rFactor 2 Indy 125 Race

Discussion in 'Indy 125 2020 Closed' started by Ken Jagger, May 18, 2020.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up

2. Ken Jagger

A reminder of the rules for everyone who is going to race.

Rolling start with pace car: The game will show on-screen instructions as we start the pace laps. The race start will have 2 pace laps behind the pace car, after lap one if we are all in the correct starting order, when the pace car crosses the line it's lights will go out. This signifies that we will go green at the line next time around. If the pace car lights stay on we need to do another lap. The main reason for a failed start is cars being out of order.

Once the pace car pulls off after Turn 4 into the pit lane , stay at pace car speed until the green light comes on. No hanging back to take a run at the car ahead or increasing speed before the green light.

Cautions will be on so the pace car will come out whenever the yellow comes on. Slow down and be ready to form up behind the pace car. The game will give on screen instructions as to where you need to be and who you should follow.

The Pits will be open to lead lap cars ONLY the first time by, then open to all on the next pass. You will see the X for pits if they are closed to you. The penalty for entering closed pits is a drive through.

The server will be set for Private qualifying with a total of 6 laps, which includes the outlap and inlap, so only 4 timed laps are allowed in total. Exceeding this will require you to start the race from the pit lane.
    If you crash during your qualifying and you want to run again, if time allows, then you must drive back to your pitbox. You can NOT USE ESC to return to the pits. If you do you must remain there as your qualifying session is OVER.

PIT STOPS
    When making a pit stop under green lap running, you MUST use the pit entry lane which starts before T3. DO NOT slow down in T4 and enter the pits from there. However under a Yellow caution period you may enter the pits after T4. Rejoining the track when exiting the pits must be done by merging carefully after T2 onto the back straight, not between T1 and T2.

Restarts after Yellow
    Do not pass the car ahead before the start/finish line otherwise you will receive a penalty.

3. Ken Jagger

4. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

I assume the blue flag rule (if active) do not apply on this race?

5. Ken Jagger

Blue flags are for information only. However it is fairly simple to ease of the gas pedal on the two long straights to allow lapping cars a safe passage. Do not make late or unexpected changes in speed or direction for upcoming cars, as that will only lead to disaster on such a high speed oval.
    Faster cars should not be aggressive in trying to force a pass and choose the right time and place to do it safely.

This race is all about keeping it clean, avoiding damage and not fighting for every corner on every lap. Save it for the final 10 laps when it will actually count.

6. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

I remember it was a few questions and different opinions after the last time we run this event, so I would like it to be crystal clear (for everyone).
    You can be one lap behind because of pit strategy so if you have the blue flag, you are not obliged to help the driver behind to pass, correct?

Either it should be an rule to let cars pass if you have the blue flag within a few turns, or not.
    (it might be better to let an faster driver to pass, but then it's more of your own strategic decision than an rule)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

If you google blue flags in ovals, you get this:

Blue flag with diagonal yellow stripe:
    This flag alerts a driver that a faster, lead-lap car is about to pass him and he must yield to that car.

Blue Flag (blue with diagonal yellow stripe)
    – Indicates faster cars are approaching. This flag is informational
    only. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the faster car to safely
    overtake the slower car. It is the responsibility of the slower car to
    maintain a consistent line.

SRO rules, Blue Flags
    A blue flag displayed warns the driver that he is about to be lapped by a faster car and must let it pass. A driver may incur penalties if he ignores displayed blue flags.

So we have everything on the scale here :)

8. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Do this SRO rule apply on ovals as well?

3.2 Right to the Line
    The driver in front has the right to choose any line, so long as not to be considered blocking. The driver attempting to make a pass shall have the right to the line when their front wheel is beside the driver of the other vehicle.
    Once the trailing car has its front wheels next to the driver of the other vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has the right to be there and that the leading driver must leave the trailing driver enough "racing room".

One incident during the test races I would assume was because different interpretation of this rule.
    Do you need to have your front wheel next to the driver to own the racing line, or the driver in front has the right to turn in and driver behind will be of fault?

9. Ken Jagger

Without a pit-crew and an "intelligent" spotter on the end of the radio, it can be difficult to keep track of the relative positions (laps) of the cars around you and therefore the actions you should appropriately take. Due to the rigid way that rF2 applies penalties for Blue Flag situations, we no longer use it to manage that and instead use it for information only. With hindsight it is the fairest way to deal with it. We still expect members to respect the intention of the Blue Flag, which means you are about to be lapped. If we had this functionality enabled and you found yourself catching back up after a pit-stop, it would be almost impossible to pass without falling foul of the Blue flag.

If you are faster than a car which is a lap or more ahead of you, then you are free to try and un-lap yourself without incurring an incorrect penalty given by the game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ken Jagger

This rule in all honesty is probably more aligned to road racing than oval racing, although it's principles if not it's specific words can be easily understood for any type of track. On an oval track for a pass to work safely going into a corner/turn, the car attempting the pass needs to be pretty much fully alongside, before the turning in point, for both cars to get through cleanly. With hardly any braking on the Indy oval, any passing attempt needs to be carefully managed by both cars, it's a case of applying common sense. With the limited visibility most of us have in simracing, then caution rather than bravado would be the sensible course of action to take.

As I've said elsewhere it's not about winning every turn but about being around at the end of the race with a car in good condition.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ken Jagger

It does in the real world. Non of the sims we race uses the blue flag for that, only for when you are being caught by a car which is about to lap you.

12. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Hi. What version of rF2 do I need to be in? It's saying that the server is using a different version.

13. Ken Jagger

rF2 was updated to v1118 a couple of days ago. You need to update your client.

14. Caitlin Penny

How do I do that? The latest version I see is v1117.

15. Ken Jagger

Click on "Opt out....."

16. Caitlin Penny

Thanks!

17. Kornelijus Jasiunas

Kornelijus Jasiunas Pro Driver

Where do i find out the password for the server? i applied and my name is on the list.

18. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

19. Ken Jagger

20. Kornelijus Jasiunas

Kornelijus Jasiunas Pro Driver