actually the race start... Is it when the beeps and your CrewChief tells you to go or when P1 crosses the start line?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob Milliken

I pretty much agree with all of you guys !
    The car is fun but I had a last second snap that felt kind of weird, it got me a few times ..:rolleyes:
    All & all with the exception of loosing Flaviu & the ffb issues it was a good test & I think we all learned something more about the current state of AMS2 today so big Thanks to all of you guys for showing up !

Next should we go Historic? :D
    Open wheel?

I'm curious about how some of the other cars feel with regards to the ffb/on the edge issues the GT1's have .
    reading that they used the "existing" tire psyx I think explains a lot ,PC2 suffers from that same ffb slope transition on the limit … AMS1 feels pretty good with the rf1 psyx so i hope these guys can find the balance between the 2 ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rob Milliken

Yes lets do it!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gert-Jan van Osch

I also had in one of the session that the FFB was completely gone and noticed in the chat that i was not the only one.

19. Gillis Hommen

Gillis Hommen Pro Driver

Hey guys! Thanks for racing yesterday.

Indeed the race wasn't super interesting, with mostly everyone driving their own pace and no real fights.

I pretty much exclusively play AMS2 (just a little rF2 sometimes) because I enjoy the lively, usually informative feel of the FFB and many of the cars can really be 'manhandled', it rewards an agressive driving style.
    I must say however that the Porsche GT1 is one of my least favorite however. The McLaren F1 drives a lot nicer, but is 4 seconds slower per lap... Merc is in between, both in speed and in enoyment.
    It's been a long time since I have any FFB issues of the pull-right or no-force type in AMS2, but funnily enough yesterday during the formation lap the FFB crapped out on me again. I switched from default to custom FFB profile during the formation lap (that explains my weird driving...) and with the custom profile I had a tiny bit of weak FFB, where I usually like a bit stronger FFB. So it was basically like driving without FFB. Still, I had done some time-trial practice in the Porsche GT1 the days before so that helped a lot for my pace.

Anyhow, considering the win, if it's up to me to choose the next car and venue, I would pick a much slower car and more of a mickey-mouse track. :) That tends to give fun racing. So... how about GT4 cars? Or maybe even GT5? (although there's less choice of cars)
    Track: Santa Cruz is a really fun track imho.

Let me know what you think!
    Cheers, Gillis

• Like Like x 4
  20. Rob Milliken

Your the winner so call it & I will set it up , just no DLC yet :D!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1