rFactor 2 Round 5 Cadwell Park - Sat Mar 13, 2021

Discussion in 'Palatov D4 Season 01 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Dec 1, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

SRO default 03.jpg

[​IMG]

Welcome to Cadwell Park

Located in the Lincolnshire Wolds, Cadwell Park was established in 1934 by Mr Mansfield Wilkinson of Louth. His sons originally used the land for racing their own motorbikes against each other.

Originally the gravel-drives of the country estate measured 3/4 miles, with tarmac and concrete being added in 1938, with widening and lengthening in 1953, and lengthened again in 1961 with the addition of the Donington Curve.

In 1953 the track was lengthened to 1.3 miles (2.1 km), upon the invitation of the 500 cc motorcycle-engined Formula 3 to race in a traditional bike meeting. Around 30,000 spectators attended that particular race.

[​IMG]
    Josh Brookes aviating on a Milwaukee Yamaha British Superbike at The Mountain in 2014
    The track grew to the current 2.25 miles (3.62 km) layout in 1962 and hosted the British F3 series the next May. Some of the bends are named after family members e.g. Mansfield, Charlie and Chris.

One of the biggest developments in the circuit's history occurred in January 2004, when Jonathan Palmer's MotorSport Vision company completed the purchase of Cadwell Park and the other Octagon venues (Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, and Snetterton). Palmer immediately implemented a programme of improvements to the venue, designed to heighten customer experiences both for spectators and competitors.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. John vd Geest

3. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

Can't make this one, should be back for the last one though, have fun all :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ricardo Ferreira

Ricardo Ferreira Pro Driver

This was my worst race ever, I was driving like a stupid. Failed race start, like an AMA. went to grass like 6 or 7 times.. and race finished in the wall. Well deserved for me! :mad:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. John vd Geest

It's just a road bump :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. John vd Geest

So I was 1 second slower then the rest in qual and thought ... how am I losing a full second? I guess I'm not trying hard enough.
    In the beginning of the race I was still 1 second slower and lost a lot of ground. Then I thought, well, I'm last anyway, let's dig a little deeper and I started pushing the car harder through the corners trying different lines. Meanwhile I was figuring out what gears to use where and with what momentum. Learned it at the end of the race and I was flying, but ... it was too little to late :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I had done some testing early in the day and was driving in mids 24s (thought I was safe) but when I got into the server and saw @Kostas Kantzouras times I realised I was in trouble. I watched him over a couple of laps and he was carrying in momentum by a fantastic shifting approach and carrying a lot of speed in corners. This car surprises you with how much speed can carry on corners...
    At the end of the race, I hadn't realised that both Kostas and I had overtaken @Dino Paolini in the champ table (due to his absence) and told Kostas that he was consolidating P2 in the champ. I still thought Dino would be up there and I had been relegated to P3 with Kostas' result... I didn't mean to be so pretentious to suggest that I would keep P1 for myself :rolleyes:.
    Although I'll try everything at Brands...
    The champ has reached its last stage on very tight conditions:
    upload_2021-3-14_9-21-34.png

Or course, Dino and @Ricardo Ferreira have one less race, otherwise they would be 1st and 2nd and it would be for Kostas, @John vd Geest and I to fight for P3.
    Their balancing absences have left things pretty close and intereting for the last round.
    I'll post the video later today, when processed.
    Congrats to Kostas for an impeccable race and John for the podium. Sorry for Ricardo's woes although it's good to see a human angle on these giants from time to time...
    Jos

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

LOL, the calculations are interesting here...
    Assuming I could beat @Kostas Kantzouras at Brands :confused:, which after yesterday's performance will be most challenging, my chances to end at the top of the table would be a dignified P3 in the race with @Dino Paolini in P1 and @Ricardo Ferreira completing the podium in second place. Any other plausible scenario (I'm not counting on beating Dino or Ricardo) would be disastrous for me :(.
    So, a massive challenge as I could easily end in P5 after you lot! :oops:
    Of course, all the pressure is on Kostas and Dino and they should feel the heavy weight of having the championship in reach :D
    Jos

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

And the video here:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kostas Kantzouras

Kostas Kantzouras Pro Driver

Its OK, I was confused too and I thought that Dino had secured the 1st place! Only after the race I realized that it's 40 points for the winner, etc. I had forgotten that!

I like this type of tracks, especially Cadwell Park and this time I had found a setup that allowed me to push the car to its limit, although in the race I tried not to take too many risks and try to finish it on the finish line and not on the barrier!

Congrats to all for keeping a good pace and if Ric didn't step a bit on the grass on the fastest corner, it would have been a 3-way battle at the end.

The final race will be fun, my primary goal is to take the teams title once again and I think we're pretty close, so fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1