Assetto Corsa Comp Round 4 Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'SRO Tuesday Night Racing Ginetta G55 GT4 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

gcr42.jpg Registration

[​IMG]
    Sixty years ago, in 1957, the motor racing landscape forever changed. That's when the first sports car race was held here at the new Laguna Seca Raceway.

The beginnings of now-named Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is traced back to the Pebble Beach Road Races that began in 1950. And by 1956, this popular race had swelled to more than 50,000 spectators crowding the tree-lined forest course. International driving stars regularly competed and the atmosphere was both racing and a social happening.

There were, however, some very serious problems concerning driver and spectator safety, who were dangerously close to the road. There were no safety areas between the racers and the many pine trees that lined the public roads. There was also concern about the quality of the road surface and widths for safe passing.

Unfortunately, in April 1956, the concerns took a disastrous turn. Ernie McAfee left the road in his Ferrari 121 LM and hit a tree. It was a fatal accident, and the last race to be held in the forest.

The popularity of the races and the financial impact on the community, however, impressed the military authorities at Ford Ord. They began working with the newly-formed group of civic-minded businessmen who created the not-for-profit Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) in an effort to keep sports car racing in Monterey.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson Pro Driver Donator

Sorry guy´s have to abandon this event also .:(

3. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

It's my brothers' birthday today - so while I think I'll be back in time I'm just giving a heads up that I might be a no show.
    Sorry if that's the case

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

oops i practised for zandvoort last night, not Laguna :oops: plenty of sand at both, just the wrong circuit :p

Will have to rely on my natural god given talent :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Stephen Wenham

Stephen Wenham Pro Driver

not sure i will be home in time tonight, but if i am i will be racing

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob Milliken

• Like Like x 1
  7. James Bird

James Bird Pro Driver

Taken out by Vasilis Doumanis again. 1st lap, what happened to 1st lap etiquette?

8. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

Actually i was almost one car in front and i had the racing line when i was turning.. I think its not my fault, i watched the replay many times.. I want someone to watch the replay too and see if it was my fault or not. Until then i still insist that i was in front and i had the racing line...

9. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

what an action packed cracking race that was again last night. People not racing these GT4's dont know what they are missing for close racing with cars that feel a bit more alive.
    Turned up with my near hours worth of zandvoort practise from the night before under my belt :rolleyes: but at least it meant i was in the groove with the car and i know this track very well from a recent couple of Porsche cup races.
    Qualified 5th so not too shabby with less than 10mins practise but felt i could go quicker.
    Got a decent race start and it all looked clean down into that tricky 'often incident filled' turn 1. I was glued to the car in front while Gutierez? attacked me from the rear. After a few laps it felt like us top 5 had broken away from the pack and there was some intense racing right upto the finish flag. Get just one wheel off here and you can get swamped by the field so it was very focused hot intense close racing. I was banging in 1:31 and 1:32 times so car was performing well even though i had to adjust my corner entries to suit worsening understeer. Several position swaps took place after great battles and eventually i was running a fine 3rd after getting by Simon and then Bonner. He wasnt done though and launched a fierce attack to try and get his 3rd place back. We had an epic fight upto the very last corner, all clean and good racing. But literally as we turned into that last corner side by side, someone else turned me around from behind :( and he was allowed to scamper down to the line, which was slightly annoying. Would have been a photo finish across the line i think.
    Still, absolutely great race, finished 4th :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  10. James Bird

James Bird Pro Driver

11. James Bird

James Bird Pro Driver

Where did you expect me to go? You had the outside line and space to pass. I was on the inside and had just lifted so i didnt make contact with the car ahead.

12. Rob Milliken

@James & @Vasilis, Looks like it got a bit messy ..
    I have looked at it several times now & looks like James was established on the inside already on the curb, Vasilis has a big run coming from the outside and when turning into the apex contacts James' car, James has nowhere to go so here we are :rolleyes:.. In the replay, there was plenty of room on the outside but hindsight is 20/20 & in the heat of the moment things happen fast. I don't believe there was any intent to cause contact.
    It's easy to look at a replay and say "he had plenty of room on the outside" but it does not always look the same from the cockpit. Laguna is a tight tricky track & one wrong move can result in disaster. This is just my take on it ..
    In the end, it looks like James got out ahead of Vasilis after the contact. so if it was up to me, I'm calling this a race incident.
    * To get an official admin review an official protest must be filed.;)

13. Vasilis Doumanas

Ok Rob thank you for stated this. As it seems even if it's a race incident or not, it's my fault again and i taken him out.. Again ... Obviously i dont deserve to race here when i keep taking ppl out and destroying their races, i will unregister from the series and maybe i will come back when i will learn to let ppl pass me when i am in front..
    For the history, i am not the one who was complaining about the incident but Bird was, saying that i taken him out again and it was completely my fault...

