Round 3 Donington - Thu Apr 16, 2020

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa GT Legends Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 12, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Welcome to Round 3 Donington Park

Originally part of the Donington Hall estate, it was created as a racing circuit during the period between the First and Second World Wars when the German Silver Arrows were battling for the European Championship. Used as a military vehicle storage depot during the Second World War, it fell into disrepair until bought by local construction entrepreneur Tom Wheatcroft. Revived under his ownership in the 1970s, it hosted a single Formula One race, but became the favoured home of the British round of the MotoGP motorcycling championship.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up.

3. John vd Geest

rFactor 2 classic car series

The classic F1 McLaren M23 1975 series needs a few more drivers. Would be cool to get the list over 20 members.
    The default F1 McLaren is default content, so you don't have to buy anything.
    So, if you like classic cars and drifting the back end out in high speed corners, it would be cool to see you there:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/racing/seriesinfo/165

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John vd Geest

These 2 members are on the waitinglist.

I would like to know a.s.a.p. their car / skin and GUID nr in case they move up from red to greed on the signup list.
    If you do not give me this info, I can't let you race because you might take someone's else's car / skin. There is only 1 of each on the server that belongs to someone.

Erik Czakoi
    Terry Miles

5. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Best of luck today, guys!
    The race will be streamed here as usual.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

im on the waiting list aswell... if there is spot, ill do that porsche then.
    will ready to go 30minutes before event so just drop me a pm if good to join.

7. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Sorry guys, forced to unregister. Hoping it will be good for someone else on the waiting list.
    Have fun all !

Edit : Damn, now I'm able to make it, still I didn't want to ruin his chance to drive to anyone that could have profited of my slot, so i had to warn as early as possible (even if late in the end).
    Raging a bit about my carefulness, :mad: but happy to follow the event thanks to Caitlin's broadcast ! :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oliver Rakonjac

Oliver Rakonjac Pro Driver

It seems I came a bit too late and couldn't take my car as all of the slots were occupied. It's OK if some reserve driver was a bit faster.. I came around the very start of the Q..

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. John vd Geest

Sorry to anyone that I've hit in the hairpins. I have a weird technique to go through the hairpins. I brake really late and hard so all the weight shifts forward under braking and really load the car up with all that energie in the front. Then at maximum build up, I release the brakes and the car shoots forward round the slow apex.

Of course, if others don't do that, then they are slower in the midlle of the apex then me and I had to learn that.

Race ... not too good. Because I tapped 4 cars I think, I also had to wait for them to get going again and so I dropped back further and further. But the pace of the car was quite good I think.
    I was besides a few of drivers, but they still turned in to the apex. I was just wondering, are you all driving with the heli corsa app?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Davide Ricciardi

Davide Ricciardi Pro Driver

Well done everybody, great battles throughout the field, some very special drivers here in this championship. I had a lonely race defending P2 from the fast guys behind, Tim was Untouchable, congrats. I took a risk not changing tires, I just did a splash and go because I had some margin but the last 3 minutes I literally couldn't stick on the tarmac and Laurent, Phil and Louis caught me at the last 3 corners reducing the gap from 7 to 1 second in one lap... what a thrill... :eek:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Tudor Morris

Tudor Morris Pro Driver

Sincere apologies for not turning up for my first race here and hope it didn't prevent others from joining. I had checked in to see that my name had gone green but my lockdown brain forgot what day it was :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

Another one bad race for me.. Its the second time i had that issue, lag.. It started at Charade circuit (of course there i did many silly mistakes) and continued at Donington. At some parts of the circuit, my FPS was dropping quite enough to make my life miserable. It seems that at mod circuits (at highlands i didn't have that problem) with over 15 cars, my PC can't handle it quite well, so i need a better graphics card as soon as possible (plus fixing my wheel). That annoying lag costed me a lot at race pace , in practice i could do laps at low 1:40 - 1:39 with full tank and if i had that race pace i could be a bit higher at finish.. I lost time and concentration behind Syd and Csaba when they was fighting like ..roosters :p , i span and once again i got last on the grid.. Thanks to the 906's ability of low fuel consompution, i didn't pit and i climbed a couple of places.. My apology to Kimi, in my try to pass him at the last hairpin, i was one car in front because of my better exit speed but i touch him a bit with my tail and i span once again... At the last 2 laps i managed to pass Cristian, i think his tires was dead, same as it happened as Davide's Pantera.
    Anyways, congrats to the alien winner :p, to all who have raced and of course to Caitlin for another one great broadcasting. See you at next race :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

