Round 5 Watkins Glen Chicane

Discussion in 'Group C Honey Jar Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Apr 16, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Watkins Glen International, nicknamed "The Glen", is an automobile race track located in Watkins Glen, New York, at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. It was long known around the world as the home of the Formula One United States Grand Prix, which it hosted for twenty consecutive years (1961–1980), but the site has been home to road racing of nearly every class, including the World Sportscar Championship, Trans-Am, Can-Am, Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the International Motor Sports Association and the IndyCar Series.

Initially, public roads in the village were used for the race course. In 1956 a permanent circuit for the race was built. In 1968 the race was extended to six hours, becoming the 6 Hours of Watkins Glen. The circuit's current layout has more or less been the same since 1971, although a chicane was installed at the uphill Esses in 1975 to slow cars through these corners, where there was a fatality during practice at the 1973 United States Grand Prix. The chicane was removed in 1985, but another chicane called the "Inner Loop" was installed in 1992 after a fatal accident during the previous year's NASCAR Winston Cup event.

The circuit is known as the Mecca of North American road racing and is a very popular venue among fans and drivers. The facility is currently owned by International Speedway Corporation.

2. John vd Geest

3. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is updated with the V0.9 version ..
    With this track there is no ley out named 'chicane' but there is one called ' Boot Classic ' ! I assume this will be the ley out ? I'm setting up the server now for testing ..I will sort the weight penalty's as you hand them out & add them once the track is confirmed ! ;-) …
    Let me know if you want a different layout !
    Thx !

4. John vd Geest

Ah, almost correct :D. We are not driving "Boot Classic" but "Watkins Glen Boot" with the chicane.

5. Rob Milliken

6. John vd Geest

NEWS FLASH !! :D

I have the Porsche completely to my liking and feel totally at home in it and have therefore become too dominant. That's no fun for you and no fun for me.

So ... I have decided to move over to the Mazda 787B.

That car is a bit harder to handle then the Porsche because of it's nervous personality in the lower gears.
    I have already set a time on the server with 100 Liters and Hard tires + 90 kilo's weight penalty.
    This car change only applies to me because it makes the championship more interesting. The weight penalty seems to effect the Mazda more then the Porsche so it will make me slower.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

In all honesty my friend, if you are dominant, then that's the way it is. I have no issues with that. Up to you.

These cars are tricky enough as it is and I think all of us at some point have crashed, spun and generally had an interesting time of it.

I am enjoying driving these cars, just need more spare time! lol :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Watkins Glen Demo lap | Mazda 787B

Hard tires
    Time set with 93 liters
    90 kilo's ballast

The setup is made for corner exit, so make sure you have your car balanced in the brakingzone for the correct line out.

Download setup Mazda 787B: http://www.mediafire.com/file/egxjwdc7zyscadb/Mazda_787B_1%2C44%2C600_100-34%2C3.ini/file

Also make sure to read this post from Rob Milliken about the wheel rotation tweak to get more stability in your car:

"Congrats to the podium !! well done JVDG ! ( you will be at max weight soon lol :D)
    What a difference a few adjustments made for me !
    I was seriously struggling with this car & some of the other AC mods as well , This frustrated the crap out of me ..lol I love the Group C mod in rf2 & have good results with so I went on a mission to see if I could do something that made the AC car feel as good as the rf2 ones do .
    I suffered from a mushy under steer effect that had me tossing the car all over the place making corrections , Then I remembered what one of the aliens told me to do for AC (in general) to get a better feel for the cars with my G27 .. I Use 900* rotation in the g27 profiler for all my sim's .. & he suggested to keep 900 in the Logitech profiler but turn the "in game" steer lock down to like 540 or somewhere close to that .. BAM the car instantly came alive for me , the mushy under steer was gone , the car felt tighter & more solid , I can now feel the weight transfers & attack the apex's with some confidence !! I also turned the slider to reduce spikes up to 15-20 ,Kept the ffb gain at 100 & in-game /car setting ffb to 80 .. I love the car now ! I still get some spikes but if I try to tune them out I loose to much road feel in the wheel & then you get that numb feeling in the center down the straits so I'm leaving it with some small spikes ..
    I did my best race so far even after taking damage lap 1 from cold breaks loosing the rear when the cars in front went heavy on the breaks at the first hair pin at speed in sector 1 .. I had to slam the breaks to not hit the cars in front & lost the rear putting the car into the fence ..lol
    Had a lot of challenges trying to hit my marks w/o to many mishaps for the 60 min .. & found myself in 5th for a few laps until Larry finally caught up to me in his Porsche putting the pressure on ! I knew I could not hold him off for long & after 3 or so laps he made his move into T1 ! Very happy to have finished the race w/o any more offs & get a 6th place finish out of it :)
    Looking forward to the next one !!"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

10. John vd Geest

LOL I love your skin and used it for the demo. Looks pretty hahaha

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

:mad: YOU CAN NOT DO THAT JOHN. FORBIDDEN. :mad:
    Where am I going to get my Porsche setups from now?
    :D

12. John vd Geest

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Just in case you do not know for the G27 wheel there is the LUT generateur to make it more linear
    If you do not use LUT, you could/should adjust the "minimum force" in the controls.

14. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver Donator

I am still a bit confused because of that server car thing. I joined the server and got a black/yellow liveried car with 60 kg weight penalty. Seems not right to me somehow. Is that a problem I can solve or a server side problem?

15. John vd Geest

Rob Milliken is our server setup guy. He can help you with that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Rob Milliken

You should be good to go w/o the weight penalty now ! you were not assigned to a car & your now in the Porsche SRO_02_racing_17

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sean Devlin

Sean Devlin Pro Driver

Sorry Gentlemen I'm going to have to miss this race. See you all at the next round.

18. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

dammit John. Was so ready to humiliate your Porche....

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. John vd Geest

Now you can humiliate me driving the Mazda :D

20. John vd Geest

Watch the livestream here, 20.15 BST;