When did GPUs get so fracking expensive

Discussion in 'Chat About Anything In Here' started by Jerry Chen, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

Decided it's time to retire the Strix GTX970.
    5 years is an eternity in GPU speak. So I did a thing tonight ... frackin hell. I remember when $350 was an obscene amount to pay for a gpu. Makes the 970 seem like a bargain in comparison.

I just paid state of Kalifornia my annual registration fee for my car yesterday ... $612.
    I thought I was getting robbed at gun point there ... seems pretty absurd that a 12 inch piece of metal and plastic used to draw cartoon cars on my tv costs almost as much as registering my 3000lb automobile with governor Newsom ... :eek: Not sure which one I should be more fracking angry about LOL

Newegg order.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

rip 970!!!

3. Bitcoin mining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

RtX here with tax is around $1000cdn w/tx, crazy. I bought a new card and only able to afford a GtX1050 that was still over $300cdn w/tx.
    It is a disgusting rip off for any computer parts that cost less then $20 to make.

5. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Normally you pay in the States less in $ than we do here in Europe in € for computer stuff.
    On the other hand annual car registration fees do not exist here in France, in other words zero. $612 is a heck of a lot of money to pay for nothing!

6. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

This be my framerates now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't even hit 30% GPU utilization yet, still on High for all in game settings.
    Gonna test Sebring in the rain ... with 30 cars and max settings. Lets see if this baby can crank some watts and burn some coal ...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

@Jerry Chen Totally agree with computers parts prices. And now imagine you live in Eastern Europe and those 600$ (Euro) it is the monthly income for a good paid job :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: