rFactor 2 Round 1 Oulton Park International

Discussion in 'Ferrari Challenge 2019 Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up

• Like Like x 1
  2. Norman Bruce

Norman Bruce Pro Driver

Was a great race until I got disco'd, I don't usually have any connection problems so hopefully it's just a one off.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ken Jagger

Sorry that happened to you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ken Jagger

This was a great start to a new series and I'm not just saying that because I got a podium. :D

We had a 75% turnout from those members registered for the race, including some new members, so thank you all very much for supporting this series which is much appreciated.

The lap-time difference across the whole field during practice was little more than 1 sec, so it bode well for the race. Having run these cars before in a previous series at SRO, it seemed that they handled differently this time around, possibly due to RF2 updates during the last 18 months or so. It was clear that tyre wear was going to be the dominant factor, as it is in so many RF2 races, so I worked on the limited setup options for this car to try and give handling that would be consistent across 45 mins, rather than peak lap-time.

Qualifying 3rd was pretty good in the company of so many fast SRO members, so I was happy with that.

At the start I got baulked a little by Paul going into T1, probably because he was being ultra-careful to not run into Csaba, so I lost 3rd place to Camilo and ended up following him for many laps, although I felt I was quicker, due to it being very hard to find a passing place when cars are pretty close on lap-time. Eventually he wilted and made a mistake going into T4 and I was through to chase Paul, who we had both caught by this time. Paul hung on until he decided to stop (tyres?) and I was then able to resume some consistent laps and slowly close the gap to Csaba, who also seemed to be going slower by now. I was held up a bit by Darrel, who didn't seem to want to let me lap him, losing 2-3 secs in the process.

When I did then get past him, I was able to close to within 3 secs of Csaba at the flag. I just wish I hadn't lost that time in closing down on him, but knowing Csaba he would've been stroking it to the flag anyway. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  5. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

so sorry lads.

not sure how i missed this race.
    please forgive me

• Like Like x 2
  6. Camilo Grandon

Camilo Grandon Pro Driver

excellent story of the race. one of the best races I've had in rfactor by far. I had fun fighting and defending positions. It's difficult to overtake in Donington Park. I was very sure, since I had won there with the ford btcc. Endurance races end my concentration but I have improved and I am still working on that. the first laps would be very deconcentrated mate the tire of the left wing but nevertheless managed to keep it in condition.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

Sorry, you were really close at the end!

8. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualification
    Got a good lap in for P2 :)

Race
    Got a good start. Was right behind Csaba and ahead of Ken so not sure how I baulked him. The first few laps showed that Csaba's pace was better than mine but my pace was better than those behind and by a few laps into the race I had a couple of seconds gap. Then I ran wide in the run up to the hairpin. I kept 2nd but my gap was gone and front tyres were shot. I now had a horrible flat spot which a few laps later turned into red and little tread so I had to pit. To be honest I think my setup would have forced this anyway. I did very little practice and no runs longer than 4 or 5 laps. I had gone with pretty much the default setup only changing brake bias (rearwards) and slightly less brake force because I had seen high tyre temps in the front tyres. After the pitstop I could fly again but had too much of a gap to make up. The tyres lasted a lot longer showing that the one mistake I made in the first stint cost me here but I'm still unsure whether I would have survived a whole race on one set so I salute you all for doing it.

Well done Csaba. You had the pace and made the tyres last :)
    Well done to my team mate for 2nd and Joe for 3rd :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Oli Bateson

Oli Bateson Pro Driver

Found these cars quite tricky to start with but was happy with where I ended up in qualy. Managed to stay in position for the race and was able to hang on to the guys in front. Picked up a few places due to others mistakes and was in 3rd up until the last corner. With the tyres gone I couldn't stop for that corner on the last few laps and just lost third on the line to Joe.
    Great racing though and looking forward to the next :)

• Like Like x 3