Assetto Corsa Comp New Tyre model tip

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione' started by Mark Johnson, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

This is worth knowing for those of us in longer races :) so all the nut jobs that drive like crazy on the first lap on cold tyres, take note ;)

The new DHE tyre differs in warm up and grip level compared to the old 2019 tyre compound.
    On 2020 European circuits, the new DHE 2020 tyre compound varies quite a bit to the old tyre in terms of it's behaviour and working range. Whereas the old tyre would take a single lap to reach optimum grip and temperature, the new tyre compound takes generally at least 2-3 laps before it reaches it's oeprating window grip, temperature and pressure wise.

This is especially an important difference in race situations as the tyre is very susceptible to graining until that phase is over. At that point you will feel a very positive step in the balance of the car where the tyres come alive into that working window. It is during that phase where the car doesn't have peak grip from the tyre that you can over work them as you are forcing the tyre to go at a pace it isn't ready for yet. During the early few laps, make sure to take extra care to protect the tyres and ensure the pressures come up into the all important working range (27.3-27.9 psi).

Because the new compound tyre is extremely durable and consistent once worn compared to the old compound, anything you save at the start of the stint graining/wear wise, pays you back later on. It is worth mentioning that tyre pressures are much more sensitive post V1.6, so keeping the tyres in the correct pressure range is of direct importance for grip consistency and stability.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Mark Ekins

Mark Ekins Pro Driver

So how does this work being that we have tracks and cars dated differently. Is the tyre model set depending on the track version i'm running i.e 2018, 2019, 2020. Or just by picking a car out of that year?

If i pick a 2019 car and join a 2020 track online?

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Alex Sander

Alex Sander Pro Driver

The way I understand it the tyre only depends on the version of the track that you are running. This is also the case with BOP. So if you take a "2018" car to a 2020 circuit it will be BOPed to 2020. So all the cars get balanced based on the year of the track that you are running. So you can take an old 488 and someone else an EVO to a 2020 circuit and both cars will be BOPed to have "equal performance."

Now I could be wrong? TBH this subject gives me a headache.

• Like Like x 1