Round 2 Cadwell Park - Sun Apr 19, 2020

Discussion in 'Nissan 370z GT4 UK Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 21, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]

Welcome to round 2 Cadwell Park

Located in the Lincolnshire Wolds, Cadwell Park was established in 1934 by Mr Mansfield Wilkinson of Louth. His sons originally used the land for racing their own motorbikes against each other.

Originally the gravel-drives of the country estate measured 3/4 miles, with tarmac and concrete being added in 1938, with widening and lengthening in 1953, and lengthened again in 1961 with the addition of the Donington Curve.

In 1953 the track was lengthened to 1.3 miles (2.1 km), upon the invitation of the 500 cc motorcycle-engined Formula 3 to race in a traditional bike meeting. Around 30,000 spectators attended that particular race.

[​IMG]

Josh Brookes aviating on a Milwaukee Yamaha British Superbike at The Mountain in 2014
    The track grew to the current 2.25 miles (3.62 km) layout in 1962 and hosted the British F3 series the next May. Some of the bends are named after family members e.g. Mansfield, Charlie and Chris.

One of the biggest developments in the circuit's history occurred in January 2004, when Jonathan Palmer's MotorSport Vision company completed the purchase of Cadwell Park and the other Octagon venues (Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, and Snetterton). Palmer immediately implemented a programme of improvements to the venue, designed to heighten customer experiences both for spectators and competitors.

Bloody hell ... It's the Jimmy Broadbent of real racing :cool:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up.

Wow, you get so much feeling on what the car does at Cadwell. Pretty exciting driving it on the limit here. Can't wait.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. John vd Geest

4. Great track, narrow with only a few places to pass, should be an interesting race. Hopefully there will be no casualties at turns 2&3 on the first couple of laps!

• Like Like x 1
  5. John vd Geest

Let's hope not :)

6. Nuno Rodrigues

Nuno Rodrigues Pro Driver

Well, i was with a good pace, something i was not expecting.
    Good qualify taking me to 10th position:
    Joe Brown ant S. Ring you must review your ping. Joe Brown was horrible and that made me take one or two mistakes:
    Joe, you must take careful when coming back to track. It was not good.
    Then i hit the wall and race finished for me :-(((

7. John vd Geest

Shame man. You had good pace. Once in a while you have one of those. Simracing ... huh !!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Great race, some fast guys out there! Happy to qualify 5th and was happy with my race pace. Caught up to Jason (which I didn’t expect!) about 2/3 of the way through and he seemed to be struggling for grip, my tyres were good (after my pit stop) so kept the pressure on. He had a wobble through the complex in S3 at the end of the one lap and went off at the same place on the next one, which elevated me to 4th. A few laps later, whilst the car was still handling well, I took too much kerb through the same complex and gifted 4th place to Paul about 7 laps from the end, up until then I’d managed to keep a gap to a Paul of about 1 second.

All in all, very enjoyable, congrats to the podiums......that’s going to be an interesting fight over the top of the table, don’t think anyone’s going run away with it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Great race guys & gals ! These cars are extremely fun !
    Had back marker pace but did manage to get into the 1:35's for my fastest lap .. Hard to pass here let alone trying to find a spot to let the leaders by under blue flags, you need to hit the turns from the right position or your going off into the grass so that makes it a bit stressful when trying to get out of the way ! sorry if I was in the way at any point during blue flag instances ! :eek::rolleyes:
    Grats to the Podium & look forward to the next one !
    rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe) Screenshot 2020.04.19 - 14.21.44.02.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. John vd Geest

Nigel was pressuring me from start to finish LOL! Had to go all out to keep him behind. Only had 2 off's haha.
    My tires were shot short before the flag, but so were his (I think). Exciting stuff on a difficult track.

11. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

At one point i tried flashing lights, horn--- but nothing.. you just wouldn't let me pass ...
    I was wondering if you ever saw the flue flag ahahahah
    in the end i lost control of the car while braking so i wouldn't hit yours.
    it was a miracle ending the race

very fun stuff tough, enjoyed a lot

12. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

Finally some victory, after almost a year of waiting
    This time was different. Failed qualifications, flawless race, almost flawless
    Again I could shout, blue flag, blue flag. It was difficult on this track and the more cooperation was needed. Two long straight lines on which it was possible to facilitate the ride of leaders, not everyone adheres to the blue flag principle, others do it in such places that ... they do not make it easy! Most of course perfectly :)

Two good overtaking, I just used the opponent's mistake. Clean and effective. You can say that I found myself in the right place at the right time.
    Sorry carl i stole this victory :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  13. John vd Geest

Yeah man, grats. You had the pace.

14. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Enjoyable Race John we both had pretty good pace, I also had to keep looking now and again in my rear view mirror as Joe was right behind me. And yes tyres started to go off.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Can't say I like this track. Always thought of Cadwell as more of a bike circuit. But having said that I really enjoyed the race and barely put a foot wrong. Chased Chris for most of the race and took advantage of his only mistake through the roller coaster section to take 4th. I had good experience of back markers so thanks to all. Love these cars and looking forward to the next race

Well done Michal :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. John vd Geest

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Love Cadwell, and it was a hell of a challenge with this car. From my seat, great driving throughout the field, no real issues to speak of.
    I was enjoying the race, battling back and forth (mostly trading mistakes)...had a great car in a straight line, could catch almost any others, but I had a hastily slapped together setup that proved over time to be quite unstable. It was a struggle (as a few probably noticed...lol)

Getting close to race end, thought I'd make it in one piece to see the checkered...but it was not to be. I got a bit throttle happy in those windy bits at the top of the hill, overshot one of them, ended up in the grass and shunted a barrier quite hard. Made it safely to pit lane but repairs were 200+ seconds and I decided to call it a day at that point. Shame! So close, yet so far away.

Grats to the podium and to Michal for the win.

@John vd Geest Might want to check the winner in the results ;) :D

Only 3 DNFs....that's quite a feat for this track! WD everyone! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  18. John vd Geest

LOL ... thanks !!

• Funny Funny x 1