Assetto Corsa Comp Round 1 Donington

Discussion in 'SRO Tuesday Night Racing Ginetta G55 GT4 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

gt4 r1.jpg
    Registration

Donington Park is a motorsport circuit located near Castle Donington in Leicestershire, England. The circuit business is now owned by Jonathan Palmer's MotorSport Vision organisation, and the surrounding Donington Park Estate, still owned by the Wheatcroft family, is currently under lease by MotorSport Vision until 2038.[2] It has a capacity of 120,000.

Originally part of the Donington Hall estate, it was created as a racing circuit during the period between the First and Second World Wars when the German Silver Arrows were battling for the European Championship. Used as a military vehicle storage depot during the Second World War, it fell into disrepair until bought by local construction entrepreneur Tom Wheatcroft. Revived under his ownership in the 1970s, it hosted a single Formula One race, but became the favored home of the British round of the MotoGP motorcycling championship.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Rob Milliken

Race Day PW set on the Champ page!

Start: Full form lap
    No mandatory pit stops.
    Zero contact lap 1 rule is in effect
    30 min sprint!
    Good luck All !~~!:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Simone Meazza

Simone Meazza Pro Driver

Sorry Rob, i have a questione

in General Info i founded this

upload_2021-4-27_11-54-10.png

But now you write "Start: Full form lap"

what do you mean "Full Form Lap"?

4. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

Simone i think Rob means that the formation lap will be a complete lap and not a short one that is 2 corners before the strait line.. Rob correct me if i am wrong.. :)

5. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Pro Driver Donator

I can't find the Zero contact lap one rule. Can someone link me please.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob Milliken

Doh Yes sory its a typo. We will be using the LONG Formation Lap.
    The original post in GI has been edited...

7. James Houghton

James Houghton Pro Driver

Same, any help appreciated!

8. Rob Milliken

The Zero Contact rule was introduced in the GT3 series & cary's over to all ACC events ..
    Its basically just like the regular punt/contact rule .
    If you make contact that throws another driver off track or into a spin on lap 1 it's an instant drive threw, bumping doors with no spin or off is ok . The difference between the zero contact lap 1 rule & the regular punt rule is you must do a DT .. with the regular punt rule you are allowed to wait & give the position back to avoid a DT.

9. Rob Milliken

You are correct & the General information post has been fixed! thanks guys!

10. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

That was a hoot!
    The start was bonkers from 3rd, as soon as we were through Redgate and lined up to go down the Craners visibility dropped to near zero - I could just make out Alex's rear bumper in the spray but couldn't even see the road more than a few meters ahead :cool:
    God knows how the midfield and rear of the grid could see anything!

I seemed to have good pace for the first 3 laps or so and stayed right with Alex until I out-braked myself and ran very wide. After that we held equal for a while but then I started dropping back.
    Can I ask if anyone knows the correct pressure for wets? I was at something like 31.5 PSI from the point I started to drop back and am wondering if that was my issue..

Anyway it was god fun doing a full wet race for a change (we can expect loads of them in the British rounds if we're keeping the weather real :D)
    My biggest shock was caused by a calculator fail, in the final 2 laps I ended up loosing nearly all of the gap I'd pulled from Simone in the race while frantically fuel saving to ensure I made it to the line. I managed half a doughnut after the finish and then ran out :oops:

I'll get the dog to double check my calculations next race, as based on last night she is probably better at it than me...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Simone Meazza

Simone Meazza Pro Driver

Wooooow, I go into practice, and I find the flood! Never tried under water, I do a few laps, but without a setup I see it hard.

Qualifying begins, and I try a gamble, I take my setup from dry, and I change only the wing, and tires, and I start. I get an unexpected 4th place!

The race starts, under the deluge, and behind 3 extraterrestrials, incredibly for the first laps I remain attached to TIM, and for most of the race I stay a couple of seconds, unfortunately in the last laps, I make mistakes and deadlift.

