General info & Series Rules

Discussion in 'Best Fantasy Tracks Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Dec 16, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

SRO default nw 04.jpg

WELCOME TO THE BEST FANTASY TRACKS SERIES

Register here

I wanted to do this series for a while now, but couldn't find the right car for it. But now I have with the Ferrari F50 1995.
    The focus of sim racing has always been on "realistic tracks", but there are so many fantasy tracks out there that are a blast to drive.
    So this is a series for anyone who just wants to have a lot of fun throwing the car around on some epic fantasy racing tracks.

There are 3 City street circuits and 3 road circuits in this series, so there is something for everyone.

The Ferrari F50 1995 is perfect for these tracks as you have almost no setup options and are basically driving a car with a "fixed" setup.
    That means that you don't have to spend a lot of time building a setup and can just go out on track learning the circuits. So that's perfect for this series.

The only thing that you have to focus on is the "tire pressure" because on default setup the pressure is too high and the tires will overheat.
    Just lower the tire pressure until they all stay "green" after 3 laps.

Ferrari F50 1995
    upload_2020-12-16_11-2-12.png

App) Helicorsa_V6

Helicorsa is a app that detects cars close to you, so contact can be avoided.
    You must have this app installed and activated to take part in this series.
    Download: https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/resources/helicorsa_v6.442/
    More info: www.youtube.com/watch?v=koCDJJR_EoA

Please have this app installed for this series.

How does each race start?
    All races will have a standing start.
    There is no formation lap.
    There is no mandatory pit stop.

No-shows
    If a driver does not show up for a race without unregistering for that event or letting me know that he can't make it in the event-forum, he will be taken out of the complete series.

(You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the race you can't do.)

No Esc. on track rule in Qualification
    In qualification you can not press Escape (Esc.) while on track (if you crash) and then go back out again.
    If you want to do another run, you have to come into the pits first.

This is to protect the other drivers from someone taking abnormal risks to set a good lap time and crashing (other cars).

Teamspeak
    Teamspeak is one of the features of Sim Racing Online.
    If you would like to hook up with other drivers on Teamspeak before the race (or any time), here is the forum link for the SRO Teamspeak address and password:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/threads/teamspeak-ip-address-password.19/

For who are not familiar with Teamspeak, you need to add the Sim Racing Online channel to your "bookmarks".

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Pity that races are fridays, maybe I can skip pubs and join couple races...

3. John vd Geest

Friday was the only day left on the calendar. I saw you guys talking that it was a shame that you had to wait so long until the new league season starts.
    So I took leave of my SRO vacation to set something up I always wanted to do.

I know most of you are hardcore for realism, but ... step outside the old comfort-zone and you will have a blast on these tracks. It's just a fun series after all to rip up some tarmac. It's Need For Speed with proper physics. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

Oh wow, thanks for putting this up, John :) Make sure you've got this series link in your signature too hahh
    Well, you can count me in and I hope everyone else can find time on Fridays to relax a bit before the real AC season starts next year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

Given that we will be live in lockdown or we will get curfewed for the rest of our life in Italy, that leaves us not so much alternatives during week ends at the moment... I'll try to join the 1st race I guess. If you see a fireball Grosjean style during the event, you already know... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. John vd Geest

Good call. Will do that :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tudor Morris

Tudor Morris Pro Driver

Thirteen pages of discussion for a new AC series only to find out it won't be starting until March, then out of the blue a fantasy series in a road car o_O I must be smoking the wrong brand :D

8. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

There's a new Assetto Corsa champ starting on 4th of January. Single make Cayman GT4 ;). It's a double event every single monday. You can give it a try Tudor ;)

https://simracingonline.co.uk/racing/seriesinfo/218

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tudor Morris

Tudor Morris Pro Driver

I was signed up to this but then realised it will be a 2 race format so dropped out as it is not my thing. Might give it another look

10. John vd Geest

The Fantasy tracks series is not a league series, just a bit of fun while we wait for March.
    Besides that, might I point out that all we are doing here is fantasy. Even the "realistic tracks" are a fantasy on your screen. It's a video game, but very enjoyable. :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  11. John vd Geest

Car update

Assetto Corsa league member Filip Stoyanovich updated the car, taking out TC and ABS which the real car doesn't have, worked on the sound and a lot of other stuff.
    The car has really come alive now. Please download and try it. There will be a final update later this week and then we will replace that final version with the current one.

