Automobilista 2 AMS2 Test Series

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2' started by Rob Milliken, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Because this was a test race maybe a proper test review is also a good idea.

This was my 1st online race in AMS2. I did not anticipate the fuel for the formation lap and in the end I came up two turns short. I also did not know what the starting procedure was going to be like and goint to green before the last corner felt a little bit weird somehow... I think I was not the only. I also got hit from behind just before the start. I noticed that i was very fast in the opening laps but my pace drops off after a few laps compared to others. I guess it has something to do with tyre pressures and contact patch that is not in the sweet spot anymore after the tyres heat up... I noticed it a bit in the force feedback of the car getting a bit loose on corner exit, but I think those effects are to less... Also when the rear steps out in the low speed corner (sharp right turn down the hill and left turn before the finish the finish I do not feel losing grip all of a sudden and cannot catch it at all... I also spun out on exit where Dino could overtake me. What I also find useless is the telemetry page... It takes up a lot of space on the screen and you have to look at four positions to check and you cannot drive hard on the limit and see what actually is happening to the tyres at the same time. I expect that if have noticeable understeer it would show somehow via telemetry but its all green and tire temps look okay. This in combination with the poor force feedback does not give me any satisfaction driving it.

What i am going to try is to play with the custom ffb settings file to see if I can get more information through the wheel about the cars behaviour and see whether I can make adjustment to improve the setup and drive more closely to the limit.

If there are different cars with better force feedback or using better or different tyre models I would like to try one of those cars in the races... I did most of my racing in the open wheelers and at least found in driving those that I could at least better control the corner entry with trail breaking without breaking rear traction... Also the responses seem more natural to me if I see e.g. driver 61 clips how a car should response. I could improve the behaviou the effects to the car behaviour when changing the ARB settings while driving to make it a better experience. I did not work on the setup so I do not know the limit and opponent strength was at 92%.

My suggestion would be to select cars which are already known to have a good physics model to do a racie in one those... I heard on youtube videos that the south american race cars have much better physics models however I have not driven any of them so far...

On a side note the chatbox in AMS2 is really small and multiple messages scrolling on screen does not make it very readable. But that something Reiza should improve on...

All in all there is no perfect simulator and since Reiza is still improving the sim I hope these short comings from my perspective will be addressed in the future to make it a more intuitive experience...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gillis Hommen

Gillis Hommen Pro Driver

It would also be a laugh to do two short races and reverse grid, only I don't think AMS supports that...
    We could do a 'virtual pacelap' and get in the right position before the start of the 2nd race? :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gert-Jan van Osch

I just noticed that driving assists are allowed in this series. I had them turned off. I was wondering if anyone had them turned on and if that improved the stability like the car not stepping out in slow speed corners.

4. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I never do driving assists other than TC and ABS when factory default and forgot to remove them (or the car becomes undrivable without).

5. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Cars coming to a complete stop on circuit was a little problem though!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neil Wood

I had mine set to "authentic" but didn't know where to adjust what aids these cars had.... if they even had any!

7. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

I found my error with the form lap .Our server has a cool UI that allows simple edits so we don't need to mess with the .json flags .. I had been using a default preset that had everything set proper with standing starts but with the GT1's I made a new preset and forgot to un tick the 'form lap' flag ..

Also I read that the flags can overwrite certain settings like driving aids ...
    This is how it was set ..
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.06 - 16.00.31.75.jpg

You are correct that AMS2 does not support reverse grid yet .. It's possible to have back to back races but it involves everyone going back to the lobby after the first race and simply starting a new race when we 'ready up' but it will also have A new q session . We cant have standing start set on race one and rolling on race 2 unless I reset and restart the server So a manual form lap when it goes green to adjust the field would work but it would take EVERYONE knowing exactly where they need to be so this might just be to much to ask lol .. If we ALL were on voice comms (DC or TS) we could probably pull it off .. that said we could still , because its a test series, have 2 back to back 20min races but I would suggest either a random grid for race 2 (removing the Q session for R2) or simply go with a race 2 Q as well ..

