rFactor 2 Round 1 Zandvoort 2021 - Wed Sep 14, 2022

Discussion in 'Austin Mini Cooper S MK1 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 13, 2022.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Mini Cooper kop.png

ROUND 1 ZANDVOORT 2021

Since 1985
    To solve a number of problems that had made it impossible to develop and upgrade the track, the most important one being noise pollution for the inhabitants of the part of Zandvoort closest to the track, the track management adopted and developed a plan to move the most southern part of the track away from the housing estate and rebuild a more compact track in the remaining former 'infield'. In January 1987 this plan got the necessary 'green light' when it was formally approved by the Provincial Council of North Holland. However, only a couple of months later a new problem arose: the company that commercially ran the circuit (CENAV), called in the receiver and went out of business, marking the end of "Circuit van Zandvoort". Again the track, owned by the municipality of Zandvoort, was in danger of being permanently lost for motorsports. However, a new operating company, the Stichting Exploitatie Circuit Park, was formed and started work at the realization of the track's reconstruction plans. Circuit Park Zandvoort was born and in the summer of 1989 the track was remodeled to an interim Club Circuit of 2.526 km (1.570 mi), while the disposed southern part of the track was used to build a Vendorado Bungalow Park and new premises for the local football and hockey clubs.

In 1995, CPZ (Circuit Park Zandvoort) got the "A Status"[clarification needed][citation needed] of the government of the Netherlands and began building an international Grand Prix Circuit. This project was finished in 2001 when, after the track was redesigned to a 4.307 km (2.676 mi) long circuit and a new pits building was realized (by HPG, the development company of John Hugenholtz Jr., son of the former director), a new grandstand was situated along the long straight. One of the major events that is held at the circuit, along with DTM and A1GP, is the RTL Masters of Formula 3, where Formula Three cars of several national racing series compete with each other (originally called Marlboro Masters, before tobacco advertising ban). A noise restriction order was responsible for this event moving to the Belgian Circuit Zolder for 2007 and 2008. However, the race returned to its historical home in 2009.

[​IMG]
    2013 DTM race in Zandvoort
    Circuit Park Zandvoort played host to the first race in the 2006/07 season of A1 Grand Prix from 29 September–1 October 2006. On 21 August 2008, the official A1GP site reported that the 2008/09 season's first race has moved from the Mugello Circuit, Italy to Zandvoort on the 4–5 October 2008 due to the delay in the building the new chassis for the new race cars. The Dutch round moved to TT Circuit Assen in 2010. A1GP bankrupted before its fifth season and the Dutch round was replaced with Superleague Formula.

[​IMG]
    Race track Circuit Zandvoort (2018)
    In November 2018 reported that Formula One Management (FOM) had invited the owners of the Zandvoort race track to make a proposal to stage a Grand Prix race in 2020. In March 2019, it was confirmed that a letter of intent had been signed between Zandvoort and FOM to stage the Dutch Grand Prix, dependent on private funding being secured to cover the cost of hosting the race. A deadline of 31 March 2019 was set for a final decision to be made. On 14 May 2019 it was confirmed that Zandvoort would host the Dutch Grand Prix for 2020 and beyond for a duration of at least three years, with the option to host another two years beyond that. Several alterations were made to the track to bring it up to date with F1 standards, including adding banking to turn 14 (Arie Luyendijkbocht) and turn 3 (Hugenholtzbocht), but the layout as a whole remained the same. The municipality of Zandvoort invested four million euros into the infrastructure around the circuit to improve the accessibility to the track. On 29 August 2019, the 2020 Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort was placed 5th race on the draft schedule, listed on 3 May 2020, between China and Spain. The 2020 scheduled appearance was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, however F1 racing did finally return to the circuit on 5 September 2021. On 17 September 2019, it was announced that Zandvoort would host the FIA Formula 2 Championship and FIA Formula 3 Championship, replacing the series' support races at Circuit Paul Ricard.

Race 1 Zandvoort 2018 R-tech Welding Equipment S class mini 7

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  2. John vd Geest

Cadwell Park v1.55 has been replaced with S397 Zandvoort 2021.
    With the new build v1130 Cadwell Park is much too bright on the server.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John vd Geest

4. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. This event will be broadcasted
    This event will be broadcasted by Rob Milliken.

2. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

3. Zandvoort Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 7
    4) This race has 100% damage
    5) There is no mandatory pitstop
    6) This event has a standing start

4. The server password will be changed on race day. You can find the password for the race server on the Zandvoort event page.

