Automobilista 2 Round 3 Spielberg 1974

Discussion in 'AMS2 1974 Porsche Cup Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

AMS2R3.jpg Registration

Originally built in 1969 to replace the bland and bumpy Zeltweg Airfield circuit located just across the street, the Österreichring track was situated in the Styrian mountains and it was a visually spectacular and scenic circuit. Although narrow at 10 m (11 yd) in all places, the track was very fast, every corner was a fast sweeper and was taken in no lower than third gear in a five-speed gearbox and fourth in a six-speed gearbox. It had noticeable changes in elevation during the course of a lap, 65 m (213 ft) from lowest to highest point. Like most fast circuits it was a hard circuit on engines but more difficult on tires, because of the speeds being so consistently high. Many considered the Österreichring to be dangerous, especially the Bosch Kurve, a 180-degree banked downhill right-hand corner with almost no run-off area which,[7] by 1986 when turbos pushed Formula One engine power to upwards of 1,400 bhp (1,044 kW; 1,419 PS) in qualifying, saw Derek Warwick speed trapped at 344 km/h (214 mph) in his BMW powered Brabham BT55 on the run to the Bosch Kurve. There were other testing corners such as Voest-Hugel, which was a flat-out 290 km/h (180 mph) right-hander that eventually led to the 240 km/h (150 mph) Sebring-Auspuff Kurve (this corner had many names over the years, Dr. Tiroch and Glatz Kurve were others) which was an essential corner to get right because of the long straight afterwards that led to the Bosch Kurve.​

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  2. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

Hi Rob, There is a chance I might be able to have a go at this race if I can get out of work, however i have looked at the practice server and you have the 1977 track loaded, is it the 74, or 77
    :confused:

3. Rob Milliken

Yes, please join us if you can!!
    I think there is only 1 historic Speilberg the 77' the banner has a typo:rolleyes: lol

4. Rob Milliken

OOPs you are correct there is a 74 Spielberg ! fixing the server now !! Good find :eek::D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob Milliken

Well now im miffed :confused:o_O In the server cnfg it does not give you the year only historic & vintage so I had historic & you said it showed the 77, so I switched it to vintage & it also shows the 77 in the server lobby ..:rolleyes::eek:.. trying historic again ...
    Desktop Screenshot 2022.02.21 - 13.19.43.63.png

6. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

weird, i've had a crack offline and there a 4 tracks, the 77 has a chicane on the long run to the first corner and its awful, however the 74 doesn't have it

7. Rob Milliken

Well, they both say the same 77 in the MP lobby :cool::rolleyes:so we are going with vintage, it's my guess that vintage would be the oldest one = the 74 ..but IDK ..lol .. My kids say Im vintage & i'm extremely old !! haha :D so

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rob Milliken

yes, I'm trying to define which one has the chicane (we don't want that one) so we might go back to the historic ..stand by lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rob Milliken

OK got it sorted! 74 (no chicane) is up on the server ...:D
    Vintage it is!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rob Milliken

Race day password is set on the Championship event page
    Race day notes: In game Race date is set to current day Feb 22 2022.
    Official practice starts at 19:00 GMT
    In game
    session clock times:
    P1 = 11 am
    Q = 12 PM
    Race starts @ 1PM
    Race length: 45 min plus 1 lap! Don't get caught running out of gas after the time runs out!:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. FKR

FKR SRO Team Owner

Results will be posted after admin review of the lap one incident with Davide Molaro & Chris Belfield... Expect it to be a 24 hr delay!

13. Rob Milliken

I must say, The challenge of racing these cars from my Hi school days is intensely fun!! :D (I'm dating myself lol..)
    Grats to the podium! The pace of the leaders was intense!! Great job everyone! I look forward to the next one!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Anyone got a replay to post?

15. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

I really like that this version of the track is available and it fast and fun to drive :)

Understand the driver on grass and returns on the track is the passenger in most cases, still it's it bit annoying getting wrecked in first lap when starting at the back so I retired after 30 minutes or so even if the car was drive-able but looked like sh*t and something loose in the car making annoying noise.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rob Milliken

The official replay will be posted in the SRO downloads section and available from the event page once the results are posted!

• Like Like x 1
  18. …couldn’t agree more Jens.
    Apologies if it was me that hit you, but the incident that caused it happened on a straight on full throttle and flat out. From the moment I knew I was leaving the track I had my foot on the brake pedal, but the car was uncontrollable after the impact with the fencing on the left side at the top of the banking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  19. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I'm sorry to hear about the problems a few of you had in the first lap and look forward to @Rob Milliken's analysis and conclusions.
    I had a terrific 'weekend' yesterday. Timed my exit from pits on qualy perfectly (by chance) and @Julian Smith gave me a perfect reference to get pole in almost the last lap of the qualy session. That felt really good and set up the tone of the race for me.
    I was expecting an intense race ahead and indeed it started like that. These cars can deliver tons of fun in the close battle. I had a great start that helps to keep P1 in the crucial first few turns but it was soon obvious that @Julian Smith and @Csaba Lako were there to stay and we were facing an epic battle to the end... Or not!? To my surprise, overtaking in this track didn't seem easy as Julian was hardening his bid for P1. I always love a good fight for position but something else was meant to happen... Both Julian and Csaba overshot simultaneously their braking on Dr Tirok Kurve and I found myself with 5 secs advantage over Csaba and a few more over Julian that was further behind in the pack.
    It was too early in the race to consider it done. I had to keep a consistent and fast pace to keep the distance with Csaba for the following 40mins and not make any mistakes... I managed to keep a solid pace although my CrewChief was constantly telling me about Julian's fast laps which was a bit unsettling... But we all know how tricky are these cars in the limit so I kept my head cold to time the exact pace that would deliver the first win for me in the series.
    Congratulations to @Csaba Lako for keeping 2nd place despite having @Julian Smith dangerously breathing on his neck during the last few laps and to Julian for a fantastic pace. Quite a different race we would have had if they hadn't made that mistake.
    Thanks to Rob for organising and everyone from racing these fantastic cars in such a extraordinary track.
    Unfortunately I had video camera problems and there's no video for this race :mad:.
    See you at the next one.
    Jos

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

What a fantastic fun race for me (even though i made a stupid mistake), First off i must say that this car is a handful and i really didn't like it at first, but then grew to love that track car combo.:D
    I felt i had a really good quali and race pace, but my hats off to Jos for a brilliant qualify, so close, and race and also to Csaba for keeping excellent pace up so i couldn't get p2 by the last lap.
    I watch the you tube vid that Jos had done from Kyalami that you guys raced in and it looked like a brilliant race, so i wanted to join for the next one ,awesome work Jos, such a close race, well for 3 lap but it could have been ,if it wasn't for a stupid out braking manoeuvre from me, and we know if you out brake yourself in this car it isn't happening:oops:.
    I feel for Chris and Davide who had a incident on the first lap which always causes frustration and we do this or fun, but it can be your worst day at work with frustration when this happens.:mad:
    My race start was ok but managed to keep P2 and for 3 laps behind Jos, I felt i had a little more race pace speed but couldn't get past and then made a stupid out braking manoeuvre and that was it, P6 and working my way up to P2, Nine seconds left to Csaba and .5 on the last lap just couldn't make it.
    still Awesome work and speed by Jos for the race win, and Csaba for consistency and P2.
    will try to make the next one:)

• Like Like x 3