Round 3 Nordschleife Endurance Series - Sun Feb 9, 2020

Discussion in 'Porsche GT3 Cup challenge (S397) Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 27, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the Nürburgring Nordschleife

The Nürburgring is a 150,000 person capacity motorsports complex located in the town of Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It features a Grand Prix race track built in 1984, and a much longer Nordschleife "North loop" track which was built in the 1920s around the village and medieval castle of Nürburg in the Eifel mountains. The north loop is 20.8 km (12.9 mi) long and has more than 300 metres (1,000 feet) of elevation change from its lowest to highest points. Jackie Stewart nicknamed the old track "The Green Hell".

Originally, the track featured four configurations: the 28.265 km (17.563 mi)-long Gesamtstrecke ("Whole Course"), which in turn consisted of the 22.810 km (14.173 mi) Nordschleife ("North Loop"), and the 7.747 km (4.814 mi) Südschleife ("South Loop"). There also was a 2.281 km (1.417 mi) warm-up loop called Zielschleife ("Finish Loop") or Betonschleife ("Concrete Loop"), around the pit area.

Between 1982 and 1983 the start/finish area was demolished to create a new GP-Strecke, and this is used for all major and international racing events. However, the shortened Nordschleife is still in use for racing, testing and public access.

Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Sean Edwards Onboard VLN 5.Lauf 2011 Nürburgring Nordschleife

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. John vd Geest

Qualifying

The qualifying time for the Nordschleife is extended to 25 minutes.

Race

The race is started by the pole sitter when leaving the GP track and entering the Nordschleife.

3. John vd Geest

November 23, 2019
    Studio 397 Porsche GT3 Cup update

The Porsche 991 GT3 Cup gets an exciting update! The Endurance Package, kitted out and ready for full attack on the Nordschleife. Consists of different dampers and 2 sets of softer springs, compared to the Supercup specification. The Endurance package also comes with ABS system and aerodynamic package: front fender flares + rear wing 10 mm gurney flap and restricts the engine power output to a nominal 413 PS. Additionally the Endurance package also comes with a possibility to refuel the car, with fuel tank capacity lowered to 95 L, compared to 100 L with the Supercup specification. The car also weighs 30 kg more.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  4. John vd Geest

5. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Will the endurance package be forced for this race?

Otherwise, there's no point using it. Supercup always going to be faster o_O

6. John vd Geest

No, the choice is free.

7. John vd Geest

We will be using the Nordschleife Endurance Series version of the track.

Race start:

We will do a formation lap on the Nurburgring GP track (Endurance Series version) and the pole sitter will start the race when he goes left to enter the Nordschleife track.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

Oh?
    Ok then. No brainer regarding that 'choice' :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Tried both... Cup tuning I was 5s faster but with stiff anti roll bars it bounces all over the place... Setting endurance makes it very easy to drive... The trade off is: fast lap times higher risk or slower lap times less risk of making mistakes... Have not decided yet... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. John vd Geest

I'm 55 years old, have a wife and 2 children, so I should be going save, but I won't :D.
    Did a few laps in the Supercup. 08.31.394 so far on race setup with a full tank.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

My team did 24 hours in the car before those endurance updates were available, without dying...it is possible indeed :D

@John vd Geest Not bad, only about 10 seconds off the pace ;)

ETA: My problem is, I've got an 8hr VEC event Saturday, so I basically have no time to practice.
    Hoping muscle memory takes over come race day....should be 'interesting'....lol

ETA 2: Any indication on when the server will be available for practice? Rough guesstimate, perhaps? :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gert-Jan van Osch

If I would be playing The Sims I would have a wife and children too ;). Very impressive lap time... My fastest up to now is 8.43 with the Cup car. But that is most what I can get out of it with current setup and rubber I have on the track right now... The frame rate of my PC is very slow... Old PC and graphics card and have not tried a race yet...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. John vd Geest

You should get a better PC, if only for Assetto Corsa Competitione. That game is very good and with the new DLC only got better. It now also has the tracks Bathurst, Kyalami, Suzuka and Laguna Seca.

14. John vd Geest

It's busy here. It should be up soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hi all, won’t be able to race this one due to family commitments. I’ve unregistered from the event. See you all at the next one. Good luck everyone

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. John vd Geest

Server is up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

stable and forgiving. check fuel, adjust brakes to your liking.

setup

about the car..like all porsches, you cant force it, car takes you for a ride :) ( weight transfer! when to accelerate, when to brake. )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  18. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Thanks Toni. Are you running the Cup or endurance package for this setup?

19. Gert-Jan van Osch

A new PC or updating GPU & Memory is on the todo list... b.t.w. my laptime of 8.43 was on the 24H layout not the endurance....

20. John vd Geest

Don't say that. I was so proud of my laptime :p