Round 4 Bridgehampton

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series - S2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Mar 18, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Bridgehampton

Built in 1957 the Bridgehampton Race Circuit was located in the heart of the Hamptons on Long Island NY. It was in operation until 1997 when ever growing public displeasure with the track caused it to be converted to a golf course. This track is modeled after the later years around the late 80's and early 90's when wild grass was everywhere and the trees were tall.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Stef Williams

Stef Williams Pro Driver

I have a Summer and a Fall option when I load Bridgehampton. I'm sure the tracks are the same, but just to be on the safe side, which one are we using in the race?

3. John vd Geest

We will go with the summer version. I forgot to tell Rob who sets up the server.

4. Daniele Scarpa

Daniele Scarpa Pro Driver

hello guys, if I can join this race I chose the mclaren M5A

5. John vd Geest

I have added you to the list. Please do a few laps on the practise server so we can get your GUID info to assign the car to you.

6. Daniele Scarpa

Daniele Scarpa Pro Driver

[QUOTE = "John vd Geest, post: 25931, membro: 83"] Ti ho aggiunto alla lista. Si prega di fare alcuni giri sul server di pratica in modo da poter ottenere le informazioni GUID per assegnare l'auto a voi. [/ QUOTE]

ok

• Like Like x 1
  7. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

Well another DNF after being passed by other drivers way to easily.
    Dissapointed that I just cannot get the car stable while being passed by other drivers who seem to be on rails.
    Had a race with Jens before making a mistake in the last corner. He was quicker than me it was inevitable that I would be passed. I had to wait until lapping drivers passed before i could rejoin track.
    From there my cars handling just got stupid as i slid of again at the first corner.
    I really wish i hadnt taken the Eagle for this season as i dont have the skill set to hustle it around as standard let alone 40 kg extra
    The car actually felt ok for the first half of the race but even then it handled differently from practice.
    Im at a loss how to get on terms with the rest of the field and cannot figure where i am going wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

@Martyn McClune Maybe a setup issue ? I'm not good at setups myself and having a fixed setup like in season 1 was easier for me. But Deutschlandring was pretty good on default setup I'd say but it wasn't the case for this one. On default my car (Cooper) was all over the place, still haven't found a good setup for the Bridge but it's more stable. Or maybe the Eagle just doesn't fit your driving style. Haven't tried the Eagle much but between the Lotus and Cooper I have driven now it feels more stable at least.

9. John vd Geest

I know how you feel. It's not a good car for twisty tracks. But we should have an advantage on power tracks like Longford and Monza. We will blow them away there Martyn :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. John vd Geest

You will have noticed that there was no broadcast for this event. Caitlin was unable to attend yesterday.

11. Martyn McClune

I just watched the replay and I actually had a better race than how it felt in car . My setup was ok but I was watching chat in practice and lengthened my gearing, maybe a touch too much, right before qualifying. I was running a high coast low power setup and the car did handle well during first 30 odd minutes of the race although sluggish at times. I had good accuracy but lacked a little power. My lap times were consistent and driving smooth. My setup went off big time around the 34 minute mark where the car started to oversteer under braking and off throttle it started snaking from side to side. One thing I did notice in replay was that I had the ride height set quite low on this bumpy track as some others definately had more daylight showing below their cars. Had a really good battle with Jens Roos for most of the 30 mins I raced. Jens was faster in some sectors of the track and I in others so thanks Jen I needed some actual racing laps. I seem to be overly distracted while being lapped and often make the cardinal mistake of checking track map at the worst possible moment.
    Congratulations to the podium guys:D
    I will figure this out :)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Even if I was of pace in these cars (no surprise here) there was many good race laps with Martyn and we seem to be equal in pace, best race so far :)

But for some reason this mod cause micro stutters for me, very strange as other mods in AC works fine in general.

Running triples+SLI, so if anyone have find any good combo or tweaked settings please advise.

13. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

I guess that this one will be my last championship in which I race during a working day. It's pretty useless to train for a race, when you risk to not attend it every time. It's a waste of time for me. Nothing good to say about this race, except I'm glad that my VDA teammate Daniele decided to return to compete with me after more than 5 years from our last race together. I was sure he didn't lose his sheen during this time.
    Sorry to Toudal for our contact in the first laps but I was stucked in the middle of the road after my spin and could do nothing to avoid the contact.
    About the rest of the race a no comment will be better.
    See you

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  14. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Try reducing smoke and reflection settings. In some cases, SLI also causes stuttering.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fabrizio Ferrante

Fabrizio Ferrante Pro Driver

In my opinion, Eagle is a great car. Probably the best choice. It is very friendly, easy to drive and fast on the straight (something very useful in race). Forgives many mistakes without becoming too risky.
    I don't agree on a lack of competitiveness. Last year the car had laptimes similar to Lotus. I don't see how far it can be now, both of them have 40 kg of ballast. And, I repeat, it has the advantage of being very friendly; try to go fast throughout the race with a Lotus without making mistakes ...
    Those cars are, now (with ballast), pretty even with the rest of cars. I read that for some pilots Cooper is OP. I'm also here in disagree. Cooper is funny to drive and good in laptimes, but on edge can be unpredictable and lose stability easily. Also its low-top-speed doesn't help in race.
    Last season I was in Eagle and I said, often, that it was a easy car. Now I'm in Cooper and I say it is more difficult and dangerous.

About Eagle setup, I read in chat during qual strange diff. settings. The main thing to touch is the "power" of brakes. Reduce it at 80%, otherwise they are too aggressive and tend to be few manageable, locking the tires. Better have a brake-bias more in front, around 56 %, but it depens on all other setting. Diff, I would use 60-30 with a small preload. Default dampers are too soft. Being a friendly car it is also quite easy to play with the setup.

About my race. Not bad, but not good either. At start I had problems with the 2nd gear and I lost some positions. Later I had a long battle with Laurent. I managed to pass it after a his little mistake. At the end of race, I did a mistake, I touched the dirt with the rear wheel and the car went into a violent oversteer, fortunately I managed to control it and not spun. But so Jukka passed me. We continued stay really close, but at 2 last laps, a lapped guy preferred stay between Jukka and me. He probably didn't like being lapped. In every case, I had no chance to pass Jukka, also without this "trouble". So all is ok.

Congratulations to Daniele, perfect race. Congratulations to Tim, pushing hard a slow Honda and to Jukka for a good recovery. Bad luck for Matteo.

16. Stef Williams

Stef Williams Pro Driver

Quali was not great. Only managed about one reasonable lap whihc left me in 8th, but all things considered I was quite happy with that. Got beaten off the line by @John vd Geest on the first lap. I think there was a bit of contact between us at some stage when I reaer-ended John, but no harm done. Got past him again only to have a brief off which put him in front again. We went past a bit of a spinfest which I guess must have included @Matteo Santini because he was soon on my tail and muscled his way past. An attempt to get past John saw them both spin which left me with no-one chasing and @Mac Shepherd in front (I think). Managed to get past him and increase the gap but couldn't catch @Phil Brown who was next in line... Then nothing much happened for the final 20 minutes, except for Matteo catching up with me again. I managed to make another mistake and went off again, which allowed him past and ended up in 9th at the end. Not a brilliant result but quite glad that I made way fewer unforced errors than I have in all the previous races. Also didn't get lapped, so there's that too... Congrats to the familiar names in the top 6. I'm guessing it wasn't broadcast this time? Couldn't find it anywhere...

