Assetto Corsa Round 1 Vallelunga - Wed Nov 3, 2021

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Tuned Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 19, 2021.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

upload_2021-10-19_19-22-32.jpeg

Welcome to round 1 Vallelunga

Showcasing the track

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. John vd Geest

upload_2021-10-21_16-18-13.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

What time the race starts?

4. John vd Geest

Qual: 20:00 GMT 15 minutes
    Race: 20:20 GMT 45 minutes

Schedule

5. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Just tried couple of laps, car is anything but my cup of tea but I'll give it a go anyway...

6. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

I am having a tough time trying to drive this car. It just understeers off the track in every corner. Not sure this series is for me I'm afraid. :(

7. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I just did some laps.. You are going too fast!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Csaba Lako

Csaba Lako Pro Driver

I can't say it is my car if we look at my time, fun to drive but I am slow so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John vd Geest

It's not a race car but a tuned normal street car. The mod developer has the same Subaru street car in real life and has tried to his best - and very successfully - to program the physics into Assetto Corsa. Actually, it's in the top 5 car mods ratings over at RaceDepartment. The challenge is to race a tuned street car with very good physics.

I've copied over his comments on developing the Subaru mod to the info thread:

Notes from the developer:

Self-promotion really isn't my strong suit but I can't post this car without bringing to light just how much attention to realism and detail we've put into it. Starting with the most obvious bit, Dan built the entire thing on a full 3d photo scan I took of the real car in my driveway. From there I spent about a week playing photo monkey, dodging rainstorms & getting detail shots of anything that needed it. I then spent a solid week playing the "well actually" game with any and every detail I noticed that wasn't spot-on. It wasn't practical in a game model to perfect literally everything, but I genuinely doubt there's a more 3d-accurate sim mod around. Dan is a wizard. This thing is flat-out fantastic.

On the physics side the car is built from the most accurate and specific data I've ever had for a project. (Unsurprising, I know.) I've logged and matched as many things as can possibly be tracked with my OBD-II datalogger. The entire suspension was measured on a lift and rechecked at static height on the alignment rack. It matches plotted curves to within a couple hundredths of a degree throughout its full travel. The aero data is from a Prodrive wind tunnel session at MIRA & the brake calculations are based on excellent data from the forum autocross community. We ran my dampers on a dyno before installing them and the weight of every modded part, deleted system & lightened bit is taken from real life. To the best of my driving & translation ability & within the constraints of the sim, it's a match for the real thing.

And finally, the sounds. Davide is a generous man and a literal pro - this outcome went far beyond any of my expectations. He was not only kind enough to give us permission to use the soundbank he originally made for the Rally Legends 22B, but he then sent us a modernized update, then a second update customized to more closely fit the mechanical setup of my car. I have to say, allowing for the unavoidable difference between reality and sim when it comes to audio, these sounds are pretty much spot on. It's a mild (sounding) setup with a substantial turbo, so it's civilized enough (and 50-state noise legal) but there's that sinister hiss from the turbo when you step on it.

Just like the real thing.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Pro Driver

I get what you're saying Paul and I found exactly the same thing. I was gonna unregister but I tried it at another track and it was way better, much nicer to drive . I've always disliked Vallelunga for this reason ,too many slow tight corners.

• Like Like x 2
  11. John vd Geest

Tried it a Horsma or Charade long. Every lap is an adventure. Driving the Subaru there made me decide to do a small series. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

I'm always moaning at the modern race cars full of aero that stick to the road like glue. Now I'm moaning at classic machinery because it doesn't corner as if on rails. No pleasing some people. Lol. ;). I did try at Horsma and made some changes to set up to make the tail swing out a bit more. It was OK. 4wd means you need to drive differently. May approach this more like a rally and use the handbrake. Still 4 secs of you guys at Vallunga though. I'll try it out tomorrow if health allows me to. See you track side.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ronny Hauser

Ronny Hauser Pro Driver

hey all!
    this series looks like a lot of fun, i actually drive the Subi just for fun in AC from time to time. i expect to be last, but i'll make sure to get out of your way and drive carefully, so if you'll have me i'll see you later for the race. i only signed up for the first race for the time being, in case i suck too much. :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. John vd Geest

Server race password has been set on the event page: password

15. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Im working tonite :(

16. John vd Geest

See you next time :)

17. John vd Geest

How to find the server for new members:

First type sro in the server chat box. Server name is SRO Vallelunga

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ronny Hauser

Ronny Hauser Pro Driver

phew, pretty sweaty now. that was good fun, thx!
    in the heat of the fight i've managed to mis-shift to 2nd instead of 4th gear a couple times too often. :rolleyes: Thrustmaster shifter is pretty loose sideways, but i've stiffened the spring now, so next time...! just glad the motor didn't give up on me... :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

WoW
    that was fun.
    a very long race with an out of hand car, so out of hand, i took my hand off the wheel and spun.

thanks lads that was fun!!!

Sorry Bruce for the tap.

Quali wasnt too bad, done a neat lap then fast lap in the wall..... OH BOY!!

Race start and i held back abit as i wasnt sure how so many horizontally opposed cylinders would fit thru that Right hander.
    all seemed good, started pushing a bit and just made silly mistakes. pace was good for me thou.

hope to see you all at the next one

Karl

• Like Like x 5
  20. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

oh wow that video above brings back great memories.
    that SEAT eurocup car is a gem

• Like Like x 1