rFactor 2 Round 2 Sachsenring - Sun Sep 26, 2021

Discussion in 'DTM 1991 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 8, 2021.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

DTM 1991 banner.jpg

Welcome to the Sachsenring

The first race was held on 26 May 1927 on an 8.618 km layout on public roads, running also through the village of Hohenstein-Ernstthal itself. It was dubbed "Sachsenring" in 1937.

The East German motorcycle Grand Prix was held there from 1962 to 1971. The local two stroke MZ bikes of Zschopau were competitive during this time. The quickest lap was achieved by 15 time World Champion Giacomo Agostini on a MV Agusta with a 180 km/h average. After West German Dieter Braun won in 1971 and the East German fans sang the West German National Anthem in celebration (as is the case in sport, the winner's National Anthem is played after the event), the event was limited to East European entrants for political reasons.

[​IMG]
    Aerial view
    In 1990, with faster Western machinery now available, racing through the village became too dangerous with some fatalities
    (this can be compared with the Isle of Man TT).

Main straight
    To accelerate redevelopment of eastern Germany in the new unified Germany, a 2.9 km (1.8 mi) short track berg corner was built in the 1990s to bring international motorsport to the eastern part of Germany. In 1996, IDM motorcycle racing and the ADAC Super Tourenwagen Cup resumed racing here. The DTM raced here in 2000, with Klaus Ludwig winning at age 51, but the DTM did not return after 2002, preferring international venues.

Since 1998, the German motorcycle Grand Prix moved to the Sachsenring from Nürburgring. In recent years, the track has been made faster and longer again, with the length now being 3645m. Since 2007, the Sachsenring is part of the regular schedule of ADAC GT Masters. In 2011 the FIA GT1 World Championship held one of its race weekends at the Sachsenring.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  2. John vd Geest

3. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Fekkers, im working this sunday evening..

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. John vd Geest

Call in sick .... !

5. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Or you can't work on religious grounds. Do we not all prey to the gods of sim racing ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Just logged on to the server today….am I missing something, as the server track seemed to be hugely different to the offline version, almost to the point where I had to re-learn it?

7. John vd Geest

There is only 1 Sachsenring 2020 on Steam. Did you have another one?

8. Subscribed to it for the first time on steam today, didn’t have it on RF2 before today. I did notice though that in off-line mode there was a “track day” circuit option, though I didn’t choose that option. It was obviously the same track, but lots of subtle differences……start & finish line in a different place, a braking marker that I used in the run up to T1 was’t there at all, the little “crest” in the middle of T1 removed, different kerbs which reacted differently when running over them, sight lines on numerous corners’ entrances and exits. Different characteristics of the last turn onto the star/finish straight.

Took a bit of adapting to after coming of the offline mode on to the server, but once I had, I did find it better. Just makes it difficult to do any meaningful “offline” setups/practice.

9. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

At SRO we try to have the servers up 24/7 the weeks before the race just for that reason .. Its worse in AC where off line & on the server can be night & day regarding grip & such ..

10. By no means any sort of criticism Rob, I appreciate the work behind the scenes by the admins etc. Just an observation. I’ve experienced similar issues before in RF2, but this one seemed so much more pronounced. I’ve not driven a lot of these track at all before, so usually like to “learn” them off-line, and use that to try to get a stable setup. I use the ai in off-line races to judge my pace (set them to 110-120%) as otherwise I wouldn’t know what a quick lap time for the circuit was. If there was an ai option in online mode I’d do it all there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John vd Geest

Yeah, if you're used to a different version, this would be different. At least it goes left en right in the same place, right? :D
    But who's to say which version is the right one, or neither?

12. ..now there’s a conundrum!
    just as an update though, it seems to have been resolved. Before loading RF2 yesterday, I “subscribed” to the track via Steam. Loaded RF2 (offline mode) and the screen showed that the update was being applied. Went to the track and did some laps.later in the day, loaded up RF2 in the usual way, but then logged in to the server. At this point another patch was applied (for the track), went on track and experienced the differences I spoke about earlier. Logged off and shut down. Loaded RF2 again later in the day (no patches applied during loading offline mode), only to find that offline track now mimics the online track. Strange, never experienced that before, but at least it’s resolved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. John vd Geest

Good news. It didn't slow you down any ... damn :)

14. John vd Geest

I'm very sorry for the confusion. We are driving the Sachsenring 2020 version from Steam as linked on the event page.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827485485

I made a mistake when setting up the server. I selected a different track version than the Steam one.
    Now I understand the confusion when you entered the server and a different track started downloading.
    I have set up the server again with the Steam Sachsenring 2020 as planned.

15. I downloaded the track from the steam link on the event page?

16. John vd Geest

That's where you normally get it from. The event page.

17. I’m utterly confused now. The steam page (from the link on the events page) displays images of the track identical to actual track on the server earlier this evening as far as I can see. Will my setup now be for an incorrect track?

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Got it now having just been back on the server....this is the original track I talked about before I first logged into the server.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Great track, technical, and will require extreme tire management. Two stopper? And it has track cut sensors built into the right places. Nice work, John!

• Like Like x 3
  20. I absolutely agree @Mark Hightree , I love the track (though I’m not sure which one I love the most at the moment:D). Lots of turns and undulations in the first section that invite you to get on the throttle just that bit too soon, just so it can reward you with an excursion to the surrounding scenery! Followed by it “daring” you to go “flat” from the apex of T7 right through to the braking point of T12, through to the final T13, where again, you can almost hear the gravel trap on the exit and the steep incline goading you to get on back on the throttle far earlier than wisdom would dictate.

Errors and confusion aside regarding the earlier track version issue, this is an inspired choice of circuit @John vd Geest, that makes me grin from ear to ear……top job!

…….right, back to the setups!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3