rFactor 2 Round 5 Rouen 55-70

Discussion in 'Historic F3 Trophy Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

SERVER IS UP

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Can't join server. It just says an error occurred. I have checked I have the cars and tracks. They're all from Steam so I know I have the correct versions. Done all the usual stuff. :(

3. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

I try to connect and it worked fine.

If not done so, try delete all SRO rfmod in your packages folder:
    upload_2020-11-27_23-20-3.png

If it not helps, add .rfmod extension to the file and hover in the package handler and you get any error in the mouse tooltip

You might also get an error here
    upload_2020-11-27_23-22-0.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Thanks Jens but no good. Oh well I did try. Looks like this series has it in for me. So I see you all next time :(

5. Rob Vandenberg

Rob Vandenberg Pro Driver

There must be a (ore more) bug(s) in the track :mad::mad::mad:
    I went wide in the Scierie hairpin and got a drive thru penalty for cutting the track???
    That is weird because you definitely have no advantage of going wide there.
    But alas, I took a drive thru immediately but this was not cleared.
    All this is really not needed to keep me off the podium ;)
    Anyway: I had no appetite to finish the race.

Summary:
    1) A track limit on the outside of this corner seems not right
    2) I always thought that a drive through was applied after 3 x cut track, this was on the first (and incorrect imo)
    3) Driving at pit limit speed through the pitlane should clear the penalty which it did not

Hope you all had better luck

6. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Well. Someone owes me an apology. I managed to limp back to the pits on three wheels, but with five minutes of damage repairs I decided to call it a day. It's a shame for me because I think I could have challenged for a podium position, even with the quali glitch, but I never got the chance to prove it. I'm going to go and do a full reinstall of rF2 now to see if I can stop it from kicking me every time qualifying starts, because if I hadn't had this then I would have been clear of the accident from the start.

7. Jordi Torrent

Jordi Torrent Pro Driver

I was training on track Rouen 74-94, because the calendar indicated that it was 74/94 and the race was 55/70. Was there any change that I didn't see?
    upload_2020-11-28_19-22-46.png

Attached Files:

8. Ken Jagger

Not a lot I could do Caitlin when running the verge on the exit of T2 and it spit my car across the track. I was a passenger at that point. Of course I wasn't happy that you went out due to the subsequent damage, but s**t happens sometimes and it's nobody's fault.

9. Ken Jagger

Sorry about that mistake in setting up the series Jordi. my bad. :( The file linked contains both layouts, so I should have named it better. However if you checked the race thread it clearly stated 55-70 when the server was set up.

10. Ken Jagger

I'm aware from personal experience that rF2 has other tracks which penalise in the same way e.g. Monte Carlo, where it happened to me when running too deep in the final hairpin. The rF2 cutting system only works on the basis of 4 wheels outside the built-in track limits and not on that + a time lost/gained factor.

11. Ken Jagger

Does anyone have a replay file they can provide a DL link to. I've been looking into Rob's rF2 assigned penalty and doing some post-race server testing with Barrett's help (thank you) which has given inconclusive results. Doing this testing has resulted in the SRO server replay file being overwritten :(

12. Ken Jagger

This is what the results file shows, so 2 penalties were given by rF2, rightly or wrongly, plus an additional pit lane speeding penalty was given. The outcome of my further investigations will hopefully provide a way forward to avoid these debatable rF2 assigned penalties.
    Historic F3 Rouen Penalty.jpg

13. Caitlin Penny

I know. It was your fault that you got out there in the first place, and if I was you I would take a drive-through at the next round, but I understand that s**t happens. I wasn't meaning to sound aggressive or anything, so sorry if I did. It's just that you quite clearly caused me to crash, even though I know it wasn't malicious or anything like that.

14. Ken Jagger

Caitlin you are experienced enough to know we shouldn't need to debate this at all. I was the car in front who made a mistake and you got collected in it. That is a racing incident, no more no less, and doesn't require any penalty to be served.

15. Caitlin Penny

Yeah, I agree, maybe a penalty would be too harsh. Sorry. I just think you should have apologised for the mistake instead of getting defensive.

16. Rob Vandenberg

Thanks for investigating Ken. The cut track penalties, if reasonable at all, where given at the same time. There was only one 'going wide' incident. I payed attention keeping the right speed in the pitlane, but this might as well been just over the limit. It all explains the situation but it is at least confusing. Especially 2 drive thru penalties for one incident.
    Hope for the better next time.

17. Rob Vandenberg

I will send the replay file later on sunday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rob Vandenberg

Only the first part untill I left the race

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

This should be the full replay for the race:
    https://mega.nz/file/aIhzAaQI#I55Bq-15dL4Tbb3371T5VTcM4eIw3I6Oj8lHyyg8WZk

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

If the race at Kyalami was epic and intense, yesterday's race at Rouen was unbelievable.
    The 45 min three-way fight with @Johnny Gutierrez and @Gert-Jan van Osch was unnerving. Real shame that @Caitlin Penny, who had practice times that would have granted her a place in the fight, was struggling with rF2 and couldn't qualify with the subsequent involvement in the accident with @Ken Jagger. Next time Caitlin.
    The draft in these cars gives almost a guarantee of being hooked together barring a major incident or mistake for the whole race. It was clear this would be the case from very early in the race for the three of us. Other than the incident between Johnny and Gert-Jan, we did a great job not to crash against each other considering how close we were racing (three-wide very frequently!). I was trying, although not very consistently, to team up with Gert-Jan first and then with Johnny as soon as the other was left a bit behind to see if we could break free and reduce the fight to a two-way battle that would be more easily handled in the last laps but to no avail. The lack of coordination with Johnny, after Gert-Jan spin, kept us relatively slow and Gert-Jan did a great job to catch up with us again (Fantastic job there!).
    With the three-way fight resumed, anything could happen. Time and the likelihood of 19 or 20 laps were on the wire. Almost impossible to calculate which lap would be the last one and, therefore, what (if you could reasonably think of a strategy for the last turns!?) to do to improve your 1/3 chances of success! Studying each other wasn't easy although I had worked out that a situation where you happen to leave Scierie in second place pretty close to the car in front, would give a greater chance of ending in P1 at the end of the race... Now, how the hell you could engineer that with so much randomness!? The only thing I could think was to stay on the right on the long straight after Gresil... And then, reacting to whatever the situation was passed Scierie... I hit the brakes too late to keep control of the outcome of any planned strategy. Could barely keep control of the car... But, by pure chance, I ended in the exact position I wanted to be. Johnny overtook me but didn't get enough advantage to reduce the draft that would catapult me to P1 before the end of the lap and Gert-Jan, who had worked out a strategy to take Scieri wide open in order to close on us on the last straight, was far enough behind to have time to catch on us by the end of the lap...
    Anyone could have won the race. It was a great drive from Johnny and Gert-Jan. Both very deserving to win the race. Congratulations on such a fantastic drive. Thanks to Ken for setting up the server and see you at Osterreichring in two weeks!
    I leave in here the video to the race, both the normal and the vintage versions. I like more the vintage, what do you think?

And the vintage:

• Like Like x 2