Round 2 Loch Drummond Long

Discussion in 'Ferrari Challenge 2011 Closed' started by Nigel Middleton, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server online

2. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

The race for this 2nd round of the series is being changed to Loch Drummond Long (rF2 default), due to problems with a poor conversion of the original rF St Petersburg track. The Championship details will be updated to reflect this change.

Apologies for this late amendment.

3. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

Not that bad for me because I´m a awful street circuit driver.

But I have a question regarding the tyre degradation. I drove consecutive 12 timed laps and my front tyres seemed to be finished. Is it the plan to force the drivers to make several pitstops for tyres or should I start searching a way to conserve my tyres?

Apart from that, nice mod and circuit. Thanks for hosting this event.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ken Jagger

I know the early versions of rF2 mods, including the default and ISI cars, used to burn out their front tyres easily, at least for me! :confused: I don't think I have tried this mod yet, but will do in the next couple of days and see how it plays out. From what I've heard though, it is a very popular mod from its handling perspective, so it maybe is about setup Philipp.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Philipp Pichler

I´m a bit confused. Did "mod" means only the car or track and car? Because the results from race one show you as the winner without any pitstop
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/racing/eventinfo/267

That indicates it should be possible to drive the race in Loch Drummond without a pistop, too. At least I will consider a smoother driving style and put my tyre preasures a bit down. Hopefully these actions will be enough, otherwise I will ask for some advice. Seems to me that you have expirence with such problems :)

6. Nigel Middleton

Mod is the cars.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken Jagger

Sorry to be confusing Philipp, but it looks like my head was thinking about the upcoming rF2 Megane Trophy race this Sunday and not the Ferrari Challenge you were referring to :oops:

Yes you should be able to run 1hr in these cars without a pit stop for tyres, if you can look after the fronts. The secret for me is to not push into corners by braking late, but try to get the braking over and done with by the time you start to turn in, so the front tyres are not trying to take the strain of braking and changing direction at the same time. Faster, wider radius corners can be taken with some trail braking without harming the tyres. On the setup side, set the rear of the car stiffer than the front, so that it wants to turn easily without having to force it with the steering. Its all about getting a balance that you are comfortable with for 60 mins, rather than a hot-lap setup.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Philipp Pichler

No problem Ken and thanks for the hints.

9. Ken Jagger

There will be plenty of us in the series who will share their setup with you, once we are all online. :)

10. Nigel Middleton

Sorry I missed this race was our of my hands will say my other half put her foot down hard :mad: still feeling the kick up the butt :eek:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - he must listen his better half :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

1st rF2 win ( I think ) and 1st rF2 event that my tyres lasted as planned \o/

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Nigel Middleton

14. Philipp Pichler

Congrats too Toni.

How many races did you drove until your tyres lasted as planned? Because this was my first rf2 race and the tyres did the opposite of lasting as planned :confused:
    I thought that at least a one stop is possible (I drove 31 mins until stop 1) but not at all. Even two stop got tight.
    In addition I did too many silly mistakes and my car was all over the place at the fast uphill kink.
    For example after stop two I drove a 1:19 with new tyres but at the next laps I lost the plot and as Toni puts my a second lap down a few corners later I lost my car .

Maybe a video is better to illustrate that

So still al lot work to do but it was good fun as well.

15. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I cant say how many. Have had the game for years but never really have driven it. Never got around the tyremodel or maybe its just
    the fact that older games you could just push from start to finish and now have to pay attention not to overheat them and so forth.
    Still learning.
    Heres my hotlap:

and setup:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxv3JD0zsjrvN2diSmV4TlJ0d0U

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ken Jagger

Being from Scandinavia, Toni doesn't use the foot-brake for slowing down, he uses the hand-brake which is his secret weapon! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ken Jagger

The biggest issue with tyres in rF2 is overdriving them when braking or through turns. Leaving Toni's Alien capabilities aside, us mere mortals need to take a different approach. You need to keep an eye on the tyre temps through the corners and not overheat them too much. I couldn't tell from your video what the temps were doing without the HUD display. Barrett drove the whole race without stopping compared to Toni's 1-stop & Marcos' 2-stops, and still finished 2nd, so it can be done.

18. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

Congratulation Toni for win and Barrett and Marcos for podium.
    Was a good race with an awful start for me. At start of the race I load a wrong setup with less brake pressure (one what I tested earlier to save some tires wear). First, I was very surprised why my car don't want to stop. Until I figured out, in the same turn I lost two places consecutive, and also make some nice drifts which ate fast my tires. So first pit. Slowly I get used with the car and tried to catch John, with which in last 15 minutes had a good battle. Good race John.

• Like Like x 1