rFactor 2 Round 5 Donington Park National - Wed Oct 12, 2022

Discussion in 'Austin Mini Cooper S MK1 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 12, 2022.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Mini Cooper kop.png

ROUND 5 DONINGTON NATIONAL

Donington Park is a motorsport circuit located near Castle Donington in Leicestershire, England. The circuit business is now owned by Jonathan Palmer's MotorSport Vision organisation, and the surrounding Donington Park Estate, still owned by the Wheatcroft family, is currently under lease by MotorSport Vision until 2038. It has a capacity of 120,000, and is also the venue of the Download Festival.

Originally part of the Donington Hall estate, it was created as a racing circuit during the period between the First and Second World Wars when the German Silver Arrows were battling for the European Championship. Used as a military vehicle storage depot during the Second World War, it fell into disrepair until bought by local construction entrepreneur Tom Wheatcroft. Revived under his ownership in the 1970s, it hosted a single Formula One race in 1993, but became the favoured home of the British round of the MotoGP motorcycling championship.

Leased by Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd in 2007 the hope that Formula One racing could return to the track, the incomplete venture failed to raise sufficient financial backing during the aftermath of the 2008 global financial crisis. DVLL consequently lost the rights to the British rounds of both Formula 1 and MotoGP series, and in its bankruptcy returned the track to the Wheatcroft family in December 2009.

Under Wheatcroft's ownership, the venue underwent significant work, with the track restored to use in autumn 2010, before major upgrades in the following five years. At the end of 2010, it was announced that Donington would become home to an annual historic motorsport event, the Donington Historic Festival, with new events constantly being added. Since 2010, significant investment across the venue has seen major improvements made to its infrastructure, while the circuit has become a regular fixture for top class motorcycling in the form of the Superbike World Championship.

In January 2017, the circuit business and a long-term lease on the estate was purchased by MotorSport Vision, with the purchase cleared by authorities in August of the same year. Significant investment has seen facilities at the venue brought up to modern standards, with a new restaurant, toilet blocks, large new grandstand and new circuit offices, as well as other detail changes. As well as improving the infrastructure, MSV made additions to the race calendar, with additional major events planned for 2019 which included extra rounds of the British Superbike Championship and British GT.

SU Mini's Masters @ Donington Historic Festival - Mini Cooper S

2. John vd Geest

3. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

2. Donington Nat. Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 7
    4) This race has 100% damage
    5) There is no mandatory pitstop
    6) This event has a standing start

3. You can find the password for the race server on the Donington Nat. event page.

4. You can find the server by first typing sro

5. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

6. No-shows (keeping the entry list real)

If a driver does not show without unregistering for that event or letting us know that he can't make it on the event forum, he will be removed from the series.
    If he is no longer interested in the series, it's fine like it is.
    If he forgot about the event, he can sign up for the series again.

(You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the event you can't do.)

7. Please use the same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

8. Last but not least ... SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

4. John vd Geest

Race server password has been set.

5. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

:( No luck at all with this series

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

That was a really impressive crash you had there

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Fun race, guys! Does anyone have the replay file?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sausage kerbs Flav?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Completely agree Caitlin.
    I didn’t think I’d make the race tonight as Oculus did an update, and for whatever reason I had no sound! Spent nearly half an hour of practice sorting it.
    Finally got it sorted and couldn’t transfer my free practice pace into quali, so felt happy with 4th. Got into the race and realised I’d loaded the wrong race setup! A couple of laps in keeping a watching brief on Kai and Kiril I saw Kai contact Kiril and put him off thin to the tyres down the craners, gifting second place to me. Had to manage the front tyres later in the race as the wrong setup meant I was struggling with grip in the latter stages of the race. Kiril & Caitlin were catching and I didn’t want to push too hard and gift second place to one of them, so I planned to slow a little, make my Mini the widest ever built, and back Kiril up into Caitlin to hopefully force Kiril to defend more rather than attack me. The strategy worked, but only just, and Kiril’s dive up the inside of Catlin into the last corner on the penultimate lap led to him rolling heavily, contacting Catlin’s car in the process. This gave me the breathing space I needed for what turned out to be the last lap.
    Great fight in the last couple of laps!

you were right @Rob Milliken, I breathed a sigh of relief! Great commentary’s Rob and grats to @Rob Swindells on the win and @Caitlin Penny on third.

need a beer now!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Rob Swindells

Rob Swindells Pro Driver

I thought there was a low flying mini coming into land at East Midlands Airport

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

• Like Like x 2
  12. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

But your driving is very entertaining:eek::D...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kiril Kirilov

Kiril Kirilov Pro Driver Donator

Quali: Not worth mentioning. I finally have to remember that although the qualification has started, the traffic light is still RED.:mad:
    Race: All good until lap 2... side by side and @Kai Syvertsen puts his left rear wheel in the grass...no consequences for him but I was somewhere in the woods. All chances for a good race in the lead with @Rob Swindells and @Chris Belfield (with his normal race pace) were gone. Still, a few good laps before I hit the big currywurst.:rolleyes:
    Congrats to top 3 and good race from Caitlin and Chris. Till the next one:cool:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Kiril Kirilov

Kiril Kirilov Pro Driver Donator

@Rob Swindells , I really enjoyed your reaction at this point. I hope for more reactions like this in the future :D And I really have to give you probs that you pronounced my name perfectly right ;) Very good content, keep it up!

Edit: Does this link starts at min 7:25? I just click it and it was not the case.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Could that be classed as the “wurst” possible outcome?;)

You and Caitlin had caught me quickly within the last 3-4 laps so went into “defence” mode, thoroughly enjoyable last couple of laps. Bikernieki a fantastic circuit, looking forward to some close racing there with the usual suspects……..(subject to not being taken out by someone!!;))

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. John vd Geest

Good one Rob. Nice to see and hear the man behind the virtual steering wheel. Commentary was very entertaining. More is very welcome!

Btw, you look nothing like Che Guevara as your avatar suggest ... :p

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Rob Swindells

Rob Swindells Pro Driver

Thanks guys, very kind. :D

• Like Like x 1