Round 4 Road One International

Discussion in 'Porsche 911 GT1 Championship Closed' started by Nigel Middleton, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

2. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

For my first race after a months absence, I couldn't have asked for a better one than this. :)

I expected to face very strong competition from both Scott and Nikolay and was anticipating a best place finish of 3rd if I was lucky, but it turned out even better than that. With only a couple of tenths between the three of us in Qualifying, it was going to be close for sure, but with the rolling start I was just able to hold Nikolay back on the first half-lap until he tried an unsuccessful move on me causing him to half spin. That let Scott and I off his hook and we both slowly pulled away from the other guys building a decent gap in the process.

I was expecting Scott to maybe pull a gap on me, but after 5 laps or so I was able to close back up on him. For the rest of the race we were within 1 sec of each other to the end, during which I managed to get his draft on the front straight and pass around the outside of T1/2 into the lead. An error let him back through into a 6-7 sec lead, but again I was able to close up, including when he also made a mistake on L17. Coming into the final few turns we were glued together again, but a slight coming together 3 turns from the end put Scott into a spin, so not being sure where any blame lay, I slowed and waited for him to get back into 1st place which then left the final fast chicane to try and nail him. I got a draft but the finish line came up too soon to get past him, so the gap was 1.5 10ths at the flag :eek:

This is what simracing is all about and goes to prove that as long as you have at least one other car to race against, it can still be extremely enjoyable!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

Sounds like fun, for me it was not. This car is too loose for me and in combination with this track it was much worser than on any other venue so far.
    Funny that I was third for a short period but it was only a matter of time. A bit later I made a mistake at turn one and it was gone. Then it was really hard to reach the finish because the car got even much worser with tyre deg and car damage of course.

Canot make the next event so have fun maybe I come back for the last one. See you guys.

4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Isn't it weird how some mods just click with our personal driving styles and some don't. It always mystifies me and I don't have an answer for it. However you can take recompense Philipp with your performance at today's USF2000 Brno races, where I couldn't achieve quite the same results and yet you where much more competitive than me :confused:

Ce la vie

5. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

It is ponderous at times! It would suck if we finished in all the same places in all mods.
    Nice to see you back Ken, but you missed some great races in the bmw1 where Phillip, I and some others have had some GREAT races. ( Bummer I missed last week)

REALLY enjoyed the replay and the race (regardless of position!) .. Deep in the mountains, sexy fast cars, AND a tight fight.

Practiced about an hour offline and did fastest with 7/32 wings so came online. but in the last 5 min. of practice I tried 8/40 and went over a sec faster.

Qual; I put on some softs and 10 gal of fuel and the balance was perfect carving the turns.
    Race; car was much trickier on meds and more fuel. Ken described the race except at ~5 min to go the gap was like 3 or 4 sec? so I decided I was going let him get closer on the main straight to make it more interesting.
    Then that corner where I spun I couldn't feel if you had touched me, it seemed like my car went deeper than it should have, and I didnt know where you where exactly as I had to concentrate getting through that set of corners!

Looking back, part of me wishes Nikolay was in the mix with us, because I feel that was my one time to race with him, because on most tracks he be Mr. Quick..
    Finally a full race Ken, usually something spreads us out (like you being way faster in most mods:p)
    and I think you mean 1/2 a tenth at the line; 0.048

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1