Steering wheel recommendations

Discussion in 'Chat About Anything In Here' started by John Mentakis, Jul 28, 2018.

1. John Mentakis

John Mentakis Pro Driver

Hello guys. It's been a while since my last login to this community which i honesty find super friendly and unique for the people that share love with simulation racing. Im playing project cars 2 and i had bought back then a cheap steering wheel and i can defently tell you it is always a waste of money and sooner or later you will realize that even a few milliseconds will make the deference. My petals had late responce and problems like brakes (tested on different pc and things like that) didn't work all the time. I was frustrated and gaved up the online racing because it was worthless trying to become better and enjoy racing. Now it's the time for me to buy a better steering wheel and get back to online racing and of course back to this lovely community. So i would really appreciate a few recommendations for a steering wheel.
    Thank you in advance and i hope to see you online soon.
    Kind Regards
    John

2. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Welcome back John.

I use the Thrustmaster T500RS they are still expensive but if you can find the funds to buy one you will not be disappointed.

3. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Hello John,
    Am in the process of updating my materiel myself. I currently have a G27 LOGITECH. After searching on the internet and asking fellow racers I have come up with the following for reasonable materiel at a reasonable cost. Reasonable of course is relative to each person.
    Pedals - CSL ELITE Pedals LC. They say pedals are more important than the wheel. I have recently changed from my G27 pedals to the ELITE with load cell and I have to agree.
    Wheel - Fanatec CSL ELITE as 1st choice followed closely by the Thrustmaster TS-PC (newer than the T500 and apparently better)

If the above is too expensive probably the LOGITECH G920.

There are lots of reviews and comparisons on the net if you need more information.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

To be honest, I'm using a Logitech G29. For an "amateur" like me that is good enough (for now). If you live in England these or the G290 (basicly the same wheel) can be bought at Curry's for 179£ including the shifter. Its not always on the site for this price, but they do regular deals.
    If price is not an option, go for a direct drive system. You will have to fork out a good 1200£ for a decent system, but its worth it.

But Nigel's and Larry's suggestions are good too.

5. Nigel Middleton

Roy you are taking the Michael ( taking the the p==s) amateur you are one of SRO's aliens :D

6. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

Well, as you know I do races at other leagues to, and at one of those I'm midfield at best. So if I'm an alien, what are those guys :eek::D
    Again, I rate myself as "slightly above average".

But I have to say that I'm thinking of going direct drive for my next wheel/pedal combo. But regretfully life has other priorities right now.

7. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I've had G25, Fanatec GT3RS and now using a TS T300 wheels with Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals and I prefer the feel and FFB on the TS T300 over the previous two wheels, but of course it's a personal preference as ever.
    I also chose the cheaper T300 over the T500, because it is does everything the T500 does, has all the same features including changeable wheel rims, but it has the gear paddles on the wheel not the base unit. When you are twisting and turning the wheel I find it better to have the paddles under my hands all the time.

8. Nigel Middleton

I have the Ferrari Alcantara wheel great wheel just need to get quicker with it :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. John Mentakis

John Mentakis Pro Driver

Thank you so much guys I'll think about all your suggestions and I'll choose something. :)