5. You can find the server by first typing sro

6. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

7. No-shows (keeping the entry list real)

If a driver does not show without unregistering for that event or letting us know that he can't make it on the event forum, he will be removed from the series.
    If he is no longer interested in the series, it's fine like it is.
    If he forgot about the event, he can sign up for the series again.

(You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the event you can't do.)

8. Please use the same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

9. Last but not least ... SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Who will be streaming the race tonight?

6. John vd Geest

Rob Milliken.

7. Neil Wood

Do we get a prize if we are the first to roll over? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. John vd Geest

No, but you will be very popular :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rob Swindells

Rob Swindells Pro Driver

What a fantastic race, the first 4 laps were amazing. Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neil Wood

That was fun :D
    I suck... but it was fun, I'll post my race review later and I am sorry in advance that I pissed myself laughing at a mini on it's roof in the closing laps :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. John vd Geest

I think I missed that. Will watch the replay.

12. Viktor Takács

Viktor Takács Pro Driver

Awesome fun in the minis!
    Started out well, even got up to 4th at one point with John attacking from behind, but some kerb threw my car off and I crashed.
    From then I had some suspension damage and I was down on top speed as well, but had a great battle with Caitlin in the last couple of laps.
    At the end some excursions put me up to 7th, with which I'm satisfied for my first rFactor2 race.

Great fun, let's keep it up in the next race as well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. John vd Geest

Came up to steam pretty late. Had a hard time closing the gap to Roel because we were doing the same times.
    Only in the final laps I got closer.
    When the 2 leaders crashed Roel got through safely and got first place (yeah, you have to be there LOL), while I was pushed out by 1 of the rejoining cars and had to wait for everybody to pass. Looking forward to Anglesey. Great track.

14. Neil Wood

My stream POV

Saw a bit of action from the back of the grid!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. John vd Geest

We at SRO feel that every driver should feel protected by the rules and regulations, so if there was stuff going on in the race that you would like to address, you can file a protest after the 24-hour cool down period through the mail to me and I will pass it on to 2 neutral admins.

16. John vd Geest

No-shows (keeping the entry list real)
    If a driver does not show up without unregistering for that event or letting us know that he can't make it on the event forum, he will be removed from the series.
    If he is no longer interested in the series, it's fine like it is.
    If he forgot about the event, he can sign up for the series again.
    (You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the event you can't do.)

The following drivers have been removed from the series:
    Karl Steeg
    Rui Simões
    Dan Houk

17. John vd Geest

Race results

The race results are up. They are however provisional due to possible penalties that will be issued after the stewards reviewed submitted protests.
    Given penalties will be posted publically.

18. John vd Geest

I forgot to congratulate my teammate Roel on the win of this round.
    He was close enough to take the lead after the front-runners incident, so well deserved.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Neil Wood

Race Report
    Started on the back row and got a shocking start. At least I could see where the start lights were! I was very cautious in the first few turns with so many little cars around. A few locked brakes and rear wheels in the air but we all go through the first lap.

It seemed I had better pace in the race, either that or others were slower when battling with others. Momentum was everything!

Early on in the race I saw Rob Swindells and Caitlin Penney had lost some places and were near the back near me. I tried to see if I could hold onto the back of them, get that needed draft on the main straight.

I always struggled with the banked left corner, couldn't quite figure out my line or how to carry momentum. I would go up the inside of cars on the inside but would not have momentum on exit. A couple of times making these moves up the inside I was pretty shocked that some drivers on the outside would come down the banking to have side by side contact instead of just sticking to their normal line around the outside. I couldn't really go anywhere else but pinned to the inside kerb.

Picked off a few places with a few having mistakes. I was especially proud when I was able to push them (figuratively) into a mistake. I love a bit of race craft to outwit opponents.

Up to 7th in the final laps and the spotter mentions there is a yellow flag at turn 1. I nearly steer off the track laughing when seeing a mini on it's roof. I did do a channel points prediction on my stream asking viewers if I would roll the car in this race. I was so scared of that huge orange sausage kerb! Thankfully I wasn't to be a casualty and the tyres held together without wear. They got a little HOT, but not wearing so much.

Top 5, I'll take it! I can't drive FWD to save my life so these races are always going to a challenge. Some of these tracks I have never even tried before. Let's hope Wales is kind next week!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. John vd Geest

Chris Belfield has been given a 25 seconds penalty on the end result for rejoining the racing track unsafely after a previous off and thereby pushing another driver out of the track.
    The penalty is for not doing an immediate drive-through or giving the position back.