Updated Ferrari F50 1995

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

*Quoted from here* : https://simracingonline.co.uk/threa...for-a-new-series-here.9249/page-14#post-47842
    Mhh.. Not exactly this. I'll try to make a video as you suggested and see if one can hear what I mean through it.

About the brakes : please could you consider adding a "braking strenght" setting as all Kunos cars have since a few years ? It's very usefull for people to adapt this software aspect to their hardware.
    About tyres temps : They looked quite fine to me yet, better than the original ones, in which we can have way too much tyre pressure and low temp, even while overdriving the car.
    About tyres durability : They were rather easy to deteriorate but maybe it's fine like this ? Could be necessary to change tyres in a 45mn race format as it is, so why not ? They're semi-slick after all, so not supposed to keep healthy for so much time..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Filip Stoyanovich

Thank you very much for your inputs so far, Maxime :)

OK. I thought maybe the problem was with many cars and audio sources on track so I tried that. But it didn't show any problems there. Don't really know what could make crackling sounds, except maybe the samples' quality and variety is not great and something in them is looping and might be bothering you. It didn't bother me, and despite the quality as it is, I like the overall tone of it. I tell you, if you still have the old mod sound files, you can reoplace the ones I've put in with those old ones, and you'll have no problems online, guaranteed. Tested that many times online with different cars and sound mods ;)

OK, I've added Braking power to the setup page. I know it's default with many cars, but I saw it was not there originally, and I thought OK I can get used to it no problem and it's supposed to be just a street car, despite being also a 90s supercar. Anyway, I understand those reasons with different hardware so I got it in.

Alright, good. Semislicks should be stickier and will not last as long as street tires, especially with race track use. So I have set it kind of like that. Maybe they're too good, we'll see. Right now with default car I think there shouldn't be any problems to do 60-80 km on a track with big radius fast corners like Mosport or Spa with running tire temps between 70-80C. 80ish would be optimum for grip. The wear will show in slower and slower laptimes of course. And locking up hard, sliding and fish tailing generally will heat up the tires which will wear out the threads faster. In rear particularly. Realistically you could still be driving them, why not, but it will be at a second or a few off the pace. You can set them to pressures lower than 30 for example which will increase tire temperature (and wear) but will get them closer to the optimum pressures range for grip. It would be ideal if you could nail both but it was proven to me that in AC, temperatures are more important. Every couple clicks of psi down should bring in couple more degrees Celsius into your tire core average temp. Running them over 85-90C in the core will be close to overheating, wearing out faster and prone to loosing grip a bit more easily. Nothing new.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Filip Stoyanovich

So far, I've seen only one major problem right now. The car, the car model in fact, is extremely detailed in number of triangles and objects. Couple of times more than Kunos' F40.
    The car model had no LODs. But I created some of them the easy and fastest way like any other lazy person. Not great like a dedicated 3D modeler would do it, but it works.

As you all know, or some of you at least, in gaming LODs are Levels of Detail for objects in game that will show the model in less and less detail as it moves farther and farther away from the camera (or your position in 3D space from which you are looking at that object). Basically, for a true model (the most detailed one for looking at up close) there are copies of it but with less and less details, called usually LOD B, LOD C and LOD D. In AC it is those 3 additional levels usually. The game loads those up when they are too far away to see all the details anyway. This is needed to help the computer make less calculations with a lot of objects on screen and keep the action fluid.