To be able to do this I will need to use the -selectds feature meaning the server will not be set up until a host with a pre configured session with P,Q,R , Track & cars, laps ,weather ect.. set up for that session logs on .. This is how we do the PC2 series events so it's not that big of a deal for me to do I have done it hundreds of times ..
    What happens to the server when using -selectds ? The server will still be up and joinable but it will only have the default AMS2 cars set with a default track (mainly the first cars & track in the AMS2 list ) it will not have a Practice or Q session set yet so it's basically useless during the week until A host using -selectds in the command line of there game (in steam command line editor) logs on with his preset event that he set up as if to host peer to peer ..
    Knowing this I have a solution . Once we decide on the cars & track I will set the server up like it is now 'server controls track & cars' so anyone can join and its all set up already ..Then on race day I can put the server back to 'Host controls track & cars' and use the -selectds to create the session on my PC before becoming host ..
    We will only need to do this if we want back to back races .otherwise race 2 will be stuck with a 1 hour practice session with no way to vote or advance session ..

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rob Milliken

I'm not going to prosses the result file for this test round , I should have it sorted for the next one ! As long as all players use their proper names on the server (matching there SRO member names) . until then here they are so you guys can have a look at times & all ! GUID's have been blocked out for your privacy !
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.06 - 17.40.45.09.jpg Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.06 - 17.35.27.94.jpg

9. Gert-Jan van Osch

Never used team speak before, but it seems fun to try it some time... Is teams speak commonly used?

10. Neil Wood

I would prefer Discord to be honest.

11. Neil Wood

People were trying to show me how to change my name and said something about an alias in the profile. I can't find it!

[​IMG]

12. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I think I changed both the 'PROFILE NAME' and the 'REAL NAME' to Jos Ogos instead of JO Simracing as I used to have it...

13. Neil Wood

That would make my real name visible to everyone on Steam.... not doing that thanks.

14. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

Hi,
    Sorry for my abandon, but without FFB, it is no fun to drive. And, for me, proved to be very very difficult. I changed FFB to custom and before the green flag I thought I feel some resistance in the steering wheel. It wasn't any :(
    For me loosing FFB was a first timer.
    I will try again and we will see.

15. Rob Milliken

I see the confusion , the newer updated steam has changed the UI since the last time I had to edit it .. before under "edit profile" it had a drop down for profile names under "alias" .
    That's gone now its now simply your profile name ,you don't need to fill out the real name box . the profile name should be what shows in all games , I had like 5 deferent ones before the steam UI update .. One thing that happens is once you log onto a server it uses your steam GUID , if you leave that server and come back during the same session it will continue to use what ever name you had when you first entered , so changing it will not take effect until that server session is over meaning the server is restarted (I see this also in AC ).. so even though you changed your name as requested it did not take effect on the server because it was still in the same session .. This is because it only uses your GUID and once its recorded on the server in THAT session it will remain until the server is restarted and all connection GUID's are erased .. So as long as your profile name matches you forum name before you enter a server it should show the proper profile name .. this has nothing to do with your steam account name ,its a gamer profile name .. hope that clears it up a bit ..;)

16. Neil Wood

I didn't change anything on my profile before or after joining the server though. It is exactly as you see in the screenshot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rob Milliken

On a side note if you don't want to use any real names simply change your SRO name to something fake ,as long as it has a realistic first & last name you can do that .. Notify Nigel Middelton to change your SRO name .. You cannot race at SRO with nic names .we need a actual name to work with the result software , any game names that do not match a sro member name will crash the whole system …

18. Rob Milliken

Yes that's why its also was woodee in the game , that profile name is what shows in games ..

19. Rob Milliken

20. Rob Milliken

Ok the track will be Santa Cruz then ?
    Then there is the cars ??
    GT4's do offer more cars to drive , or we can do a single make where we are all in the same car ?? Automobilista 2 Screenshot 2021.02.07 - 14.52.15.33.jpg as soon as we/you decide I will set it up so the sooner the better ~!~ :D

• Like Like x 1