Round 6 Suzuka - Sun Mar 29, 2020

Discussion in 'F1 1991 - Full Race Distance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 22, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

1991 Japanese Grand Prix

The 1991 Japanese Grand Prix (formally the XVII Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held at Suzuka on 20 October 1991. It was the fifteenth round of the 1991 Formula One season. The 53-lap race was won by McLaren driver Gerhard Berger after he started from pole position. His teammate Ayrton Senna finished second and Riccardo Patrese was third for the Williams team.

Formula One moved to Japan with the fight for the title still open; this was the fifth year in a row that the title would be decided at the Suzuka circuit. The organizers were hoping that the events of 1990 would not repeat themselves. Both championship contenders Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell knew exactly what they needed to do, Mansell had to win with help and Senna needed to beat Mansell. There were several changes to the driver lineup, the most notable being at Leyton House where Ivan Capelli had been replaced by young Austrian Karl Wendlinger. Elsewhere AGS had run out of money and did not make the voyage to Japan, while fellow stragglers Coloni had hired local driver Naoki Hattori, but he failed to pre-qualify. Johnny Herbert was back behind the wheel of the Lotus after having missed a few races in the second half of the season due to Japanese Formula 3000 commitments.

Qualifying saw many large accidents, including young sensation Michael Schumacher and Ferrari driver Jean Alesi. The biggest of these accidents was the one that befell Éric Bernard who broke his ankle and would not take any further part in the race. At the end of the qualifying sessions it was a McLaren front row with Gerhard Berger ahead of Ayrton Senna. Mansell was third followed by the unhappy Alain Prost, Riccardo Patrese, Jean Alesi, Pierluigi Martini, Gianni Morbidelli, Michael Schumacher, and Nelson Piquet. Senna was right where he wanted to be, while Mansell knew he had his work cut out for him.

At the start of the race Berger got away well and Senna blocked Mansell the way that Mansell had done to him in Portugal. Elsewhere Jean Alesi's day ended on the first lap in a cloud of smoke, his Ferrari engine having blown. At the end of lap 1 the order was Berger, Senna, Mansell, Patrese, and Prost. There was a huge accident on lap two when Andrea de Cesaris spun his Jordan while leading other cars, and the resulting accident took Wendlinger, Pirro, and Lehto with him. At the front Berger pulled off into the lead while Mansell hounded Senna. It all ended on lap 10 when Mansell made a mistake on the first corner and spun off. His Williams was stuck in the gravel and Mansell was out of championship contention.

With the news of Mansell's retirement, Senna and Berger both went off into the distance, with Berger waving his recrowned world champion teammate through. The two ran in formation for the rest of the race with Senna letting Berger through on the last lap to win his first race for McLaren.

Patrese finished third followed by Prost, Martin Brundle scoring the last points in the history of the Brabham team, and Stefano Modena in the Tyrrell. Senna had won his third world championship.

There is an fantastic video on YouTube called: F1 Grand Prix 1991 Suzuka - Onboard Cameras HD.
    I can't upload it here because it's blocked on other sites.

F1 Japan Ayrton Senna Pole Lap

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. John vd Geest

3. John vd Geest

Server is up.

Did a few laps. What a lovely circuit this is for these cars :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  4. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

I can't do the last one, have fun. Thanks for the series John :)

5. John vd Geest

That's a shame. But thanks for supporting the series Dino !

6. John vd Geest

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Marco Vismara

Marco Vismara Pro Driver

UNSSAENT

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Sorry to Mariusz Lebioda for crashing him. That was my fault. I did not see you were on my left side when I moved over.

9. Riccardo Gengotti

Riccardo Gengotti Pro Driver

broken engine, too bad I was fine here .....

10. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

Dont...touch...Suzuka, its mine!

I did donate to SRO so see what happened, got my Mojo back!!!:p

• Like Like x 1
  11. John vd Geest

You won?

12. Toni Talvitie

ofc after sacrificing to raceGod :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

Congratulations Mr. Toni

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

race started 19:30 GMT? I barely made ito_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

Gents, now that's over, and I had a series of underwhelming performances, please help me.
    During the series, I struggled a lot on my full tank pace, being 3-4 secs off the leader's pace, and the car terribly understeering, as the time passes, I can even match leader's pace. To be honest, I even did a couple of 41's today lol.

How were you mitigating this kind of behavior? I'm tired of being one of the slowest on track for the first 15 laps.

16. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

Me too. I was caught completely off guard today.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. John vd Geest

These cars are very sensitive to setups. I got a few setups from Toni Talvitie that made all the difference. He uses Motec and is quite good at making setups (and he's bloody fast :)).
    As I make my setups by "feeling", I missed the mark quite a few times. It's in the details.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks to @John vd Geest for setting up this series, I only managed a few races due to work but great fun nonetheless.

Not 100% sure if it makes any difference or not but ASR have been making physics changes to these cars and only some of them are done at the moment. Will be interesting to see what the Ferrari is like after it has it's physics update too.

Anyway, I did ok, the qualifying pace was mighty. Really don't know how some of you do those times. Amazing.

Went ok in the race (got bogged down at the start though), lap times of about 39's or 40's with the odd 38. So not terrible. Had a few battles during the race as well.

Then I hit a wall and bent the steering. Tried to carry on but the car wanted to turn more left than right so had to stop. Sorry.

Well done to all the finishers, great job :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. John vd Geest

My pleasure :)

20. Toni Talvitie

Well my Motec use is mostly checking rideheights, suspension travel and tyres and rest of the time by feel and testing setup changes