Round 5 Silverstone - Sun Mar 15, 2020

Discussion in 'F1 1991 - Full Race Distance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 22, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

F1 1991 British Grand Prix

The 1991 British Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Silverstone on 14 July 1991. It was the eighth race of the 1991 FIA Formula One World Championship.

The 59-lap race was won from pole position by local driver Nigel Mansell, driving a Williams-Renault. Gerhard Berger finished second in a McLaren-Honda, with Alain Prost third in a Ferrari. Drivers' Championship leader, Ayrton Senna, ran out of fuel in the second McLaren-Honda on the final lap and was classified fourth.

Mansell-Mania greeted the drivers as they arrived at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. The track had been vastly remodelled for 1991, which garnered largely positive reviews from the drivers. The track was no longer the fastest on the F1 calendar, but it now included many challenging corners for the drivers. Elsewhere Tom Walkinshaw had bought a 35% stake in the Benetton team, but the driver line-ups were unchanged from the previous race. Stefan Johansson continued to stand-in for the injured Alex Caffi at Footwork, although it was the last race he would do so.

In qualifying Nigel Mansell took pole in front of his home fans, with title-rival Ayrton Senna second. Riccardo Patrese was third, followed by Gerhard Berger, Alain Prost, Jean Alesi, Roberto Moreno, Nelson Piquet, MaurĂ­cio Gugelmin, and Stefano Modena. Senna made a rocket start to lead Mansell, while Patrese was the first casualty of the day, having been bumped off by Berger (Patrese retired after the first lap as a result). Senna's lead didn't last for long as Mansell re-passed him going into Stowe corner. Roberto Moreno in the Benetton retired from 6th place with a gearbox failure on lap 22.

Mansell and Senna proceeded to rocket off into the distance while Berger, Prost, and Alesi squabbled over third place, with Alesi emerging ahead; he would later retire after colliding with Aguri Suzuki while trying to lap the Japanese driver's Lola.

Andrea de Cesaris had a huge accident on Lap 41 when his suspension failed at Abbey corner, his car bounced back across the track and narrowly missed Satoru Nakajima's Tyrrell; de Cesaris was unhurt.

At the front it was all Mansell as the Englishman recorded his second win in succession, while rival Senna ran out of fuel on the last lap, he would be classified fourth. Berger ended up second, followed by Prost, Senna, Piquet, and Bertrand Gachot's Jordan. Mansell now trailed Senna by only 18 points and momentum was on his side.

In terms of having to prequalify, Brabham would have needed their top car at least in 7th position to demote the Leyton House team, but neither Brundle nor Blundell finished the race (Brundle retired with a broken throttle and Mark Blundell retired with engine failure later in the race on lap 53).

F1 1991 Silverstone onboard lap (Nigel Mansell)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up.

3. Marco Vismara

Marco Vismara Pro Driver

assente

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Havent touched my computer for a month so i take it!

Sorry @Scott Ring @Kahel Grahf noticed little slow you were racing!
    Started to wonder why Kahel driving like a maniac and not giving any thought about blue flags so figured there is something going on :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

Dirty air... and I was trying to let you pass but you didn't get close enough for me to let you pass without loosing scott... my guess was dirty air didn't allow you to, but apparently it was fear :D...
    I did slow down a lot to let 2 blue flag pass a few laps after and that resulted badly... the pace was slow and they ended up fighting, spinning out in from of me, making me loose scott... so...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

Ya I finally had a good fight in these cars so I didnt give WAY too much room as I have in the past. But it cost me.
    Sorry to a couple of the leaders I tangled with:eek:
    Hopefully John can put up a replay.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

This would have been a good track for this car, but to be honest the dirty air made this one really pointless somehow.
    I have a feeling this could have been great otherwise ;(

I did not exactly get what happened all around me towards the middle of the race, I just did my laps and suddenly led the race.
    Almost lost it again towards the end due to not beeing able to get close enough to a lapped car and understeering into a drive-thru cutting-penalty at some point.

cya for the last one in two weeks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Replay is uploaded on the event page.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Riccardo Gengotti

Riccardo Gengotti Pro Driver

it seemed like a good race, then sudden disconnection from the server, end

10. John vd Geest

Yeah, I was behind you and your car was warping a lot.