Automobilista Round 2 Donington National

Discussion in 'NGM Touring Cars Closed' started by Philipp Pichler, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver Donator

Good race guys.

It was better for me than brands hatch from the get-go. But this car is still tricky, here especially in and after turn three.
    Regardless if I was full throttle or lifted, the car gets very unstable. Ken said that it gets better when you lose the rear damper. I will try that in the future, but for this race, I adapted my driving. I lifted way before the apex of turn three and reduced the steering input to a minimum. After the apex, I could get back on the throttle.

That worked for me and prevented that what happened to @Jens Roos. Very nice pass around the outside in turn one, but he lost it after turn three and crashed. I was back in the lead, but a few laps after Jens, I had the same problem. I steered a bit too much and immediately knew that I lost the rear. Luckily I saved it by hammering the brake pedal and shifting down (see below). @Ken Jagger passed me because of that and took the lead. But not for long. He had his moment after turn three too. I regained the lead again and lost it a few laps later again to Ken after a mistake into turn four. Only to get it back after Ken spun later at the same place. It seemed that nobody wanted the lead. So it was now up to me to avoid any further mistakes and keep the lead. That worked, although I had two or three moments where it was close to spin, for example after lapping @Doug Dezan, where did the same stunt from before, but now in turn seven. In the end, it was enough to win the race.

Ken was the faster driver today, so he closed in at the end and would have won with one mistake less. Hard luck but next try at Thruxton ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I thought I actually said to reduce the rear ARB, not dampers, in response to Doug saying he had increased it to try and tame the rear end of the car. The cars are for sure very sensitive to throttle lift and I found the best way to deal with it was to overlap throttle & brake together to some degree when slowing, to keep it more stable, along with not being too quick to unload the rear with quick throttle lifting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Norton

Ray Norton Pro Driver

I enjoyed "racing" with you guys and it was great fun, made loads of errors but expected i would:rolleyes:. I noticed the car misfiring and realised my fuel was running outo_O. But when i pitted (cos i was ready to mount a late race challenge :rolleyes:) the fuel section just showed N/A and i could not add fuel, i'm sure it cost me a podium!:p:p:p Despite a few racing tips from Ken i found the car really hard to control but kept offline during lapping.;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

This mod doesn't allow refuelling Ray, so you need to do some calculations from practice to work out what you need.

5. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

The speed was there this round as well, not really into these FWD cars but still it works without much effort :p
    That qualy lap up 0.5 up on 2nd was an smooth lucky lap.

I'm using stock setup with little adjustment to even the tyre pressure after a few laps. Had otherwise stock last race but at this race I reduced rear wing 1 click, 2 click less rear ARB and 2 click up on front to compensate for less wing. One trick is to easy of the throttle gently not to upset and introduce to much oversteer at the rear (you want some).
    Have tried to be a left foot brake:er but never managed it, to compensate I do much heal-and-toe instead but that helps little in this car :D
    As the race progress I also reduce the bias to more rear to compensate for the wear of front tyres.

Qualify in pole and missed the start again, engaged gear to early and had to fiddle, not sure but maybe a little tap on the rear (no damage shown in stats) from someone.
    Nice overtake on Philipp on the outside of T1 but missed the apex on T3 and touched the grass, went into the barrier with +60s of repairs.
    (the trick was to touch the apex at the curbs and ease of a little throttle to get good entry into T4)

Once repaired rest of race went good, had 3rd towards the end but not the fastest lap (Ken was a few hundreds of seconds faster), went into pit and changed tyres. Got that fastest lap of the race but lost 3rd, but still order was restored :D

Fun race, cross finger for a few more driver next round :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2