@John vd Geest - I'm not here for the next race. Good luck to all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Martyn McClune

Fabrizio, just to be clear
    I didnt say the Eagle was not competetive, i actually said that I was struggling to be competetive in combination with any car. I agree the car is nice to drive but iim looking to take it to the next level and cannot figure how.
    I do appreciate that I am up against some very experienced and talented racers so my expectations are quite realistic, but it would be nice not to be circulating just waiting to be lapped:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I started practicing Thursday evening thinking I would do some laps and it would be fine for the race on Friday .. wrong! My car was all over the place, oversteering uncontrollably. So I started making setup changes to make the car more tame, but even then I didn't feel confident on this track. On friday, I went off track on my first three (!) qualifying laps, from there I went slower and tried to go faster lap by lap. My confidence to push was gone so I went into the race with the idea that making it to the finish without big offs would be good enough. Race start went well, some incidents in front meant I was able to get up to P3. About 10 or 15 minutes before the end of the race I had a slight off and Fabrizio got past, and Jukka soon after. I was struggling the last part of the race, the car feeling really twitchy and I just took it easy and cruised to the finish line in P5. Bit of mixed feelings about this one. Glad to finish the race without collisions or big incidents but at the same car I haven't pushed a single lap because the chances I would have ended up upside down were real. Put my rears in the sand a few times but was able to catch the violent oversteer a few times luckily. It was still fun though. Hadn't done a full race in quite some time as I was in Africa a few weeks. Daniele and Tim were really fast, congrats !

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  19. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

That went a lot better than my disaster at Deutschlandring, I just couldn't set the car up there to my satisfaction and my qualifying results said everything that was needed.
    In the race I prospered at the misfortune of others despite some odd hardware failures and nabbed some points.
    Up until Thursday that was how I felt this race would go, as my car was completely unstable on the bumps preventing me from pushing as hard as I need to - I think when I packed it in on Wednesday night I was 8th fastest on the timing sheets..
    On Thursday I decided to start from scratch, and so loaded the first setup I ever made for this car (for Kyalami believe it or not) - and one that was never raced with as it was improved upon almost immediately.
    Even straight out of the pits with the wrong tire pressures and gearing it was amazing - think I found myself 4th quickest just by the end of the 4 lap warmup phase where I was figuring out the tire pressures I'd need.
    With that as a god base I was able to steadily coax more and more pace out of the Honda, eventually I had it going as fast on full fuel as the 2nd row of the grid were achieving in practice.

Daniele put in an astonishing time just prior to the race, I didn't have time to try and beat it and aren't sure I could have anyway - I was hoping his car was trickier to drive to give me chance at the pole. We couldn't have been much closer when he eventually did pip me!

Race started well, Daniele and I had a pretty well matched start, but the power of the Honda started to edge me ahead as we approached the bridge and T1. We took that side by side and either I had a better exit or Daniele backed off as I was looking clear to take the racing line into T2.
    Unfortunately I missed my turning in point and ran out into the sand, I think that dropped me to 4th.
    I passed Matteo on Lap 2 when he seemed to have a large wobble entering the valley of the lefts and found myself behind Jukka, a few laps later and I was close enough to get by on the S/F straight but got too much air under my front wheels and threw myself way out in to the sand again!
    I re-joined having only lost a couple of spots and pressed on again, passing Laurent (I think) on the main straight and then Jukka at the last turn several laps later when he ran wide and span.
    From there I just drove hard and hoped Daniele would have an off to give me a hope of catching him - he didn't sadly, so although I'd closed about 6 seconds between passing Jukka and the end of the race I was still way back.
    My final plus point was stealing back the race fastest lap by a similarly small margin as the qualifying gap:D and not having my wheel loose it's center like last round (I'm using a different USB port and hoping it'll keep working now).

Well Done Danielle on an excellent race, Jukka on 3rd and everyone else for fighting through to the finish. Thanks to the backmarkers I encountered on track also for making it easy to pass.

Bring on Charade next, by far my favorite GPL circuit, sadly the AC version isn't quite as nice - but it should still be suicidally dangerous and fast ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

Have been super busy last few weeks and thou silent in here. It still is very busy but thought to drop by. Daniele and Tim were superfast and I think I would not have chance keeping Tim behind even without my spin. Some great fighting at start of the race and also hunting down Laurent and Fabrizio. I upgraded my computer and for some reason it didnĀ“t record reply from race. Could someone upload reply? I would like to check couple of my own moves if they were ok or not. Congrats Daniele and Tim and thank for everyone for great racing

• Like Like x 1