rFactor 2 Round 1 Monza SRE

Discussion in 'World Series by Renault Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

SERVER IS UP

2. Ken Jagger

Note we will be using the SRE version of the three included in this track mod. Report any issues here.

3. Peter Williamson

Peter Williamson Pro Driver

unfortunately i'm going top miss a few rounds of this series with real world stuff :(

4. Ken Jagger

Please remember to unregister for each race that you will not be able to attend.

5. Syd Drake

Syd Drake Pro Driver

I just bought rfactor 2 on steam summer sale yesterday, and last night I tried a few laps at Monza, online, on the server. No offline practice for me :) . Anybody willing to share a base setup for this car?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ken Jagger

Great news that you have taken the plunge with rF2 Syd and looking forward to you joining our series in future. I haven't done any practice yet so don't have a current setup, but when and if I can work one up before the 1st race I'll let you have it. Maybe some of the guys who have already done some testing on the server would be willing to share their setup?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken Jagger

These are the DRS Zones for this track

Monza_SRE_loading.jpg

8. Syd Drake

Syd Drake Pro Driver

There is DRS? :) Is it manual activation? Is that the reason I saw others have 20+kph higher top speed than me?

9. Ken Jagger

Yes, Yes and I have no idea, but it could've been :)

10. Syd Drake

Syd Drake Pro Driver

I noticed that after I lock my wheels under braking a couple of time, I get a lot of vibration in my wheel(fanatec csl). Am I flat spotting my tires? Vibrations get pretty bad, I'm not sure if it might even damage the wheel if I keep driving like that. And still haven't learned how to do a pitstop to change tires :)

11. Ken Jagger

Exactly that Syd and once you have that vibration it never goes away, so you have to live with it or stop for new tyres. Try reducing your FFB settings or adjust the FFB effects settings and see if that helps.
    Also try reducing the brake pressure or changing the brake bias more to the rear.

12. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

I stand on the brakes at the braking marker and as I start slowing, I start easing off the brakes. As you start slowing, downforce starts dissipating, and the lock up occurs. Seen you on track Syd. Shared my setup with everyone on the server but of course, the setup wasn't complete at that time but it never is haha.

DRS zone. This means we have to be within say 5 minutes of the car in front to be able to activate DRS? I see DRS detection on the track map you posted Ken. In practice, you hit the switch and it activates. Race, we have to be at close range to the car in front to activate it? Excuse my ignorance about these flying objects haha.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  13. Ken Jagger

DRS is available at any time in Practice & Qualifying at any track that has it "built-in". In the race you need to be within 1sec (not 5min JG :D) of the car ahead when you pass the Detection point to be able to use it when you pass the DRS start point. When you then either brake or press the DRS button/key again it will shut it down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Johnny Gutierrez

Ohh, I see. Thanks Ken. :). You say within 1min. That's a huge gap. Maybe it's within 1 second of the car ahead at the specified detection point?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ken Jagger

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Johnny Gutierrez

Congrats Rui! You were in a class of your own. Grats to all racers and finishers. Their a handful. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Syd Drake

Syd Drake Pro Driver

Well that was going well until the pitstop. I was 9th, about 3 seconds behind 8th. I could feel my tires going away, especially through the Lesmos corners, and after I saw leader pitting (he lapped me just before pitting), I decided to pit myself. But I didn't slow down in time, and got a penalty. Next time around I go in to serve the penalty, but another car goes in at the same time, and stops right where the arrow is pointing me to stop. Only one place to serve penalties? I don't know what was going on. This is also when I discovered, that unlike AC, other cars in the pits are solid. When I tried to stop in the place where the arrow was pointing and another car was already there, there was contact. I was moving slowly, so I don't think there was much damage from that contact. So I just go out without serving the penalty, and next lap I go in to try again. This time there was nobody in my spot, I serve the penalty, but I start to leave without the pit limiter, and I get another penalty. Next lap I'm going in for the 4th stop, careful on the way in, keeping the speed at 60 manually on the way out and finally I'm clear of the pits with no penalty. But of course by this point I lost more than a lap and was down in 12th, where I eventually finished.
    I believe I was fighting for 11th when I had a moment coming out of Ascari, went sideways and someone collected me at pretty much full speed. I didn't think the car would keep going but it did.
    Thanks to Ken as well, for pointing me to downforce packages and how to select them. Seems I wasn't as far off the pace, cause I was using high downforce, which at Monza, wrong.
    I changed it to medium and was able to set 1.36 in practice. I got 1.37.6 or something like it in the race with badly flat spotted tires. Thanks to Johnny Gutierrez as well for the setup, I used in the race.
    I had to reduce force feedback to 25% to drive with flat spotted tires. Anything more and the wheel was shaking too violently, risking some actual real world damage. Any better solutions that this? With ff at 25% wheel just feels too light, no feeling in it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ken Jagger