cracking racing last night, really enjoyed it. great sideways racing action for the most part. Don't think I had a lonely moment on track for the whole hour but could tell there was a smaller grid this time...on lockdown!? :confused:
    Was running 5th&6th for about 40minutes but I was really struggling with locking up the downhill hairpin (goddards or Red-gate?) and finally it spat me off as I accelerated out of it gifting my place to Jos in his Cobra. Pitted on lap 23 for tyres and fuel whilst 7th (my rears were already yellow! so no idea how you guys completed the full race on them?) Rejoined in 10th :( but all over Jos again for several laps. Then Toni T’s Cobra late-pitting rejoined ahead and I chased both very hard for many laps. I finally got past to get 9th feeling elated only to get a big stutter very late In the race (did someone leave the server?) right at in-opportune braking points. It scared the life out of the cobra behind as I had to coast the corner but then with my concentration momentarily distracted, also put me in the kitty litter a corner later :rolleyes: and I lost my hard earned 9th with two laps remaining. :mad:
    In hindsight I should have fueled heavier from the start or stuck to one set of tyres as I lost all my places in the pitstop despite it going pretty smoothly. Deserved a higher finish on pace.

These cars looked and sounded glorious in full sideways action at this track, loving this series :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lorenzo Galluzzi

Lorenzo Galluzzi Pro Driver

Got a 6th place yesterday, nothing more i could do i guess with my lovely car from Maranello. Had a nice fight with Mark in the beginning and was able to pass after his little mistake at the chicane. After that i ran alone trying to get the most from my suicidal strategy, anyway i got caught by the leaders who did a pit, no way to avoind to be overtaken...
    Wd Tim and Podium
    See you in the green hell!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I had 2 strategy's for this round - no pit, or pit and fuel + tires.
    I did the maths, and pitting would actually put me half a lap further down the road than on an economy run as I'd have been forced to go so much slower...

Earlier this week Paul started to put some fast laps in and worry me as he was getting close to my lap times - so as it looked like it would be a lot closer than it actually turned out I put in a full race length test during practice with out changing my tires.
    I forced myself to drive a lot straighter to help preserve them and keep the temps down but still finished with the cords pretty much poking through the remains of the rubber :D

However, it showed that it was possible to finish the race on the starting tires - and that resulted in my standing time during the stop being halved.

So I started the race with a different setup aimed entirely around the shortest pit stop and made a point of going slower and more carefully once a safe distance from Davide and the field.
    The biggest advantage to being forced to look after my tires is that my lap times only dropped slowly over the race - the ever worsening rear tires only help my normal driving style and actually seemed to allow me to drive even more gently while still carrying the same speed through corners. I think I was doing high 37's for the first half an hour, followed by low to mid 38's until my splash and dash 10 mins from the end. The final 5 minutes were a tad more interesting as the rears were well and truly gone by that point and I think I was down into the 39's....

I'm still amazed that Paul wasn't up front and challenging me this round with the pace he'd been showing - I have to guess the Porsche is a bit evil here and his times were therefore more from lucky clean laps?

Well done to Davide on 2nd and Laurent on 3rd. I think we had a full grid finish? If so well done to everyone for getting to the end and thanks to the people I lapped - I don't think I had any issues working up through the field:)

Roll on the Ring - Where Phil has a good chance of running away again and recouping his points from last night. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Great race for me starting from the back (p14) and managing the greatest position gain of everyone in the race :D. There were some good fights with, generally, a positive outcome for my interest of progressing up to better positions on the grid. Qualy wasn't bad when considered the limited practice time and the cronos I managed in practice. It was actually my best time before the race. I reduced it over a second during the race and was driving at the same pace as the other Shelbies (we all crossed the line one after the other...). That was a plus, showing competitiveness against the same cars. I think pit strategy wasn't terrible but I wonder what would have happened had I stocked more fuel to start the race and not lose the 8 secs at the pit stop when I was adding fuel (after having completed the tyres' changed). Would I have fought against @Paul Anstey for 7? Who knows? In any case, I enjoyed the fights against @Mark Johnson and @Toni Talvitie. It was also great the overtake to @Phil Brown (very opportunistic on my side).
    Congrats to the podium and to @Caitlin Penny for her great live commentary (Now, it's the third time in a row that she misses my crossing the line... I think this is intentional now! :confused:).
    I missed @Maxime Tendil. Hope he is fully recovered from covid-19!
    And thanks @John vd Geest for setting this up!
    Enjoy!

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. John vd Geest

I did not take away much from the race, but I did make an awesome pass on a Panterra. Enjoy as I did :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

John what app are you using for seeing opponents sign ( i saw it on Pantera)

19. John vd Geest

I watched it as a stream on my TV. Great stuff Jos. Thanks for uploading!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. John vd Geest