rFactor 2 Test Events

Discussion in 'Special Event Indy 125 2021 Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

We will be running three 50 lap test events prior to the race, to give everyone the chance to get into the Oval racing groove :)

The test dates/times are:
    Saturday 24th Apr 17:00 GMT
    Friday 30th Apr 17:00 GMT
    Sunday 9th May 16:00 GMT

The server will be configured the same as it will be for the race with Tyre Wear: Normal and Fuel Useage: x2. Private Qualifying will be used, consisting of 4 timed laps, 6 laps in total to include an out-lap and and in-lap. Between the three tests the server will be running for online practice at anytime.

2. Ken Jagger

Make sure you download and install both car & skin packs.

Indy 125 2021 b.jpg

3. Ken Jagger

TIP
    I've run cars from both skinpack options back to back and any car in the Indycar 2014 v1.65 pack does not have adjustable fuel mixture, unlike in the default S397 Indycar. However my testing showed that the additional skinpack cars are a few tenth's quicker per lap compared to the defaults even without mixture adjustment.
    My recommendation then is to only use a car from the skinpack.

4. Ken Jagger

Information from last years testing and race.

1. If you collect a penalty for anything and the track is Yellow and the sim instructs you to enter the pits, then even if you are not on the lead lap you must comply. It's likely that the penalty will not be cleared and you will still need to take it again, until it clears. This is caused by rF2 not being able to handle the situation of penalties under yellows correctly. If you get bitten by this then it's tough luck.
    2. Passing either side of cars ahead of you before the start finish line on a restart after a Yellow will give you a penalty.

5. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Ken, are these situations in the ‘indy rfm’ or did you edit the rfm yourself?
    I wish i could remember how I used to set indy up at r2p, that was a long time ago. & IDK If there even is a fix for the penalty under yellow. Have you tried the nascar rfm ? Might be worth a look. & we can still edit it I remember something about the trigger for ‘pits open to lead lap cars only’ vrs pits open for all .. can’t remember lol . I do remember using the ‘ cars may pass on the right before the line’ trigger in the rfm as at the time that was the actual rule.. ... & blocking the hi line on restarts was common lol :D
    Either way this will be a blast !

6. Ken Jagger

We'll be using a modified indycar.rfm file like last year. There has never been a fix for the problem I've detailed. The .rfm will be set for no passing before the line on a restart, again the same setting we used last year.

7. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

These test events, they will not be listed in the calendar and time is start of qualy?

Regarding, "pass-on-right-don't-get-penalty" as Rob mention, I have notice that before but not sure if was offline or at an actual SRO event.
    Since the test events are "test events", assume that provoke some of the behavior/issues during the race is the purpose more than the race/result itself.

Maybe use an higher tyre/fuel wear like x2/x4 to be more like that actual event and it will then trigger more stops.

Will the lucky dog be active or is that not for these cars (don't now that detailed about these series irl)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rob Milliken

I wonder if this might be helpful in clearing wrongful penalties.
    It says it will allow any & all penalties to be served with one-stop .. you will still get a penalty but wont have to do 2 stops to clear.
    // Whether penalties add to each other, essentially meaning they can all be served at once; default=0, possible
    // values 0 or 1.
    AdditivePenalties = 1

It might help morale a bit lol ..

9. Ken Jagger

I'm planning on trying a few other parameter changes beyond what we used last year, which is primarily what the tests are about, along with giving guys a refresher or introduction to oval racing.
    The new version of the track we will be using also has a different pit lane entry point. It is now 100' before the pitlane wall starts, whereas before, the older track had it 300' beyond the start of the wall. This could have a difference with one of the issues we had before with passing pit bound cars under FCY before they crossed the pit entry line.

10. Ken Jagger

I'm aware of that Rob, along with all the other parameters, but for the initial test it will be default.

11. Rob Milliken

Ok ken , I'm just thinking out loud here :D
    Will pits be open to lead lap cars only under yellows for the first caution lap? & I can't remember if you select what type of penalty you will get but it should be a "End of the Longest line" penalty. an example would be, If your part of the yellow and need repair but are a lap down and can't go around again with a flat, etc. you can come in to repair but the penalty is you must go to the end of the line. so not a stop & go or drive threw ..

12. Ken Jagger

Yes
    The ISI indycar.rfm default is D/T

13. Ken Jagger

A couple of things we will be trying out in the 1st test are single file restarts and an adjustment to the setting which decides the threshold variable for a FCY to be activated when a car simply spins and continues.
    The single file restart is to see if it improves the issues we've had with the sim telling you who you should be following and then telling you something different.
    The FCY amendment is to see if it reduces the number of FCY that are created by the Sim.

14. Ken Jagger

That's correct.
    There are options that can be changed, but as already stated we will be using "no passing before the line"
    Yes Jens that's one of the reasons but also to test some other amended settings and to see if it uncovers anything else unexpected before the race proper. Also of course it's to provide the opportunity to practice running on track with other members.
    No Lucky Dog for this race or tests.

15. Stephen Wenham

Stephen Wenham Pro Driver

Hi Ken, do I need to register anywhere for the test race on Sunday?

16. Ken Jagger

No registration need for the test events Stephen. Just look for the SRO Indy 125 server and join with the default pwd. :) These tests are more about checking out some small server config changes, now completed in my mind, and getting some high-speed oval running in with a few other cars. The draft effect is something that needs to be learnt before the race.

17. Stephen Wenham

I did a few laps practice, the front right tyre is geting up to 150 degrees. What temp are others running? Any suggestions on setups. I am running default at the moment and dont really know what area to start adjusting

18. Ken Jagger

Not that hot for me. As a start set the outside wheels to negative camber and the inside wheels to high positive camber. I can't remember what the defaults set these to.

If you are attending the test today we can chat further, preferably either on TS or Discord voice to make it easier. :)

19. Ken Jagger

Stephen sorry we didn't get to voice chat today. My schedule was thrown a kilter due to my rF2 migration issues. Regarding your comment about being down on power, there are two car mods being used for this race.
    1. Indycar
    2. Indycar 2014

Both cars are capable of similar lap times but mod #1 uses a variable mixture control with settings of 1-8 where 1 is low and 8 is high, with 8 giving more power. This setting should be used for the race, but under Yellow for example you can drop to 3-4 which will save a little fuel over the Yellow period. To use this, in controller settings you need to set mixture control up & down to two keys or buttons.
    Mod #2 doesn't have a mixture control, so need to have keys/buttons configured to use it.

The same setup configurations seem to work ok on both cars, so no advantages there to worry about.

20. Stephen Wenham

i seemed to be way down on power. During the practice session i was 10 secs a lap slower. Then as we crossed the start line to start the race everyone just accelerated off into the distance! this is only my second oval race but i am not that slow lol

I will try mapping the fuel mixture settings to see if that fixes it