Maybe we can also do this online when possible. But right now, I'd need people who are interested in helping with this to do a little test:

I don't have the latest hardware but I'm still OK for AC online with it. Usually, I run some practice on my own but sometimes run races with AI, but 15-20 AI cars makes my older CPU cough out those CPU warnings. There's CPU time reserved for each AI driver's reactions etc which makes it more difficult to deal with AC eye candy. This extremely detailed car model does give me additional frame drops in some places and will possibly push your hardware too, which I wouldn't like to happen online. Probably no one would.

So, I want you to start a race at the back of the grid, with 10-15 AI cars, on any track that you know you have absolutely no issues running alone or with other AI cars.

I need to know if you have performance issues like frame drops when running these F50 cars with AI (like make sure you have several in front of you - starts and all bunched up getting into turn 1 are really a good test).

Tell me also if you use VR, triple screen or single screen. Give me your results here, just simple answers like:
    - yes it's horrible 30FPS,
    - not that much and I can cope with it, or
    - no problem at all.

I will include those LODs anyway in the final update.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  15. John vd Geest

I have no problem at all.

16. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I tried the updated version.

VR position is wrong in this one, your face is on the steering wheel when you start up. Of course it can be changed but that pushes the UI much forward and my apps are in my field of view now (while I normally have them on the side).

I haven't done the test you proposed yet, I will do that but I noticed I go into reprojection in practice mode. Normally it won't do that. Of course, the track could also be badly optimized. I didn't see your post but what I was assuming is exactly what you have written. The model is probably a model that was picked up from some 3D site and was meant for renders, not for gaming and it lacks LOD's. Slapped some physics on it and there you have it, a Ferrari F50.

While I will do the test with 15-20 AI cars I can tell you now that racing without LOD's is especially taxing in VR. And well, you don't want to do that.. Creating good LOD's is not easy. I know there are tools that will generate you LOD A, B, C, D but the result is not great. There is a reason modelers do it by hand. I also doubt your model is actually good enough (game quality) to start the process.

I have to say I am really having a lot of doubts about this. There are so many quality cars out there, why do we pick some car from some unknown source? Yes, the physics felt better already, but still it feels a bit arcadey to me. It's great that Filip wants to get into car modding but I really fail to see why we would pick this car while there are so many out there that have the quality we want.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. John vd Geest

I think I need to explain the initial idea behind this series.

The series is just meant to have a bit of fun throwing the car around for 45 minutes per event. We're not striving for perfection here.
    If you've got nothing better to do on a Friday evening and want to have a laugh on fantasy tracks, then please sign up. Filip already made big improvements on the Ferrari F50 to accommodate realism, such as taking out the TC and ABS. And the car is challenging and rewarding to drive as it is right now. I'm very pleased with it.
    So if you just want to take your mind of things and relax a bit on a Friday in a car that's fun to drive, you're very welcome to this series. That's all it aims for.
    Fun is the word we are looking for, not realism.

18. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Alright John, I call it simcade fun and reminds me of Gran Turismo really.

But if the model quality and LOD stuff is not fixed it will be a no-go for me most certainly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

@John vd Geest and @Filip Stoyanovich
    I tested with 15 AIs and it was smooth but the first hundreds of meters were a bit less fluent. Keep in mind those AI calculations aren't where AC shines though, and that we won't have that CPU load in multiplayer.

Note : PC Config : LG 24" Single screen ; APC UPS 700 VA ; Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition ; Cooler Master G550M ; Asus Strix Z270F Gaming ; Intel i7-7700K@stock-speed ; Be-Quiet Dark Rock 4 ; G. Skill 2x8 = 16Go PC 19200 Ripjaws ; PNY RTX 2060 Super ; Samsung SSD 850 EVO (500Go) ; Western Digital 1To.

I'm fine with this F50 even if she's not what I would call a classic gem but it's a youngtimer and probably the last true Ferrari imo. Still @Laurent Londes is definitely right when he says we have plenty of great other cars we could start a series with, even if this series is supposed to just be a fun and casual one. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

@Laurent Londes You need save your position and restart the game, so your apps are correct place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1