rFactor 2 Round 4 Norisring - Sun Oct 24, 2021

Discussion in 'DTM 1991 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 8, 2021.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

DTM 1991 banner.jpg

Welcome to the Norisring

The Norisring is a street circuit in Nuremberg. As the city's German name Nürnberg would lead to confusion with the Nürburgring, the old name Noris was chosen for the simple track which is now approximately 2,300 metres (1.4 mi) long.

Since 18 May 1947, motor racing events around the remaining 360 metres (0.22 mi) long grand stand (Zeppelinhaupttribüne or simply Steintribüne) are held on streets that are otherwise used for public traffic. Different configurations were used in the early years, including figure-8 layouts. Nowadays, the start-finish straight in front of the central grand stand leads to a right hand sweeper and the lefthand U-turn at Grundig tower, and back in a (now lefthand) sweeper to the Steintribüne, where the "Schöller-S" right-left chicane lead to the backstraight at its backside. Cars touch the outside wall often there. After a righthand kink, the lefthand U-turn of "Dutzendteichkehre" leads back to the main straight after a flat-out lefthand kink.

Due to its proximity of the lake "Dutzendteich" and its location inside a large city, the track and event is compared to the Monaco Grand Prix (Fränkisches Monaco).

The annual mid-July Norisringrennen is considered a highlight of the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters series, as fans get closer to the action and the drivers than on modern venues.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  2. John vd Geest

upload_2021-10-11_15-28-24.jpeg

Did a couple of laps and it's good fun on this track. There will be some good fights here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gilles Villeneuve

Gilles Villeneuve Pro Driver

I will try to make it maybe with some friends !! Track is nice! Hope to see you all gentlemens!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. John vd Geest

Cool. The more on the list the better Gilles :)

5. John vd Geest

The race is 62 minutes including the formation lap.

Formation lap procedure:

1. The pole-sitter does the formation lap at approximately 120 km/h.
    2. After we exit the final hairpin (turn 4) we double file in order of qual-positions.
    3. When the pole-sitter crosses the start-line, the race starts for everybody.

6. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Sorry guys. I cannot make it today. See you in the next race.
    Have a good one.
    Jos

7. …..got spun round from a tap on the rear in the exit of T1 lap 1, pull some places back (blue flags don’t seem to be doing their job!) then when I arrive in the pits for my pit stop, someone else was in my pit box (a Mustang), so couldn’t make my pit stop and had to retire:mad::mad:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  8. Gilles Villeneuve

Gilles Villeneuve Pro Driver

I am very sorry to one of the Mercedes. All my fault. Driving the Mustang was a big challenge for me. I will do better next time, Sorry again.

9. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Best race in the series so far, the Audi locomotive seems to suit the track very well. Good race door to door with @Gert-Jan van Osch the first couple of laps with @Johnny Gutierrez lurking behind. When ahead the gap to @Toni Talvitie slowly got smaller to be on his tail at the entry for the pit-stop.

To my surprise Toni must have copied my strategy, out of pits the gap was exactly the same :D

For the final 10 minutes I really focused but it was not possible to get close enough but noticeable the Audi and BMW was strong on different part of the short track. Over the finish line 0.6 seconds difference after 60 minutes of race. Big grats and well done Toni, and thanks to all others who helped when passing on this short and tight track. :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. …..anyone got a replay they can share?

11. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Great race.
    Overall @Jens Roos was faster and would have deserved to win aswell.
    But how to pass my bmw with zero wings? Can get close but its goodbye when straight starts.
    Middlepart of track was a pain, had no setup for that. Also left front was taking serious hits. Had to adjust and find new lines for braking. Straight as possible and that ate my pace a little.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

I qualified in P4 and that was in terms of speed the place I should have been. Toni, Jens and Johnny were faster specially in the final hairpin which they had a better line... Had a great start from P4 where you have the best view when the guy on pole crosses the line. I was able to be in 2nd after the 1st hairpin. As @Jens Roos mentioned we had a good battle where we left room to race... At some point into the race I drifted wide after the chicane and Jens could pass me and I could not follow because I had to defend Johnny. In the end that battle ended in a pirouete in the chicane where I think I l left sufficient space for @Johnny Gutierrez to drive side by side. I had to let @Mark Hightree pass me and continued in 5th.