Thank you.

14. Rob Milliken

I would not be so hard on your self & please don't unregister because of this .. I get you feel bad, I have been in your shoes :rolleyes::oops:lol The fact you feel bad shows you care & is solid proof that you are on your way to being a great driver;) learn from it . there is no shame ..lol A simple apology goes a long way in these instances:)

Racing at its core is intense, things happen! Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail ..
    "The moment you don't go for a gap your no longer a race car driver" quote from the great senna ;) ..

It happens to all of us at one point or another, it's just the nature of racing. I'm sure nobody wants you to leave. We are building a solid ACC community here & we all learn something from every race. It's unfortunate but it's done and no protest was ever filed so on to round 5:D...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Hey Mark. It was me who turned you around on the very last corner of the very last lap. I hate when this happens. My fault totally and my apologies. I thought you were going to follow 3rd place and go wide to the right following him to the finish line but instead what happened, from what I remember, you got a good run off, stayed more on the left of him so you could slingshot out, passing 3rd by the time you guys crossed the start/finish line. Obviously I was to close, didn't realize you would be their and bam, their you were. Crap, it was a connection I made and the sad thing, I wasn't even going for a move :(. After the connection, I leaned off the gas so I wouldn't pass you before the start/finish line. Good thing Mr. Gymer was to far back to capitalize on this. But in the outlook of things, I had good fun, you had a great time and I believe that's what matters over all. Watching you guys duke it out was great.

Overall, I had great fun. Fuel calculations were off. I was using 1.8L per lap before the race in practice. Race time, I was noticed I was using 1.9L. Ohh man. Short shifting, saving fuel and trying to be fast? :eek: I finished with 0.1L of fuel. That's way to close.

On another note, I think it's great people from around the world can meet up, race together, abide by the same rules and talk about it afterwards. Reason why this race was so enjoyable.

See you guys soon.

Johnny,

Edit: Congrats Jeffrey! Your flying.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 3
  16. Vasilis Doumanas

Thank you Rob for your kind words, i really appreciate it.

Some facts about the incident that i want to share.
    1. I didnt divebomb, i braked regular at the right brake mark, James braked earlier or lift his throttle because he had a car right in front of him.
    2. I gained an advantage right after the braking and i had the right line, the racing one, when James was on the left one.
    3. Turn 6 is a tricky one, its not a regular turn like turn 3 or 4. It has gradient in the inside which means, i couldn't give room at all. At this turn you can only follow the racing line or else you will crash..
    4. I was almost one car ahead when i was about to turn. We were not side by side or a bit behind, i was clearly front, when James had his nose at my rear wheel. Why should i be the one who must brake and give the position? As i explained i couldn't give room at this turn, it cant be, its obvious from a physics point of view. I believe he could brake harder and let me turn avoiding the incident.
    5. I am a man that admits his mistakes, i have done plenty of them here, none of them was in purpose and ALWAYS apologized after the race or later here. I got very very sad and frustrated when James said that he got taken out AGAIN by me, implying that i did it in purpose.
    From my point of view its nothing more than a race incident, i was in front and i couldn't give room at this turn and its completely not my fault.
    A race incident that i never complained about it.. But someone threw the full responsibility on me saying that i took him out, implying that i did it in purpose and mentioning the zero lap contact..

Anyways..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

No problem Johnny, thanks for the apology and explanation. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vasilis Doumanas

I just saw it for a reason, happy birthday to your brother Tim :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mark Ekins

Mark Ekins Pro Driver

Was a battle just lasting the race. Pretty depressing qualifying so far back when looking at Simon and Mark as i'm normally a bit closer to them but just not enjoying the car. I know its partly due to it being RHD and the HUGE A-pillar reducing visiblity but also the understeer and oversteer to the car.

20. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

Finally someone mentions the RHD thing. I also hate that about this car, which is weird when you consider we are RHD drivers in the UK, but for some reason in sim-racing you get so used LHD that anything else is wierd and makes it much harder to judge the edges of the car!

I must admit I was quite surprised how quick I was in qually as I did ZERO practice this time. But then the usual happened with this car and the tyres just went to pot half way through and never recovered. Really don't understand it. They were not hotter or colder and no different PSI, but still it's like they are badly worn, which of course they can't be. Can anyone explain?