rFactor 2 Round 4 Kyalami

Discussion in 'Historic F3 Trophy Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

SERVER IS UP

2. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Any chance using the dx11 version released mid 2018 of this track instead, otherwise the exact same version (Kyalami_Legends_[1976]_1.01LE_dx11.rfcmp)?
    Less bright colors, especially if post processing is used, I'm not but still noticeable.
    upload_2020-11-13_21-24-6.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Too late to change things for this race Jens, but thanks for the info. I'll look into updating our Resources version. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Amazing race yesterday at Kyalami.
    The battle with @Gert-Jan van Osch was truly epic. Almost 40 mins of constant swapping of position and respectful driving, even if there was a bit of drama in lap 22.
    I had a great start after Gert-Jan signed a pole position for which I had really no answer (1:31:0 - Well done!). Moving into P1 and with @Caitlin Penny holding Gert-Jan in third, I managed to get a second advantage that was not really enough to make a gap with them. Soon enough Gert-Jan, followed by Caitlin were on my tail and the slipstream would keep us together for the rest of the race. I think Caitlin must have had a moment in those initial turns as we broke away from her and, from that point, Gert-Jan and I kept feeding each other with slipstreams that open a big gap with P3 for the rest of the race. I knew that any significant error would give Gert-Jan enough to go away so focus and concentration were at max. I embraced the fact that, barring a mistake, we would be together for the rest of the race. So I decided to study Gert-Jan by testing him on different parts of the track.
    Being obvious that we both could overtake at Crowthorne corner after the slipstream of the main straight, I tested for reactions by going on the insight at Sunset Bend... The first time was good, Gert-Jan had to leave enough space on the right and, at speed, it was difficult to measure well that challenging right turn... I could force my way there if needed (although later on, he got much better at keeping position there when I tried too many times that test). There were not really many other places to overtake. Perhaps the Clubhouse bend but, with my 3rd gear up to the limit in that turn, he had really the advantage in that turn... After the (minimal) drama in turn 22, Gert-Jan had a great run on L23 and opened a worrying gap. L24 was critical. I had to get back to the slipstream and catch up again. My CrewChief was clear "stick with him, keep him under pressure". I had done it (fastest lap of the race up to that point) and back on P1 after Crowthorne. That was well answered by Gert-Jan with the fastest lap of the race that he did on L26.
    I had started to get busy with the maths... It was obvious whoever was on P2 in the penultimate lap, would have the advantage for the win. I kept P2 on L27 by not taking the lead at Crowthorne but I wasn't sure how many laps were left... My maths were not working, I recovered the lead at Crowthorne in L28 but my Crewchief quickly told me that there were 2 mins to go! That meant there was only one more lap left (and I was on P1!). Subtlety I allowed Gert-Jan to overtake at Sunset Bend and put all my hopes on the last lap with a good slipstream and holding the expected counter-attack by Gert-Jan...
    Last lap: Crowthorne went well, I was back in P1... held well at Sunset bend. Then the back of the grid was showing (would they play a role in the final turns!?)... More tension added. Had a bit of a moment at Clubhouse but it was fine, only Leeukop bend was left (where Gert-Jan had shown he could take enough speed to get on P1 by the end of the lap)... But I kept the position until the end. I was ecstatic.
    Congratulations to Gert-Jan for such a fantastic race and fight, and to Caitlin for the podium.
    Thanks to @Ken Jagger for setting things up.
    Here, the video of the race:

See you at Rouen!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

I didn't have a moment. I just couldn't keep up with you guys. You two were in a class of your own yesterday!
    Congrats on your win. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Thanks Caitlin. I'm having a fantastic week! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

This was truly an epic battle with @Jos Ogos as racing supposed to be... I had a great qualifying lap that rewarded me with pole position... I had a bad start where I had a way too long 1st gear selected and that gave the chance for @Jos Ogos and @Caitlin Penny to overtake me. However I was able to catch rather quickly and take back 1st position. While the race progressed it was also clear to me that I could not shake off Jos... I think basically his gearing ratios were better than mine. I also realised that whoever exited turn 1 on the last lap would win the race. In the last lap I did not close the door well enough to let Jos sneak up on the inside and lost the lead. In turn 2 I missed the apex and that resulted in a gap I had to make up for in the rest of the lap which did not give me the opportunity anymore to attempt on overtaking manouvre. I was faster in the left right section before the last corner so I could only catch up at the end of the lap.

Congrats to Jos and Caitlin for the win and completing the podium. This is how racing should be compared to how the previous race could have been. This is a great series so far and I hope there is more racing like this to come in the upcoming events. CU on track...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I think such a great historic race as this was, it would deserve to be reproduced properly in vintage mode. Hope you like this old nostalgic touch. Enjoy!

Jos Ogos

• Creative Creative x 1