rFactor 2 Round 3 Sebring Studio 397

Discussion in 'Studio 397 LMP2 & GT3 Endurance Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 3, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sebring International Raceway

Sebring Raceway occupies the site of Hendricks Army Airfield, a training base for B-17 pilots in operation from 1941 to 1946. After the war, Russian-American aeronautical engineer Alec Ulmann was seeking sites for converting military aircraft to civilian use when he discovered potential in Hendricks' runways and service roads to stage a sports car endurance race similar to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, a race Ulmann was inspired to somewhat re-create in the United States. Sebring's first race was held on New Year's Eve of 1950, attracting thirty race cars from across North America. The Sam Collier 6 Hour Memorial race was won by Frits Koster and Ralph Deshon in a Crosley Hot Shot that had been driven to the track by Victor Sharpe.

The first 12 Hours of Sebring was held on March 15, 1952, shortly growing into a major international race. In 1959, the track hosted the U.S.' first Formula One race (the successor to historic European Grand Prix motor racing), held as that year's installment of the historic United States Grand Prix competition. However poor attendance and high costs relocated the next U.S. Grand Prix to Riverside International Raceway in southernCalifornia.

[​IMG]
    Press box
    For much of Sebring's history, the track followed a 5.2-mile (8.4 km) layout. After a disastrous 1966 12 Hours with five fatalities, the track was widened and lengthened 50 yards (46 m) for 1967 with the removal of the Webster Turn between the hairpin and the top of the track and replacement with the faster Green Park Chicane. This was closer to the hairpin and allowed a flat-out run through a very fast corner to the top of the track and the runway. Another dangerous section was the Warehouse straight, where the organizers installed a left-right turn to move the track away from the warehouses and buildings after a crash where during that 1966 12 Hours a privately-entered Porsche went into one of the warehouses (this area was off-limits to non-track personnel) and into a crowd, killing four spectators.

The circuit was changed and shortened in 1983 to allow simultaneous use of the track and one of the runways, and major changes in 1987 allowed use of another runway. Further changes in 1991 accommodated expansion of the airport's facilities, allowing the entire track to be used without interfering with normal airport operations and bringing it close to its current configuration. The hairpin was removed in 1997 due to a lack of run-off, and replaced with what became known as the "safety pin". Gendebien Bend was also re-profiled to slow the cars' entry to the Ullman straight.

[​IMG]
    Final Hours of Sebring 2011
    The track is currently owned by IMSA Holdings, LLC through its subsidiary Sebring International Raceway, LLC via its purchase of the Panoz MSG in September 2012. It is currently leased by the Sebring International Raceway, LLC, which acquired the facility from Andy Evans in 1997.

The track is often recognized for its famous, high-speed "Turn 17",[citation needed] a long, bumpy, fast right hander that can make or break a car's speed down the front straight. The corner can fit up to 3 cars wide.

Skip Barber Racing School held numerous programs at the facility, including a scholarship opportunity for young racers.

The World Endurance Championship runs a round called the 1000 Miles of Sebring, run concurrently with the famed 12 Hours. This race was first run in 2019, with Toyota Gazoo Racing winning overall.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. John vd Geest

3. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues Pro Driver

I must say: a dam good work making the track available for rf2.... but this track with so many jumps & &... is just for me one of the worst tracks to do a good & balanced race.
    The car does not stop jumping from one side to another.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eric Cline

Eric Cline Pro Driver

do we ever run these races in the rain or day to night cycle? seems to run a lot better now in the rain than before

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. John vd Geest

That is typical for Sebring. The track is very "bumpy" in real life, and seeing as this rfactor 2 track is laser scanned ....
    The good news is ... you're not alone.

6. Xavier Eugeni

Xavier Eugeni Pro Driver

Amazing job by S397. Maybe too much bumps, but I prefer it that way than the opposite. Lots of flat tracks around....:p

• Like Like x 2
  7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I did some running into the evening and I will admit the track looks great when the sun starts to set and the lights come on.

So maybe some races into the evening would be cool, so not full darkness, just to allow us to enjoy the day/night cycle Rf2 has to offer.

My utmost respect though to the drivers who manage to drive this track in real life, it’s brutal. Takes a lot to be consistent.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server back online.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

We had day to nite transition on this track one season earlier. Was great. ( xcept for us old computer owners :D )

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sorry guys can't make the race have fun.

11. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

can we all skip this track...

i hate it

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

been having connection lost issues with rfactor2 tonite.
    and it happened in race too "#¤!"#¤)"!#)¤%)#¤!!

13. Eric Cline

Eric Cline Pro Driver

well that sucked... I shifted into r from 3rd somehow and looped in around on the first lap.. downhill from there. somehow got a speeding penalty going into pits and then it wouldn't clear my drive thru.. came in to pits two laps in a row but it kept doing a pit stop and not clearing my penalty.. pretty disappointed about today running 1.50s all day inpractice then 154s and 3s in race.. spent most of race alone on track then the penalty thing happened.is there something im supposed to do to clear penalty?

14. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

To bad @Toni Talvitie, you had good pace and build that gap on the early laps.

Unless it fixes itself, the result seems wrong:
    upload_2019-6-30_23-22-14.png

Should look something like this:
    upload_2019-6-30_23-23-18.png

Good race Barrett and Roberto, I thank my pit crew for that undercut :D

15. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Well I’ve been running laps on and off all week and just trying to maintain my momentum with top three finishes in this league and at the end of it I’m happy with 3rd.

Qualifying didn’t quite go to plan, I’d done 48.2’s and 48.4’s in practice and of course realroad has some effect on lap time but I can’t be too unhappy.

Start of the race I started in mixture 4 and then went to mixture 1, and 2 in traffic as you’ll lose time anyway, and left it on 1. A great fight up front between the four of us.

Very nearly made it to half distance on fuel, (about ten seconds out) stayed in mixture 1 as I knew Henri would have to stop again from the lead. Managed to lap in the 50’s pretty consistently. With two minutes to go I could see I just wasn’t going to make it, maybe a gallon out, that’s all. With Henri closing down on me I had to stop. Stationary for about five seconds but that was enough to let him through. Not worth the risk with the points I currently have in this league so 3rd is better than not finishing. I would have run out of fuel maybe through the last turn.

I suppose I could have saved a bit more in the first stint but apart from that I made no made mistakes, the final turn is really nasty if you get it wrong and thankfully I pretty much nailed it every time, so well please with my race tonight.

Well done to all the podium finishers and those that made it to the end. Everyone was great in traffic and the race was good fun.

Turkey next, never raced on this track before so starting from scratch on that one! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Eric, if it's a Drive Through you don't have to stop at your pit (contrary to Stop & Go)

First off, I'm surprised that some English speaking people don't understand what it means "pending", "session closed" or "NO CHAT IN QUALY". That's really annoying, especially for people whose first language isn't English but do understand the meaning of those words.

Q: Traffic in first stint, Drive Through in 2nd stint and traffic in last stint. Meh but 3rd 0.038 behind Henri.

R: Completely messed up strategy and setup. It seems that a two stopper wasn't the good option and as of setup, the rear end was too light making me spin way too much when braking. Should have been a better result there because my pace was on par with Ricardo, Henri and Andrew.
    Two lessons learned, a race to forget. Congrats to podiums, see you next one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Q
    was still messing with setup and got it finally how i wanted it.
    Fastest lap really nailed sector 2, soecially that one righthander.
    Had 2 more tries and 1st of them found 5 tenths on 1st sector but then had lag and that was that.
    2nd try found allmost 3 tenths in t1 ti braking into t2, it was oerfect.
    There was time to gained at the braking before end of s1. If get it spot on and exit max.
    Was 6 or so tenths faster at that point. Lost 3 tenths at the beginning of s3, not so smooth but still up 2.5 tenths so decided to go faster than no living man before into last corner and rear end just flew past me :D
    I think its possible to go 2 minutes sharp but that would mean totally perfect lap.
    R
    Fueled up car and it was even better with fuel onboard. Tyrewear like none and pulling cap allready so things looked good until lost connection.
    Shame since havent had a single solid race with this car yet and finally felt I had my Porche how its ment to be.
    Gz podiums and finishers!

18. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Fun race! First time I raced in this version of the track, but I like it. :) I didn't practice any, so I took the old setup I found on the net for qual, but that wasn't so good. Then in the race I changed that to Jerez setup and it was better. I hadn't any clue which is the best strategy so I just drive without fuel saving. We had good battle with Ricardo, and and I managed to pass him, but little bit late I did spun and Ricardo take the lead again. I catched up Ricardo again and I tried to take the lead again, but then somebody drove into my trunk and I spun again, and Ricardo got far away. But Ricardo saved fuel so I managed to catch him again and then pass him. Then I had to visit the second time in the pits to get fuel and Ricardo and Andrew got past me. In the second last lap, I got pretty close to Andrew, but Andrew didn't have enough fuel for the last lap, so he had to go to the pit, and I take to second place.

Grats to Ricardo and Barrett for winning. It could have been a tough battle for win without all the spinnings.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

I apologise for the comments about "pending" during Qly, but I have never seen the message before.
    I crashed out before qualifying began, for the 2nd time in 2 races, and was just so very frustrated with having to leave and turn rF2 off completely. I am sure you have noticed how long it takes for it to boot this sim. When I entered the server it did not say Qualify but Practice.
    I nearly hit 3 Gt cars. I think much can be learned about how the pros handle traffic by watching some old IMSA video. I had 3 drivers open the inside then close the door. Never hit anyone but lord help me I came close. The rest was a lost cause going too fast to make up lost time.
    All aside I enjoyed myself.
    Thanks all

Edit. I miss the guys work at Enduracers and all that they did for free. It pains me to spend money to buy cars I probably will not race just to participate in an endurance race.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

@Eric Moinet I think you should have let me pass you after you bumped me and we both spun. I tried to pass you, but you always defended your position and I lost a lot of time in it. It might have cost me a victory.