In the last few laps TIM has a problem, but by now I was too far away to try. Sin! However 4th at the end of the race, I am satisfied with the result considering it was the first race in the rain. Thanks to everyone, and congratulations on the podium!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

That was a great first round of the series, :cool: only marred by someone turning me around at the penultimate corner of lap 1 :(
    Loved the rainy conditions, think that was my first full wet race in ACC, however i had only done dry practise! :eek: i should have known and done some wet lapping, so my own fault. At first i was using my twitchy dry setup with wet tyres but then i switched over to the default wet setup. I found it kept bogging down on the first few laps with the over zealous TC so i dialled it back a couple of settings and it felt much better. :) Then set about trying to claw back all the time i lost on lap 1 but nearest cars were already 9-12 seconds up the road :confused: so it was a hard task in the wet. I set a lot of new wet pb's as i got into a rhythm and reeled in several cars upto Mark E in 8th, who i chased for the last 5 minutes. He ran wide on the very last lap and i was able to get past for a decent 8th place finish and hadnt made any mistakes in the tricky conditions :)
    Well done to JR for the win and the podium guys :cool:

ps i was hoping to watch a race replay today but no live coverage for this series? seems a shame :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. James Houghton

Great first race in the wet, strong grid and very challenging conditions, really enjoyed that.
    Question, do we formally have to put in protests if we're looking for clarification on an incident and what is considered fair and correct? or can we just ask in here?

14. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I think you have to contact Rob as it's 'his' series. There doesn't seem to be an incident link in the race thread to automate anything so he would be my first port of call.

• Like Like x 1
  15. James Houghton

Cheers Tim, appreciated.

16. Vasilis Doumanas

First of all congrats to winner and podium finishers and of course to all guys who raced yesterday night :)
    Secondly my apologizes to the two guys (i cant remember their names :( ) who i tried to pass at first and second lap and we had touched each other.
    Please Rob if you can watch the replay at the first 2 laps and find that i caused a spin, you can penalize me.

I logged in the server and guess what - it was raining.. Oh dear i said i never tried ACC in raining so it was my very first time.. No clue about setup, no clue about tire pressures, no clue about everything.. Pffff.. So i tried the default wet setup and fingers crossed.. Only some changes to aero and electronics (08/09 TC and 06/10 ABS if i remember well)
    Practice didnt go as i wanted, i did a lot of mistakes specially at braking - somehow i couldnt find the sweet breaking points and i was thinking what could i do to make my car a bit more stable.. Imagine that i didnt even know how to get the wipers to work :p.

Quali was good i can say, i did a flat 1:43 and i was at 7th place.. not bad for first time in wet conditions.
    When the race started i tried to be as much careful but.. i couldnt see a thing, spraying was all over the place, i lost a corner and my braking point and here i am out on the grass.. last.. :p Tried to rejoin, i did another 2 mistakes when i was trying to overtake a black and a a white car and i spun again. At that time i was worried about the guys who touched with and i was laughing to myself for those silly stupid mistakes.. Anyways once again i tried to calm down and enjoy the race, i did some overtakes and found myself 10th at the end of the race.. Not bad.. :)
    The lesson that i learned once again yesterday is that consistency, is the first priority of a race, no matter if can do one two or three fast laps. I will keep that in mind..
    Of course many thanks to Rob who setting up the series and my apologies to the guys i touched with.. I will take any penalty, i want to be fair :)

Until the next round, take care all and have a good day :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson Pro Driver Donator

I have a note from awhile ago that say 29-30 psi in wet, but its a bit old not sure if 100% accurate these days. My aim was for that :confused:
    Report from the midfield we saw absolute nothing:eek:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Björn Johansson

Congrats to all podium player´s ! And admins for the "Great shower" :D soaking.
    New car for me haven´t left my steady and calm Aston partner before this serie.
    Also wet race was new to me, had only done one Qual in wet before and that was a disaster.
    Practice went ok, up to when rain session started, just couldn´t get it sorted out to high psi with the standard wet set up.
    My hope was that it would stop :( first to qual and then to the race , but " The shower Lord " didn´t hear or didn´t mind me;)

Qual was real bad two first lap I overdrive the car try to get 1:42 time .But no couldn´t get it. Not sure if it would have done anything better.
    So to the race I first took a dry set up, when I saw it poured down, I to hasty went to a saved with to little fuel.
    The race started and first laps, was hard to even know where you had the track, no matter break point etc
    I could see Ekin/Johnson/Doumanas have some sort off issue , so for some time I had a ok race, but had to be
    so careful with the fuel, one eye on that all the time didn´t do things better. So ev Ekins and then Johnson passed
    and when a split second to long at the fuel:eek: , I got off track and Doumanas coul also pass:mad:

There is two kind off racer´s those that hasn´t raced in rain, and those that have.
    So now we´r all those that have :cool::D:p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vasilis Doumanas

Bjorn, did you looking out for your fuel? Because at the last 2 laps before your mistake, i was gaining about 2 seconds per lap and i was quite surpised..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Björn Johansson

Yes I did most off the race, finish with 0,2l :oops::oops::oops:

• Like Like x 1