rFactor 2 rFactor 2 F1 1979 Round 4 Silverstone 75 Race Reports & Screens

Discussion in 'The Honey Jar - F1 1979 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 15, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Post all your race reports / video's and screens here please.

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Good moning all,

Well, first of all sadly i want to announce that i'm gonna retire from this championship, the hour is not suitable for my family and personal tasks. The lack of practice (my setup was a mess) and the lack of trying/choosing other cars is also another reason, because when i'm no commited 100% in something i have no fun at all.

Talking about the race, i just want to apologise all guys that were involved in my first corner stupid mistake (lack of practice), but i was caught on the "kerb of death" and my car became uncontrollable, not really my intention or my usual behaviour while racing, so really, really sorry for that!

As i arrived in the server i saw people very fast, with very good lap times, i was nowhere near that performance, but i thought i had a chance in the race... so after the first corner incident my car became in really bad shape, had to pit and returned to the race with the determination to finish in the best possible position. With the wheel turning right the entire race, my front left tire overheating and the back end trying to escape all the time in slow corners, (oh boy that was really a challenge) ruined my wishes to finish in a top3. Anyway i managed to do a 5th position and that was really good for all that happened during this event.

Cheers all and good luck for the rest of the championship, it was a pleasure racing with you, we'll see each other again soon, maybe i'll keep doing the Euro F3 championship ;)

P.S - I agree with Michal, i saw people going over grass lots of times, i agree everybody should have a chance, but seeing same guys on the grass i guess there should be a limit for a worthy driving skills from the admins part...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. John vd Geest

Answering Michal:

When asked, I announced in the warmup that going "wide" in Stowe is accecpted as it is sort of part of the racing line and that you would not get penalize for it.

4. John vd Geest

Sorry to hear it but I understand. I've been there with 2 childeren and not a lot of spare time in the past. But hey, they are now 19 and 21 and I can do what ever the hell I like :p.
    I am not going to judge you over 1 mistake. I know you are one of the better drivers. You are very welcome to join any of the remaining 4 races should you find the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. John vd Geest

Jose Casanovas pressed escape on track in qualifying and rejoined again after that. This is not allowed. It is stated in the rules and I mentioned it before qual.

Jose Casanovas is given a "drive-through" penalty for the next race he will join in this series. This penalty must be served immediately after the first racing lap.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

The race ended for me like this and not differently and now it does not matter to me
    but if you introduce rules that are inconsistent with generally accepted rules and regulations, I would rather read about it on the forum early (I do not agree that this was the racing line, but I have different experience)
    The same for the start. It was established that there is formation lap and ok, but as you can see the deviation in the previous event introduced a small confusion here
    But with this there is no problem, because either there are lights, or there is a message that there is formation lap

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Agree with Michal, every event or specific corner that people can go out (violating the rules), should be informed on the forum.

Example: "All drivers CAN GO wide on first corner" or "Nobody is allowed to go wide on (X) corner, allways 2 wheels on tarmac"

8. John vd Geest

Formationlap: At Dijon the server was not setup correctly to have a formationlap. That was not a rule change :). So we had a formationlap for Silverstone as we should have had in Dijon. Sorry for the confusion.
    Stowe: you are right. I should have posted it in the forum before the race. I was just under the impression that it was so obvious that people would go wide there as it is also part of the pre-layed racingline by the track developper as you can see by the default rubbered racingline.

To avoid future confusion the rules will always be applied unless stated differently my me on the forum before the race. Thanks Michal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

Just copied & pasted my race report in the right thread:p

Qualified in P9, finished in P6...my car got damage on the first lap by taking avoiding action and hitting the cones but at least the car was relatively ok to drive, right handers were my main issue. After a lap or so things settled down, in my hud I was keeping a steady eye on John (VD Geest), at first he was 17 seconds behind and was slowly but surely closing in on me, at one point John closed the gap to about 6 seconds and I was expecting a battle but then for some reason he fell back (assuming he had a spin), thereafter Luis caught back up..got passed and then went off...caught back up again and passed me again..Lol. Last lap was exciting when Rui had a go and made it through, all fair no problem although I was rather frustrated about a couple of peeps who wanted to unlap themselves which cost me time and probably 5th place in hindsight.

Next race I am taking the Williams

Regards,
    Bret

10. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

Q: only P7 but I was driving on another track ;)
    R: P3

Start: I managed to get to t1, this time it was not good luck for others, thanks to which I had a calm and boring race. The track eliminated more drivers and so I climbed to the third position.

No preparation for the race, poor tactics and generally poor pace. Fuel for a lot, and the tires I used maybe 10% I should have taken soft tires

The fourth race, the fourth car, but due to the fact that the previous two races could not be completed, I will probably take Williams and Renault again.

Thanks for the race.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sorry to hear you are leaving Rui. And that was a rare mistake by you at the start. But it happens to us all. Hope you come back soon.

I think it's time to turn the damage up to 100%. Maybe that way all drivers will be more careful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Race report

I had fun.

Over and out. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I was stupid.

Have to stop multitasking while racing.
    Once I ate an apple during race and it slipped and hit esc.
    Not to mention numerous beer can hssles...

This time I was just dreaming and crashed solo on a bloody straight line.

14. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

I hope you can join another one or two Rui, you never know you might get an opportunity if your personal tasks get done,take it as it comes.

I am also sorry that you overtook me on the last lap............:D

Regards,
    Bret

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Thanks Bret, let's see if it's possible, but not easy... anyway great fight on last lap, allways a pleasure when we fight with clean drivers ;)

Good luck mate!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. John vd Geest

We had 4 races and 4 big crashes at the start. This can not go on! The Patience of a lot of drivers is running out.
    From now on we will have 4 clean starts and give everyone a change to enjoy the FULL race.

ADDITIONAL RULE TO THE STARTPROCEDURE:

As of now there will be a "safe zone" for the start. You can not overtake in that safe zone and the polesitter has to keep his speed at 120 km/h = 74 miles. Cars will have to drive behind eachother. If you do overtake in the safe zone, you get a drive through penalty for the next race. Not very realistic, but all those crashes arn't either.

Procedure:

1. start formationlap
    2. go to startingbox
    3. start at the green light
    4. go through the safe zone at 120 km/h
    5. start the race at the end of the safe zone

The safe zone for Spa will be from the startline till right after Eau Rouge.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Missing the video :) and the Replay :p

18. John vd Geest

There was not a lot of quality to show with a few exceptions (my driving was also pretty poor). Putting a video like that out does not promote SRO. We already had 3 video's with major accidents. If we make a good show of the next 4 races I'm back on it.

I believe with the safe zone in place, things will turn for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Fair enough.
    I also believe the safe zone will make things better. It has a cost, but until we get it right, it's the a good solution!

Just upload the replay when you get the chance, if you don't mind.
    I would like to see it, always do ;)
    Thank you!

20. Sim Racing Online

Sim Racing Online Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sergio Casanovas has been given a Drive-Thru Penalty for causing an accident at Silverstone. The drive-thru must be performed within the first three laps at Spa.