Round 4 Nordschleife - Thu Nov 12, 2020

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa league: DRM mod Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 5, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]

Welcome to Round 4 Nordschleife

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

I just wonder why we (not me) vote this track to race almost every series, I mean it's not offer good racing at all, just driving around for 1 hour, barely no overtakes, nothing.... Maybe it's good for endurance but these 60 minutes sprints are just 7 laps hotlapping and then glass of something with bubbles and off to bed with bad feeling... ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

BTW which layout is it? Endurance or Endurance-cup?

4. John vd Geest

We will do the Endurance Cup version. Gives you more time to "enjoy" the Green Hell :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

I would not agree that if offers "nothing..." I've always found Nords to be more of a personal challenge than a series challenge. Like the Indy 500. 4 turns, no brakes, big deal. However, getting to the end without destroying the car is always the challenge. I haven't got on the podium at either track but will always welcome the challenge. And you should too. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

That's a good point, Mark.

Basically it's a track to challenge yourself/push your limits. Don't forget - typically the more difficult a circuit is to drive, the less chance of close racing. So it's always difficult to strike a balance, especially in a vintage series when we're using Vintage tracks or tracks like the Nurburgring which are really narrow and difficult and retain their original layout from almost 100 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kimi Martikainen

Mark, Ted, I understand your points but racing against others just is more fun than doing hot laps. Hotlapping is like pleasuring yourself, very alone... ;) Well anyway track is in and cars are so exciting, no big deal, its just in every series and to be honest I'm bored with it. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  8. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I totally sympathize, Kimi, I wasn't disagreeing. Personally, I don't care about racing people closely too much since I like the immersion of the vintage series. I just want to race the cars on the tracks they would have raced on in real life - or similar rough equivalents - so that I can feel like I'm "there" if that makes sense.

I fully understand your disappointment about the quality of the racing the Nurb gives, though, since it does indeed end up being quite the procession. I think that's also a valid perspective.

I will say that I don't know what the solution to the perceived problem of high frequency for certain tracks is, though. If a lot of the drivers are disgruntled the same handful of tracks get used too often, maybe we can increase the amount of "Admins choice" circuits that are used in the leagues, or change which tracks are in rotation to be voted on? It's a heated topic, for sure. I don't envy the admins because I feel like any change to the current system would leave somebody unhappy, however constantly recycling the same tracks also clearly makes long-standing drivers unhappy, as well, depending on their opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  9. John vd Geest

The video in post 1 is the DRM on the Nordschleife, so you can fully feel you're "there" :D. It's totally in agreement with the real DRM.

upload_2020-10-9_20-35-59.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. John vd Geest

TED HOUGH FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!
    I would not have chosen the Nordschleife myself, but it was chosen by the league (some of them).
    That's not to say I dislike the track. I like driving there. The track is awesome, but not for racing against cars. It gets lonely pretty quick and then it becomes hotlapping.
    But ... if the real DRM did it, so will I :p:cool:

Multiplayer races work better with shorter tracks with lap times under 2 minute because you keep more in "contact" with each other. There is more close fighting and the overview on your competitors per lap is much better.
    And I do like to introduce new, exciting tracks. Learning a new track and then racing it is an adventure. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Kimi Martikainen

Ted for president and John for dictator, people has spoken... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I would be 100% okay if the SRO Admins wanted to propose realistic calendars or have a Minimum amount of Admin-selected tracks per series if it meant we got closer to the actual real-life calendars for the vintage series. I would also be totally cool with them choosing tracks that are just fun to race on, too. I'm open to any solution to try and keep a wider variety of the drivers happy, and I'll race either way when I have time :)

To keep it democratic and make it really amusing; after the end of this season, we can always hold a Vote to decide if we'll have less Votes for tracks? lol I know I would vote to not vote. :D

Edit: I just had a thought for another potential solution. When a new series is announced, the admins could create the list of voted-on tracks from the actual Callendar of the vintage series we're copying. So for example, we'd take the list JVD Posted above of the actual Group 5. DRM Champ, then people would vote for their preferred 6 tracks of those that were raced in the actual series? There's plenty of ways we could potentially experiment with this to try and keep it immersive, fun and democratic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. John vd Geest

Sure, you have my vote :)

14. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

John is constantly looking for new cars and tracks to introduce at SRO. We are very fortunate to have him as an Admin! He's been with us since day 1 and has been an important part in building this website and all the tools we use every day to manage series and events. All of our Admins work hard to bring us the best series and events possible and they don't ask for anything in return, except your participation. So Register Now ! :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I don't know, some of my best fights have been on the Nurburgring, most notably in GPL - but I also remember having a nearly race long fight here a few years back in a Lotus 25 in AC (I think I've driven this layout twice so far in leagues over the last 3 years, so don't know what the fuss is about :p )

16. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

Man, I've never played GPL but used to be in a dedicated GPL-Mod league for Assetto Corsa. Vintage Nurburgring in a no-donwforce vintage car really is some new kind of level of immersion. Has to be some of my favorite memories of sim racing, are feeling that fear like when I race a spooky fast car IRL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John vd Geest

I bought Grand Prix Legends in 1999. When I first drove it on Monza I went crazy because I always blew my engine after 2 or 3 laps. What the hell is going on?! Is the game broken?
    Then I read in the manual that you had to clutch when shifting gears. Then I loved the game. But man!! What a hardcore sim that was. Wow. You remember Janakkala and Dundrod or Brno 49? Epic !! I wish we had those tracks in rF2 or AC.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

GPL was a smart move by Papy back then (now iRacing). I assumed it was somewhat easier to licence that era than some current racing series, but also to show off their awesome and dramatic suspension movement on these cars and physics hahha I also got it somewhere in 1998-99 and it was where I learned of and was very impressed with tracks such as Mosport, Rouen and most importantly Nordschleife. And then every other sim that had Nordschleife was much easier for me ehehh Not that I rule the place, but it was like a difference between... having or skipping math at school lol also I don't rule the math.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I've never driven Janakkala, is it recent? I only really stopped regularily racing a year or 2 back.
    As for Dundrod, that remains the only race I've ever won without actually finishing - with 2 laps to go only 2 of us were still 'alive' and I'd crossed the line some 15/20 seconds ahead of the 2nd place guy (he qualified lower but just hadn't crashed yet :D ).
    I was still leading entering the final lap, only to loose it big stye half a mile from the end and rip both the wheels off the right hand side of my car. I resigned myself to 2nd and then looked to see where my opponent was on track, just in time to watch him blow up big style in a stone wall and also score a DNF :cool:
    It's the only time I'm even aware of in UKGPL that a race was finished with no finishers!:confused:

The Brno variants are all excellent in the '66 mod. That's by far the most technically proficient mod in my mind - I'm still annoyed they never implemented the on/off cam physics from that mod into the later realeases :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. John vd Geest

Shame no one makes it for AC. That would be so awesome.
    There is a conversion for GPL Sachsenring 67 for AC, but the pitlane doesn't work so can't be used. But I don't know anyone who can fix that.