rFactor 2 Round 6 Bikernieki High Speed Ring - Wed Oct 19, 2022

Discussion in 'Austin Mini Cooper S MK1 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 12, 2022.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Mini Cooper kop.png

ROUND 6 BIKERNIEKI HIGH-SPEED RING

CIRCUIT OVERVIEW
    Biķernieki is Latvia's only permanent motor racing circuit has been undergoing a revival in recent years, with track improvements and safety upgrades brought in part by the advent of its hosting of World Rallycross.
    Flourishing once again as a hub of regional racing, the Biķernieki complex appears to have a bright future once more.
    Motorsports are also not the only competitive actions hosted by Biķernieki. Year round runners, cyclists and rollerbladers enjoy the course, while in winter, the Biķernieki track becomes a cross-country skiing complex.

CIRCUIT HISTORY
    The idea of first creating a track on the outskirts of the Latvian capital Rīga was first suggested in the 1950s. A temporary course around Meza Park was being used into the mid-'60s but even as this was in operation, the local car enthusiasts were planning a replacement. With the support of the Republican Federation of motorsport, between 1958 and 1961, motorcycle racers Eduard Kiope and Kārlis Ošiņš began a tour of other facilities across the Soviet Union to get a measure of what would be required to create a good circuit.

Returning to Rīga, they selected a site within Biķernieki forest on the outskirts of the city, partly due its proximity to the large population and partly for the role the surrounding forest would have in reducing noise nuisance. It was also felt that sections between the trees would help to reduce crosswinds which were dangerous for motorcycle racers.

A major motorsport complex is planned
    In 1962, the track designers began their work under the direction of chief engineer Peteris Dzenis and with the support of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of the Latvian SSR. It was decided that the circuit would actually comprise two distinct layouts, with shared pit and paddock facilities. The 'Ring of Skill' (Meistarības Aplis in Latvian) would primarily be aimed at motorcycle racing, while the 'Speed Ring' (Ātruma Aplis) would be more suitable for car racing. The two elements could be joined together to create a larger 'Combined Ring' (Lielais Apvienotais Aplis), with corners of varying radiuses, without long straights but with some elevation changes which made the most of the topography of the forest. A fourth, short course, referred to as the Oval course (Ovāls) was also possible.

Design work was completed in January 1965 and the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of the Republic formed a committee for the construction of the complex Biķernieki. In reality, much of the work was actually performed by volunteer enthusiasts, including drivers, members of the Central Motor Club and students of the Rīga Polytechnic Institute.

There were major difficulties to overcome. Considerable logging was required through the forest to create the path for the two circuits, while the area of the pits, paddock and associated kart circuit proved to be exceptionally marshy, thanks to a number of underground springs. Complete draining was required, with excavations down to seven metres then filled with huge amounts of sand. Nevertheless by the autumn of 1965 work to lay the asphalt on the 'Ring of Skill' began, with the final work to make it suitable for racing being completed in June 1966.

Seat TCR Cupra 2018 from 9 to 2 place in Bikernieki circuit

• Like Like x 1
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

2. Bikernieki Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 7
    4) This race has 100% damage
    5) There is no mandatory pitstop
    6) This event has a standing start

3. You can find the password for the race server on the Bikernieki event page.

4. You can find the server by first typing sro

5. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

6. No-shows (keeping the entry list real)

If a driver does not show without unregistering for that event or letting us know that he can't make it on the event forum, he will be removed from the series.
    If he is no longer interested in the series, it's fine like it is.
    If he forgot about the event, he can sign up for the series again.

(You don't have to unregister for the whole series. You can unregister only for the event you can't do.)

7. Please use the same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

8. Last but not least ... SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

4. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sorry guys no broadcast today & possibly next week as well, Duty calls as I have training at work next 2 weeks, and it's on Wednesdays :( so I need to go in 2 hrs early o_O...
    I might make it next week depending on how the training goes but I will for sure be back for round 8!
    Have fun in the forest!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Had a nose bleed being so far up the field.
    I came out of T1, I struggled every lap to judge running too wide or just getting on the power in general. It felt like I needed to nearly come to a stop to get through. I followed the racing line into turn 2 but I think I misjudged how much of an overlap I had with @Rob Swindells and I got spun around and rolled it. Shame as I was proud of myself for holding my own for many laps. Will check the server replay later but it seemed this way from my cockpit. Car heavily damaged and limped home.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rob Swindells

Rob Swindells Pro Driver

A shame about the coming together, your defensive driving was brilliant. It's just a racing incident imo, but easy for me to say as I came off best! Quite a scrappy race for me, hit Chris when he spun in front of me, and swapped paint with Neil a couple of times during our scrap for 2nd. Kiril cleared off for a well deserved victory.

Looking forward to next week at Monaco '66 with excitement and trepidation :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neil Wood

Thank you... I tried my best to figure out my lines. These FWD cars are totally out of my comfort zone! Corner exits kill me!

Stream VOD
    There might be swearing... look at the heart rate!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Yeah, cold rears were my undoing! I was looking forward to a scrap with you and Kiril as I felt I had good race pace. The incident damaged the suspension which, once I’d recovered from it, caused an oversteer problem, which launched me over a kerb 2 corners later, rolling me again! I struggled with the handling from then on whilst the tyres recovered, but didn’t get any consistent, predictable handling until about lap 13 where my pace picked up, but I was a long way back. A couple of offs from Neil & Ed helped me recover to 6th.
    Not a disastrous race in terms of the overall championship standings……there’s still more races left than we’ve had! So plenty to look forward to.
    Grats to @Kiril Kirilov, @Rob Swindells & @Flaviu Bozga for the podiums.
    These are great cars to drive, and it’s shaping up to be a great championship.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. John vd Geest

Euh ... looking forward to the Bikernieki stream !!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kiril Kirilov

Kiril Kirilov Pro Driver Donator

Well, this race I was lucky and not unlucky like the last one. Although my driving wasn't good. Been on the meadow several times and crashed 10 minutes before the end. Scrappy race with a happy ending. At least my qualifying lap was good this time. I hope this stuttering was track specific and not rFactor/server issue. Very good run by @Neil Wood until he misjudged the distance to @Rob Swindells. Congrats to the podium finishers. I hope to see you all in Monaco.;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Neil Wood

No server replay from this race?