rFactor 2 Custom skins

Discussion in 'World Series by Renault Closed' started by Ken Jagger, May 22, 2021.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Custom skins are allowed for this series

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

Hi. Regarding skins I installed the mod via Steam. When I open the mod all the cars are covered in a grey sheet. Have I miss a file or just screwed up?

Thanks Michael

3. Ken Jagger

No Michael you haven't done anything wrong :)

I believe this lack of an image in the list was either due to the introduction of the new rF2 UI and/or a combination of an older mod, like the FR35. If you click on the customise button after selecting a car you will then see the skin of the car.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

The car preview "icon" was something introduced with the newer RF2 user interface, so I would say about 70% of car mods will most likely show that default "car under sheet" preview on the car chooser screen. When I did some team livery mods, I looked at one of the newer cars MAS file and I think there are five files, each DDS file is smaller than the next. So for example 1024 x 1024, then 512 x 512, 256 x 256 and so on.

I assume the largest one is used on the car selection menu, and the smaller ones are on the timing screen, setup screen, etc. :)

5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Depends on how many submissions you have, I'm nearly there on mine.

If I'm the only one (or there are only a couple of us), would it be easier for you to setup the server to download liveries? Up to you :)

6. Ken Jagger

Whoops - getting my Sims mixed up here :oops: Of course we always have our servers set for skin downloads, so no need for skin pack to be compiled at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Took me a while but all done.

Obviously I took inspiration from the 2021 Williams livery just to see if I could do it justice. Complete car set including my helmet and gloves. Works really well on the Renault.

I re-did the template slightly and remade all the fastener screws, and the plates that adjust the wings too. Lots of little details like higher-res carbon fibre. Also remade the standard sponsor logos like elf as they were a bit scrappy.

Shame this car doesn't support the new RF2 material shaders as the real livery has what looks like metallic blue paint but otherwise I think the finished article looks great.

Hoping to do this livery justice and will start practising now! lol. BTW these screengrabs were done using the new S397 Monza release, stunning work as usual.

https://twitter.com/design_apex (my twitter page if anyone wishes to follow my livery and other work)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Being that he's a huge Williams fan I did create a version for Craig as well, not sure though if he'll join this league, he has commitments with the GPVWC which I know requires a huge amount of his spare time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

So we don't need to send skins till 3rd July to create a skin pack right? We will use automatic skin transfer, is this correct?

Cheers guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yes it looks that way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ken Jagger

Yes Rui, forget the need to send me the skins.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ken Jagger

Awesome work Andrew :) I thought I was a patient type of guy, but you go way over my persistence level. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Can someone point me to the template of the FR please?

13. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I'll be home in a few hours, I'll put up a link to the copy I have.

I was unable to find one in the templates folder of RF2 but managed to find one via the S397 forums.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Ok, for anyone who needs it.

Here's a link to a collection of template files for the Renault 3.5

These are blanked versions of my alterations so has all the new rivets, carbon fiber texture, etc. I've left the Renault logo on the helmet and racesuit.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nAh-ndholW2uxRxSVeO8QaPgu7AqTmwU?usp=sharing

Naming routine example:

alt55.dds (main car livery)
    alt55Driver.dds (driver suit)
    alt55Helmet.dds (driver helmet)
    alt55Extra0.dds (driver gloves 1)
    alt55Extra1.dds (driver gloves 2)

The gloves texture is a basic fabric "square". Apply a blend mode on a separate layer to change the colour.

All files must be saved as DXT5 as you need the alpha layers.

If you want multiple files as above, it usually only works if you compile them into a MAS file (in the above case alt55.mas) easier for uploading into the server as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

This is an interesting version of the mod.

There is a car pack setup by a league on the Steam Workshop that uses the Renault 3.5

Exactly the same as the S397 car but they redid the car model with the IBL shaders so I redid the skin using that setup.

For those that don't know it allows you to apply different material characteristics to different parts of the car.

Car looks really cool now, metallic blue flip paint, matt and shiny vinyl's, the white is now matt and the carbon is glossy.

It's identical to the S397 car but just has the newer shader facility. So I'll probably practice in this one as it's more sparkly and shiny, haha.

Then switch to the other car for the server, it may work as the car category is the same but not 100% sure until I try.

[​IMG]

16. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Tell me about it, sometimes I need to tell myself to stop! :rolleyes:

The worst is probably Assetto Corsa you can have 100's of livery details if you want but it's very hard work and I've done a few cars that have taken way too long. :confused:

• Like Like x 1