Round 2 Valencia - Sun Jan 26, 2020

Discussion in 'Porsche GT3 Cup challenge (S397) Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 27, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Valencia or Circuit Ricardo Tormo

Circuit Ricardo Tormo, also known as Circuit de Valencia and officially named Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo, is a motorsport race track located in Cheste (Valencia, Spain) and built in 1999. It has a capacity of 120,000 and a main straight of 876 metres. It is often used as a test track by the Formula One teams, because of the mild temperatures in winter. Anthony Davidson holds the unofficial lap record, set in 2006 while testing a Honda RA106, with a time of 1 m 08.540sec.

The track hosts the MotoGP Valencian Community Grand Prix. Also, the FIA GT Championship had a race there in 2000 and 2004, the World Touring Car Championship from 2005 to 2012, the European Le Mans Series in 2007, and the DTM from 2010 to 2012. It has also been Formula E's pre-season test venue since the 2017–18 season, having moved from Donington Park, and also was the GP3 Series (now FIA Formula 3 Championship) pre-season test venue until the 2017 season. The series also hosted a one-off event at the track in 2013. The GP2 Series (now FIA Formula 2 Championship) also held rounds at the track in 2006 and 2007. Valencia has also hosted the season opening round of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series since 2014.

The track is named after Spanish, two-time world champion Grand Prix motorcycle racer Ricardo Tormo, who died in 1998.

Ricardo Tormo Onboard (Valencia, Spain)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. Can anyone suggest a setup for this track?

3. John vd Geest

There isn't much to setup with this car LOL. Almost all settings are default.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Servers up !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Indeed, not as much as others, but surely no-one drives every circuit on the default setup?

• Like Like x 1
  6. John vd Geest

I'll give you mine when I see you on the server.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Very much disagree with that.
    This car is highly sensitive to setup changes and is a completely different animal with a good setup verses the [atrocious] default setup.

o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Oke, I'll take that one :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Which one? The baseline that tries to kill you at each and every chance, or the fluffy, tamed down version that'll actually make it to the finish line in one piece (maybe)
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. John vd Geest

Euhhhh ... I'll take the first one please :p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Proper choice. Entertaining, at least :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Congratulations on the win at the first round, you were quick! So I assume you weren’t using the default setup? Thing is, I’m trying to establish where I would generate quicker lap times, from changes to a setup, or whether I need to change my driving style.

13. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Pro Driver

I have decided that I need to adjust my driving style to try and get more life out of the tyres, in the 1st race after 40 mins my tyre wear was at below 80%, whereas my team mate was still on 90% and able to finish easily

• Like Like x 1
  14. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. John vd Geest

But ... I'm also clueless ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Thanks. But almost didn't matter. Damn near tossed it away in a brain fade moment. Got lucky (and I doubt that'll happen again). Was something of a miracle that I drove the broken thing home without destroying it :eek:

To answer your question, no, I was not using default.
    I was using a setup (slightly modified after some laps) that my team and myself developed when we ran this car in the 24hr Nords race at P1 Gaming a few months ago. That was before the endurance packages...so yeah, we did the entire 24 hours in this Supercup version of the car. And we survived :D

Setup work can help decrease tire wear, make the car a bit less twitchy, etc....but in the end, I'd say more than anything, it's about adjusting to the proper driving style in these Cup Cars. They are quite challenging and tricky animals. They will bite hard if you try to force things, but at the same time, depending on how/what you typically drive, and your typical driving style...it could be a case of either or both.
    They do require a very specific driving style. And, there's no use trying to fit the car around a particular style. The car won't allow for it. Driver must adapt to it, and do as the car desires. If this occurs, it's magic. If not, certain death :p

Side note: Until last night I don't think I'd ever set foot on this particular track.
    This place is :cool: ...that final bit of turns is a monster to deal with!
    Should be fun....excited for the race tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  17. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

18. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Can't make this one.

19. David Plummer

David Plummer Pro Driver

Sorry guys ive tried and tried to get into the session, i can get in and even see everyone in the timing screen. But i cannot see anyone on track :(

20. David Plummer

David Plummer Pro Driver

Ive had the problem before and i deleted all my rfmt files and it seemed to work but not this time