What simracing rig do you use?

Discussion in 'Chat About Anything In Here' started by Philipp Pichler, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver Donator

As the title suggest I´m curious about your simracing rig.

After my move I had some problems to fit my steering wheel on my desk, because the desk edge is too wide. Therefore I had to think about an "easy" solution and came up with the idea of a narrower plank and screw clamps. That seems to work.

[​IMG]

Because of I wonder if I´m the only one which such ideas/problems. Or do you use majoritarian a "play seat" with three monitors (probably even VR)?
    Apart from that just a better desk is also an option ;)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

I use a Sim-Lab GT1, G29 Wheel and a 24' single screen.
    It seems to get me through most of the races allright

But I want to try VR to see if it improves my driving. A direct drive wheel is in the planning too

3. Philipp Pichler

That Sim-Lab GT1 looks interesting, seems that the seat is not included in that package. Did you buy the seat separate?
    I never tried VR but I fear that feeling of the VR could make me feel sick. But I agree trying it would be interesting.
    And reagrding to the high-end wheels, well looking at all that is probably like visiting candy land but then you look a the prices ;)

4. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

I already had a racing/bucket seat so I didn't have to buy a new one.

And the pricing of those direct drive wheels is a bit on the high side yes. If they were cheaper I would have had one by now ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I have a similar setup to you Philipp, although without the additional clamped plank ;)
    Fairly standard office desk, GT Omega Pro chair, TS T300RS base + Ferrari wheel, Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals, 32" Viewsonic 2K monitor and that's about it :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

I built a custom plywood chassis and mounted a G27 with Clubsport v2 pedals. I also use a custom-made sequential shifter. On my dash is a home made motec type display that I wrote the software for. The dashboard also includes 20 buttons and switches that are wired to a keyboard controller. And I use a seat from a 1987 Jeep Cherokee. Nice and comfy for those long endurance races. Link below is a 3 minute low quality video I made last year. Currently working on a new 7 inch dash display. The one in this video is the 3.5 inch and I have to "page" through the data, which I don't like to do. The display is driven by an Arduino microcontroller and I am moving to the Teensy 3.6 for my new project.

http://www.baldwincity.net/sim/sim_project.mp4

• Like Like x 7
  7. Philipp Pichler

A chair with wheels? I tried to race with a standard office chair. But I had a problem with that because as soon as I touched the brake pedal, the chair was moving backwards. Do you have or had that problem, too?

Sounds impressive!
    Probably nobody can beat that or has to be atleast a "home constructor" like you. Except for somebody who build a pneumatic motion simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ken Jagger

It's got locking casters and sits on deep carpets. It doesn't go ANYWHERE! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

4play rig (Texas company)
    Fanatec 2.5 and 3.0 pedals

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

Here's mine:
    3x 2015 Vizio E series 42" tvs (last of the "dumb" tvs from Vizio, no stupid image "enhancement" software to add lag).
    Some EXTREMELY fancy Ikea coffee tables
    Original Playseat v1.0, mounted on some plywood, that is then mounted on 8 plastic office chair wheels.

[​IMG] https://i.postimg.cc/G3gmnFxX/Racing_Rig_zpsb56729b7.jpg

Update Mar 2019 to replace the potato phone picture:

IMG_20181030_165808.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

No one has reported they can't use them or see them.

The members who can't use the thumbs up or like buttons let me know.

12. Ricardo Gomes

Ricardo Gomes Pro Driver

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

#wheelie Bars

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Roel Postma

Roel Postma Pro Driver

[​IMG]

Inspired by the SimLab P1 and GT1 frames, self designed, material from Motedis.
    Triple screen Benq GW2760S 27 inch on free standing monitor stand
    Scheel custom car seat
    Thrustmaster RS 500 wheel and pedals
    Custom homemade buttonbox inspired by Armstudio (youtube)
    JBL SCS260 speakers and 150 watt Subwoofer
    Marantz amplifier

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Philipp Pichler

:D I think you won it Scott. Most creative I have seen so far.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ken Jagger

I'm surprised his rig is not bolted onto a Surfboard :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Norman Bruce

Norman Bruce Pro Driver

I've got a pretty basic set up, wheel stand ( which is handy as when your not racing you can move it aside ) G27, 24 inch single monitor.
    I'm thinking of getting VR, I have a GTX 970 which would be minimum spec for VR I think, prices of VR are dropping.
    Have any of you seen or tried this ?
    https://alvinnieves.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/building-my-rig-a-simul8r-design-to-the-world/

Edit: Just did a quick price check on the pipes and fittings and it came to £95.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Dario Walker

Dario Walker Pro Driver

I personally wouldn't do VR with anything less than a GTX 1070 GPU Norman, I have read a lot of people not getting the best experience from their VR spectacles in simracing with anything less. Even my 980ti which is a 1440p card doesn't do VR very well and is limited to 45fps in games like pCARS2 in VR mode rather than the 90fps which is more preferable for simracing.

As to not venture too far off topic from the OP... I'm running a Simlabs GT1 cockpit, DSD Race King LED button box, Huesinkveld handbrake, Fanatec v2.5 base with Formula carbon rim and BMW touring car rim along with Fanatec V3 inverted pedals. I have a Thrustmaster TH8A for SQ and H pattern shifting also but not attached just now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

Some very nice sim rigs here. I don't have any photo, but:
    T500RS with T3PA Pro inverted, Ferrari F458 and F1 wheel, Playseat Challenge, 3x24" Benq GL2450, this on a very regular desk.
    and a Kenwood ampli-tuner + double deck + cd player ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ricardo Gomes

Ricardo Gomes Pro Driver

well done! fell free to share the blueprints dor the design :)
    i wouldn't mind taking a look :)

• Like Like x 1