When rejoining the race I was able to close in on Mark again and I think half way through the race was able to pass him when overtaking a backmark. On a side note it is easier to let some one pass on the straights then in the corner when you are going one lap down and I had unnecesary contact with backmarkers on a couple of occasions.

15 minutes before the end of the race I made a pitstop. The spotter told me there was a car in my pit spot, but I expected him to be gone when I entered because refuelinng only takes 20s and I had that before I was in the pit. Unfortunately an Opel was still in the spot changing tyres or repairs probably and I had to wait for half a lap before I could make my pit stop. When I rejoined the track a BMW passed me and I saw an Audi in my mirrors. When I realized it were the leaders I let Jens pass and followed them to watch the battle for 1st unfold. I also saw lap after lap that Johhny was closing in on the leaders as well. When I rejoined Mark and @John vd Geest were 24s ahead and I was closing the gap to John and saw the gap reduced by 1s a lap. 5 minutes before the end Johnny was close behind and I let him pass me on the front straight. John was 14s ahead and I did not push anymore.

I think 4th place would have been realistic if it wasn't for the delay in the pit lane waiting for the pit spot to free up. On hindsight I had fuel for another lap so maybe a decistion to do another lap would have been better in the end.

All in all I had great fun on this little twitchy track... CU next time.

• Like Like x 3
  13. John vd Geest

Download link set on the Norisring event page.

upload_2021-10-25_10-49-37.png

14. John vd Geest

That must have been Barrett in the Opel. I was having a very nice battle with him in the first half hour. And then he pitted before me while I had still 20 liters left. I was doing 2.30 liters per lap. When I pitted and came out again, Barrett was far behind me. I think he must have changed tires (which is not mandatory). You could have easily done the whole race on one set.
    Was fighting Mark Hightree after my pitstop for 4th place. Gave it all I had, but the gap didn't become any smaller. All in all a fun race. Wish we had all 22 signups on the grid, but we were overlapping in time with the F1 COTA race, so that explains a lot.

15. why on earth, with more pit stalls than cars in the race, do pit boxes have to be shared?

16. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

One would assume, bad configuration of the track. With only 11 driver this should not be necessary, have seen sharing of pit boxes before but then with lot more drivers (on other tracks)

17. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Very sorry if it was me, Gert-Jan [replay confirms it was me]. My race had been very clean, no damage, but I forgot to change the pit menu to no tire change while on the grid. When i came in a bit early (thinking that the evolving traffic situation might let me stay ahead of a faster John vd Geest) there was some weirdness ahead - a car in a stall with another car diagonal across the outside pit lane with a bumper laying next to it (Chris maybe?) [replay confirms it was], and because i was in the first stall i didn't notice they were set to change tires until i they were already doing it. Certainly didn't need it, and it cost, what, and extra 40 seconds?

But for some reason (like being f'n pissed at myself for the initial strategy oversight?) i didn't see you come in behind, or i'd have commented earlier. Didn't know we were sharing stalls here for some unforgivable designer oversight, or i'd only have only used half the stall [see note below].

[As a side note to all: Gert-Jan did the right thing in just waiting. You can't move someone out of your pit spot by ramming them or trying to push them out of the way. All that results in is damage to both cars. If you know stalls will be shared, you can sometimes avoid the problem by the first car occupying only 1/2 the width of the space and sometimes the other car can still get serviced in the other half. But, unlike AC [nod&wink to Johnny G :)], cars in pit lane are not imaginary and trying to drive thru them or ram them out of the way is just not going to work.]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Barrett Erickson

Yeah, there's been an issue from the beginning with the naming of assigned pit stalls in the track configuration files vs. the naming of assigned pit stalls in the car configuration files. You'd think this would have been resolved by now.

19. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Hi Barrett, I noticed when I requested my pitstop I did not turn off to change tyres and repairs either. So I quickly did change the tyres to do not change while driving. I also did not know how long it would take before your pit stop was finished and decided to wait instead of doing another out and in lap. From the rfactor 2 GT/formula pro seasons I also know that collision is also active in pit lane so indeed I waited... It is a pity and it annoys me that it cost me two places but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Barrett Erickson

Hmm... Hadn't thought of the "pit menu" options in a long time. If i remember right, one setting will have it come up when requesting a pit stop. I have mine set to only pop up on pit entry or in the regular cycle of HUD screens. Hasn't been an issue before, but I'll need to rethink that.

• Like Like x 1