rFactor 2 Round 1 Donington Natl

Discussion in 'BTCC Winter Cup Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. Sean Devlin

Sean Devlin Pro Driver

Sorry Gentlemen am going to have to miss round one. c u all at round two...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ken Jagger

PLEASE NOTE
    Any member who has entered this series and does not turn up, for this and the 2nd race, will be removed from the entry list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

A shame I couldn't make the race in the end but I no point in trying the race with medium imo...
    Maybe this serie will need some more precisions... because the defaut setup doesn't allow hard tire... which, I guess, a fair amount of the field won't be aware of... So considering the race is 45min and medium do not last long enough, even being very careful... it might be an issue. I was aware of it, and still it ended up an issue for me.

That aside, hope you all had a good race. See you guys around.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

I have a question for the future
    if I qualify, I will go for a soft tire
    Can I race on a hard tire?

It seems to me that choosing the qualifying tires determines the use of the right combination in the race

6. Riccardo Alitta

Riccardo Alitta Pro Driver

I qualify with soft and start race with medium

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken Jagger

There are 3 Tyre options in the Tuning Menu:
    1. Standard = Softs, Meds & Wets
    2. Mediums = Meds, Hard & Wets
    3. Hard = Hards & Wets

The mod developers based this on the tyres used by the BTCC at various tracks, as it explains in the Tuning Menu.
    rF2 will actually let you choose which of the 3 tyre packages you want to use, before joining the server, but you cannot then choose a tyre type in the Garage menu which isn't in the Tuning Package. It's all very clear to me.
    Also once you have chosen the Tyre option for Qual, we do not want to see members leaving the server after Qual to change any of the tuning options that might be available in any mod e.g. Aero, tyres etc.

Medium tyres do last long enough if you both create a setup that looks after them and also drive accordingly so you don't kill them too early. I ran Med's in the race and they still had plenty of grip left at the end.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

We'll have to agreed to disagree on this one... This is no coincidence that the winner of this race went with hard tire.
    While it might be true that medium are manageable with a race pace 1 or 2 seconds slower... with faster pace, even with tire management in mind, make no sense to go with medium for 45min with those car. I would loose against myself everytime with medium against hard...

But since you told me we could change car 'tuning'... why not do it... that's were the misunderstanding came from. But that's good to make it clear anyway for the rest of this series. Thanks for that.

9. Hakan Aslan

Hakan Aslan Pro Driver

was there some drivers that left after quali, i think during warm up and came than back ? if so i think thats not acceptable or is it allowed to do that ? and why i started 3.rd , my quali time was 6 th. ?
    about the race : was happy to star 3 rd but i miss the start light , thnx my phone , lost 3-4 places i think. and because of that mistake i get mad and drive at panic level and made a big mistake at the right corner after hill down , lost control and place 15 .. at least finished 10 with 1 pitstop for tyres and 1 drive trough bec of to early throttle at pit out.. will look forward but what i can see from the lap times , the championship will be hard and close seems to me .

10. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

You can leave after quali and return without issue.
    If you leave, change the tuning menu and return, then you are put to the back of the grid (which is why you moved up positions on the grid from qualifying position)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Basically I think this was an misunderstanding, in chat it was asked if tuning (change compound) was allowed
    and it was confirmed ok, and the tuning menu is available as well during practice.

Not sure when, but in warmup the menu was not available, and I got the impression that, for some it was.
    (but afterward I understand they probably meant before you enter the track)

So I (who had soft for qualy) went out and back, then in chat it was mention in/out was not ok,
    but on the other hand I got an -13 places penalty for doing this (did not know this either),
    in other leagues, going in/out during warmup is usually not an problem.

So for the reminder rounds I'm sure admin will make it crystal clear if leaving is ok and change compound (and take the penalty),
    or if you have to stick with compounds you have when entering qualy.

Edit:
    But it was a good race either way with some overtaking and manage the tyres at the same time,
    Roel was closing in rather fast on the final 2-3 laps, got a bit close last corner before chicane but did
    an minor mistake so I could rather easy keep my 5th position.

12. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

The plan was to start on hards, and run them till the end.

Running 4th early on, with Sergy in the lead, the 4 of us pulling away from those behind.
    Grabbed 3rd from Victor, then 2nd from Michal, and finally the lead from Sergy.
    Sergy came back at me into T1 and ran deep onto the grass, then just quit from the game. (That was quite disappointing, leading for 13 laps, losing the lead then quitting)

Then I made an error into Mcleans and Michal and Victor dropped me back to 3rd again.

At half race distance I noticed I'd only lose 4 spots (2 of those to team mates) if I pitted for fresh tyres so took the gamble.
    Then it was a chase to try to make back up those position (Roel, Jens & Nikolaj) with the fresh tyres.
    Managed to pass Nicolaj with 6 laps left, and assumed I was back in 4th, only to notice Victor right behind me (must have also pitted for tyres) and I was actually in 3rd.

Had to defend the position a couple of times in the last couple of laps, but managed to hold onto 3rd.

Congrats Michal (great pace at the end without changing tyres) and Bill for the podium.

Unlucky to Jens for qualifying 2nd, but then changing tuning so having to start at the back. Great drive back up to 5th.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ken Jagger

Now that we better understand the implications of the Tuning option for the available tyres, it seems to me that the best way forward with the remaining races in the series, is to follow the intent of the developers and use the tyre options they have outlined in the Tuning Menu for the specific tracks identified.
    So what does that mean? Well it will go like this:

Oulton Park - Standard
    Croft - Medium
    Snetterton - Standard
    Thruxton - Hard
    Knockhill - Standard
    Silverstone - Medium
    Brands Hatch - Standard

Anybody found to be using tyres from a different Tuning option to these will be DQ from the race.

14. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Running 45m with fwd without mandatory pitstop, the subaru will have an unfair advantage imo. At Donington the wear was easy 10%-20% on hard, subaru 40-50% on medium (fl), would say 1/2 race using medium is a challenge it self with fwd, even with an optimized setup.

Using fixed compounds most likley there only going to be rwd in top in every race. I think in btcc these car was running shorter races and not 45m?

But using qualy compound set in race as well is ok, then you can make your strategic choice.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

I'm really sorry Ken, I completely forgot about the race. I had some problems yesterday and the race just vanished out of my mind :oops:.

16. Ken Jagger

We are not using Fixed compounds in the future races. The Standard, Medium, Hard options refer to the Tuning Options available. Standard and Medium include two compounds + Wets. Only the Hard Option is limited to Hard + Wets.
    These Tyre Tuning options mirror what was available in the actual BTCC races, so Softs + Hards were never part of the same option.

17. Hakan Aslan

Hakan Aslan Pro Driver

ken can i take a other car for the next race or do we must continue with same one ?

18. Ken Jagger

The series planning did not allow for car changes, other than skins of course, so I prefer that we all keep using the same car we started with.