General info & series rules

Discussion in 'F1 McLaren M23 Season 2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 25, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Welcome to the F1 Mclaren M23 series (season 2)

Rouen 55 race from season 1

**************************************************************************************************

Mclaren M23 History
    It was introduced for the 1973 season and scored pole position with Denny Hulme on its very first outing. Hulme and Peter Revson took three wins between them that season, while rookie Jody Scheckter nearly added a fourth. Scheckter was responsible for one of the biggest accidents Formula One has ever seen, at the 1973 British Grand Prix, when he spun his M23 in front of the pack. Emerson Fittipaldi joined McLaren from Lotus in 1974. His knowledge of the Lotus 72 helped McLaren develop the M23 and that season Fittipaldi gave McLaren its first drivers' and constructors' world championships, beating Ferrari, Tyrrell and Lotus.

Further development in 1975 – including a 6-speed gearbox, a novelty for the time – helped Fittipaldi to second in the drivers' championship behind Niki Lauda, who had the benefit of Ferrari's 312T chassis and McLaren to third in the constructors' championship, behind Ferrari and Brabham. The team experimented with different bodywork styles, including aerodynamic kickups in front of the rear wheels, different nose profiles and extended bodywork in front of the rear wheels, housing the oil coolers. Most of these changes were adopted for the M23 and its successor, the McLaren M26. At the end of 1975 Fittipaldi left the team to join his brother's Copersucar-sponsored Fittipaldi Automotive team. He was replaced by James Hunt, who went on to win a dramatic and controversial 1976 season with the final evolution M23, the M23D.

When the replacement McLaren M26 proved troublesome, Hunt and Jochen Mass relied on the M23 in the early part of the 1977 season, and even though the car was now four years old it was still competitive.

**************************************************************************************************

Mclaren M23
    We will drive only 1 car: the Mclaren M23.
    The Mclaren M23 is a Studio 397 car and is part of the standard content. So it's a free car you can find in the "Mclaren" section.
    Or download the car on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1515642353&searchtext=m23

Skins

Skin pack
    The default "Mclaren M23 Shadow" skin pack is pretty ugly and boring. Therefore we will use a costum skin pack that you can download here:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/resources/f1-mclaren-m23-1975-skins.641/
    To install : extract it to your settings folder (SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings)

You are free to design and use your own carskin aswell !

How does each race start?

All races will have a formation lap, followed by a standing start.

No-shows
    If a driver does not show up for a race without unregistering for that event or letting me know that he can't make it in the event-forum, he will be taken out of the complete series.

(You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the race you can't do.)

No Esc. on track rule in Qualification
    In qualification you can not press Escape (Esc.) while on track (if you crash) and then go back out again.
    If you want to do another run, you have to come into the pits first.

This is to protect the other drivers from someone taking abnormal risks to set a good lap time and crashing (other cars).

Teamspeak
    Teamspeak is one of the features of Sim Racing Online.
    If you would like to hook up with other drivers on Teamspeak before the race (or any time), here is the forum link for the SRO Teamspeak address and password:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/threads/teamspeak-ip-address-password.19/

For who are not familiar with Teamspeak, you need to add the Sim Racing Online channel to your "bookmarks".

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Nordschleife would be a nice track too for this series, they actually raced there in 1975.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John vd Geest

4. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

There's a freeware Nords75 version floating on the net.
    You can find it here:

https://mega.nz/#!CBJnQCZJ!GxuDoBEQG73BUK53WAlQ9yEUqXNaLRtn5vqqQ1GEUyI

Actually I would like to see Jarama being replaced for the Nords. It also may help attract more attendees for the final round.

5. John vd Geest

Thanks for your suggestion, Mark. I know that track, and besides it being a bit "meh" on quality, I would have to invest a lot of time in testing such a big track to see if everything works oke, if there are no track design flaws ect.
    Further more, I don't want to change the tracklist once it's set. In my opinion, Jarama Historic is an exciting and excelent track and very suiteble for online racing.
    In fact, it's the crown jewel of the series :D

6. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Why not a series with some of the newest f1 models.. hybrid engines, fast qualy tires, lots of downforce and drs?
    Older cars are fun, but why not try something new? It could be fun.. :)

7. John vd Geest

I'm also running the rF2 F1 1991, rF2 Porsche Cup and rF2 GT4 Nissan series. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

I'll try the GT4
    Still, just an idea for the future, a good one i might add since we are yet to see at SRO a modern f1 series
    Cheers!

9. John vd Geest

There are plans for another F1 series after the F1 1991. And another modern GT series.
    I have tried Modern F1 mods, but the drivability is somewhat lacking, or there are other problems.
    Right now I'm focusing on the S397 McLaren MP4/8 with a 1993 skin mod. That is one of the best F1 cars right now.

If you know a modern F1 mod, equal or better then the McLaren MP4/8, send me the download link please.
    A thing to remember with that should be that most members should be able to drive it. If you shoot into snap oversteer as soon as you touch the throttle, only a few will have an interest.

10. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  11. John vd Geest

12. John vd Geest

13. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Yes, I will..

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

• Like Like x 2
  16. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

For those that used my skins in the last series I'm more than happy for you to use them in this one :)

17. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I'm going to give it a go John... It looks promising and very (very) challenging :cool:.

18. John vd Geest

Great to see you join Jos.
    Will be good footage for your YouTube channel !! ;):cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. John vd Geest

Race length

I have adjusted the race length to 60 minutes per event for this series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Love to see my skins used again.

For those who used them in the last series you can use them for this series. The following drivers took up the option last series. Are you still going to use my skins for this series. If not I can reallocate them

John vd Geest - Elf
    Toni Talvitie - Elf
    Roberto Bali - Ferrari

For those who want to use my skins these are up for grabs. I'd like to get 2 cars on the grid per skin.

Ferrari - 1 available
    Beta - 2 available

There are some skins in the pipeline but not yet finished. They are the BRM and the Surtees.

Love to see these skins on the grid so if you want something other than the limited skins available then let us know via PM.
    Hope you like them.
    Cheers
    Beta [1].jpg Beta [2].jpg GRAB_014.JPG GRAB_015.JPG GRAB_016.JPG