rFactor 2 Round 6 Daytona Road Course

Discussion in 'Studio 397 LMP2 & GT3 Endurance Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 3, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Daytona Road Course

The 3.81-mile (6.13 km) road course was built in 1959 and first hosted a three-hour sports car race called the Daytona Continental in 1962.[12] The race length became 2,000 km (1,200 mi) in 1964,[7] and in 1966 was extended to a 24-hour endurance race known as the Rolex 24 at Daytona. It was shortened again to six hours in 1972 and the 1974 rendition of the race was cancelled entirely.

In 1973, a sharp chicane was added at the end of the backstretch, approaching oval turn three.

In 1984[13] and 1985, the layout was modified, re-profiling turns 1 and 2, and moving what is now turn 3 closer to its adjacent turns. In addition, the chicane on the backstretch was modified. A new entry leg was constructed approximately 400 feet (120 m) earlier, resulting in a longer, three-legged, "bus stop" shape. Cars would now enter in the first leg, bypass the second leg, and exit out of the existing third leg. Passing would now be possible inside the longer chicane. The construction resulted in a final length of 3.56 miles (5.73 km) for the complete road course.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Porsche setup. Work in Process still. Stable. Play around hardening - softening equally ( front and rear suspension + arb ) what works for you.
    Havent tested low fuel. Calculate fuel. Little slip of rears on exit to long straight is 2 - 5 tenths. Lower wing doable? Need to harden front then?

and so on ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Where will be the starting point at the end of rolling start ? That's quite a long corner exiting Bus Stop.

4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I still dont know where the hell is pit entry

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I allways rush that big space to the left and search the entrance :D
    But there actually a lane to follow :eek:

7. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Hello guys. Will their be a server put up for this race?:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  8. Joey Smith

Joey Smith Pro Driver

I'm going to bow out. Something has come up and I cannot make it.

9. Radek Sirc

Radek Sirc Pro Driver

I have the same question as Eric. Where will be the point of Green Flag? The exit from the last curve is really vague...

10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Don’t think it’s too late around the lap but how about at the start of the grass section on the main straight? Also serves the purpose of making sure our speeds are not so high into turn one.

Otherwise I’m not sure if there are a set of lights of markings coming out of the final turn? We could use those?

11. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

Just let it rip, if you go from the apex, you'll be at race pace and the field will be evenly distributed. If you wait you will have late chargers diving the inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Pro Driver

T12 is the final turn, the "kink" at the S/F line is not considered a turn as far as I can tell.

So then, entrance of T12, one can accelerate but not overtake the car(s) ahead.
    Exit of T12, it's on.

That's the way it reads in series rules...and, unless told differently, that's what I'll be doing.

In the past, when doing single file starts here, I've generally seen exit of bus stop chicane being the point at which race starts.
    Seems much more defined, and less worry about drivers jumping the actual start (overtaking before T12 exit)....but, makes no difference to me personally.
    It's a 90 min race...a second or two gained or lost at the start is not going to matter for those that finish up front. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Radek Sirc

Radek Sirc Pro Driver

Sorry, but I am not able to identify so accurate, where is the entrance, apex or exit of T12. For me it is not a "turn" in the true sense of this word, it is more something what I would call tilt track, very slightly curved. In my opinion the exit of chicane is the best choice for starting the race. But admins have to decide how it will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sim Racing Online

Sim Racing Online Administrator Staff Member Donator

@Joey Smith If you cannot race then please unregister from the event. Thanks.

15. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Ok, well this is only an idea. There are two Sonoco signs. One just after the exit of the bus stop and also another one just after you start to join the start/finish straight.

We could use either one of those as an acceleration point if you guys want to. The first as Jason mentions is the entrance into turn 12.

Anyway, up to the admins to confirm. :)

16. Eric Cline

Eric Cline Pro Driver

good race guys had fun. messed up my pit stop and lost a ton of time then spun in turn two not to far after but held on to 4th.cant wait for next series. congrats to winner he lapped the entire field.lol nice job

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  17. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Hey all

thanks for great races.
    next season im taking an LMP to i can just drive into the "already committed into the turn" GT cars .

Thank you Tony T for the Porsche setup.
    i didnt have time to practice as i had a 24hr race
    so i borrowed your setup WIP and done some minor changes.
    allowed me to get into the 1;48"s
    Many thanks

see you all in season 3
    im hoping schedule will be better so ill have practice time.

see you soon.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

That was a tough race! I think everything happened to me in that one, lol

I'd done about 2 hours a night getting ready for this one and working on a setup that didn't heat up the tyres too much.

Qualifying went ok, I did a 32.2 in a practice session but that was with a nice slipstream from another car, I got near that in qualifying but couldn't slot into a good place where I could get a nice top speed. No problem, third was still good. In race trim I could do low 34's so happy with that.

Start was ok, car in 4th had a good run on me so I decided to let him go, I then felt a thump in the back and I went round at turn one, then dropped to the back of the lmp field.

Just concentrated on fighting back and then coming through turn one again I was right up behind another car, he braked to avoid Paulo I think but I was so close behind I didn't get chance to react and total chaos happened.

The car was about 30% damaged but I was still able to lap in the 35's so decided not to pit and just do the best i could.

Stop went fine, no issues. Elected not to repair damage as it would have taken too long. Probably over a minute.

Came out behind Eric I think and was happy to just stay in 5th, that was enough to seal the title. I was slowly closing in on him but no problems as I didn't want to pass him.

He then spun at a corner on the infield, and I hit the brakes so hard I broke my pedal mount. So I couldn't move the car because my foot wouldn't reach the throttle pedal! lol

So I reached down, moved the pedals so I could get back to the pits and got some fuel and new tyres and tightened up the bolts holding the pedals in place with my fingers.

I somehow made it to the end, I was braking with my left foot and holding my right foot on the pedal box to stop it moving.

Toughest 20 minutes of sim racing I've ever done!

So mixed feelings, I've got the title (I think) but one of the messiest races for me ever....

.....I'm going to lie down in a dark room now... :)

Well done to the winners. A great season, different winner for every race in LMP2 and good action for all the races.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dmitri Buksha

Dmitri Buksha Pro Driver

Registered to race in this championship but could make it in time for the start on multiple occasions)
    Glad i finally made it. Though there wasn't much of a fight tonight. Still had my fun. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Radek Sirc

Radek Sirc Pro Driver

Guys, thanks for this championship, it´s better to say for all three races to which I have joined. It was very pleasant experience for me and also for all my Czech colleagues, which took part at these races. I know it was a little bit Czech invasion :) but I hope it was not big problem for you. I think it´s very friendly atmosphere on your server and on the forum as well. Certainly it´s merit of John vd Geest, who leads whole league by this way. Thanks to all once again.

P.S. Congratulations for today´s winners of both categories, especially for Dmitry Buksha, he was higher level than the rest of pole, good job!

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 2
    • Like Like x 1