I'm not sure why my rF2 install didn't want to play today, but I had a multitude of issues with it not switching sessions, freezing when trying to close it down, not displaying session results to name a few. Due to this I couldn't take the start as it froze somewhere in the Phantom Zone between Warmup and Race sessions. Fortunately I was able to close using Win Task Manager which allowed me to re-join the race albeit 2 laps down.

I thought I had a LDF setup worked out from practice yesterday, but it just didn't feel as good today - what's new there! o_O so I used a MDF setup which gave me pretty much the same lap times, but still way off the pace of the top few cars. More work required to come up with a setup I can drive faster I think. My race wasn't helped much either when I came into Ascari and saw clouds of dust and a car off then on the track, which was Syd I think, with no room to avoid the collision. The resultant damage upset the car balance causing a couple of additional excursions, but with the time for repairs needed, I took the option of continuing to the end with only the tyre stop like most others.

Hoping for better luck at LM Bugatti.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Paulo Tempera

Paulo Tempera Pro Driver Donator

Tuff race !!! I did good start , jump in to p4 and keep pushing , due to my friends mistakes i climb until P2 tuff but fair battle with Brites , but I think he has more speed …..then I run out of fuel and lost my 2nd place …p3 was a good start , thank yOU SRO

Ps -I think next events everyone need to pit ;)))) my tyres was good but I think monza is tyres friendly ;))))

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Damn it! :)

Disappointing race from me, however a decent result so not too disheartened.

I haven't raced a single seater in a long time so I've spent about an hour in the car every night for about three weeks. Getting used to it's style, trying different setup ideas and so on.

Did a few 45 minute races against AI as well.

I was in the 36's and 35's, and happy with that. Medium downforce worked for me as low downforce was ok but was causing the tyres to suffer more and I didn't want to stop.

Maybe it was because I rushed slightly (my Dad was using my Tv to watch the Wimbledon final) or just because I haven't raced online in a few months, but I just couldn't get into the right frame of mind and I was nervous. I was braking in the wrong places, overshooting corners, hitting kerbs. It was a disaster. Was the track green maybe?

I thought for a moment I'd loaded the wrong setup! lol :)

So qualifying was a disaster, I reckon I could be top 6 maybe (I was 2 seconds up on my second run) again, braked all wrong, overshot the corner and messed up. Ended up in 15th.

At the start I got bumped a few times into the first corner (expected) then involved in a huge accident on the exit of Lesmo 2 (cars in the air and crashing into one another), pitted for repairs and then got involved in someone else's accident two laps later, so pitted again for repairs and tyres. All my own fault as I shouldn't have been where I was anyway.

I then just tried to carry on, took me about ten laps to calm down and finally I was able to lap in the 37's and 36's. Fought my way up to 10th, unlapped myself from cars in the top 10 so I definitely had some good pace. So annoying.

I know I changed them after a few laps but my tyres were perfect, still had good amounts of grip left and I was getting quicker.

Oh well, I got some points but I need to make sure I'm on the server the hour before next time so I can get myself nice and calm! haha.

Well done to the podium finishers.

I did some laps on the Le Mans Bugatti circuit, definitely a High Downforce track, very little in the way of passing around here and the track mesh is very bumpy in places. If you practise make sure you pick late afternoon as it's a DX9 track and it'll blind you! haha.

See you all next time and @Caitlin Penny thanks for the comment about the livery, suits the Renault pretty well :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1