Automobilista 2 AMS2 Test Series

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2' started by Rob Milliken, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Drivers ! In an effort to get this sim up & going here at SRO I plan to have a 6 event test series over the next 12 weeks . Race day will be Fridays starting Feb 5th in the 20:00 GMT time slot & every other Friday after ..

My plan is to have 6 separate test events using a different mod each time .. This is where you as the SRO community can pitch in to determine what mods we should be testing & how long the races should be .
    We have a 1 hour slot from 20:00 GMT to 21:00 GMT (we can extend if necessary but this is already reserved)
    30 min races for testing is my first thought we could also have 2 X 20 min races as long as the result software can handle it .. These races will have all points awarded for testing the results but will not effect rank or determine a champion at the end , well not an official one anyway lol . its a test series .. !

I have a few ideas in mind already but would like to use input from all of us before I officially set the events up in the data base !

Please use this thread to submit your ideas ! we have about 2 weeks !

I look forward to your responses :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Too bad, every other Friday would have been good for me. Hope the sim can get going at some point.

3. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Hi Rob,
    Great idea.
    I'd suggest the following cars and tracks for consideration:
    CARS:
    1) The MetalMoro MRX Duratec Turbo P2 (perhaps together with its in-class competitor Sigma P1)
    upload_2021-1-26_9-14-46.png

2) The Formula Vee
    upload_2021-1-26_9-18-21.png

3) The GT1s
    upload_2021-1-26_9-19-57.png

4) The Super V8
    upload_2021-1-26_9-21-25.png

5) I would also give it a go to the street cars (although without the camaro that is not competitive against the other two...)
    upload_2021-1-26_9-22-33.png

And finally 6) The Lotus 23
    upload_2021-1-26_9-23-29.png

Tracks:
    1) Nordschleife 2020 (always a top preference for me), perhaps with the GT1 or P2
    2) Azure with the FVee or the Lotus 23
    3) Bathurst with the Super V8
    4) Kyalami historic 1976 with the Lotus 23 or GT1
    5) Ibarra with the street cars
    6) Silverstone Historic 1975 with any

Well, there are millions of more great combinations. Looking forwards to seeing some other suggestions and hoping some of the above are liked by you all.

I leave in here some videos if you are interested:

All the best,
    Jos Ogos

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rob Milliken

Some great suggestions Jos Thanks !
    I think round one will be the GT1's @ the newer Kyalami .
    & perhaps round 2 , Silverstone Historic 1975 with the lotus 23 ..
    And then ..??? :) ?
    Are any of those DLC ? ..
    We wont be using any DLC at this time , but once the sim establishes it's self here with efficient admin hosting we can open the doors for DLC .

They did update the server to be able to use the -selectds feature like PC2 , this allows admin to make a change without needing to go restart the ded , But he then MUST be the 'first person to join' to become admin , also the game still has no restart or advance session features working so that's something we just need to work around , This means we need perfect timing for drivers to enter the server and be aware of the 2 min lock out in any session as there's no restarts .. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I'm not sure about the DLC, Rob. I have the season pass and haven't checked what's in different packages.
    The stock cars are standard and good. Perhaps one of the races could be with those?
    Are you setting the series in the system? I cannot see it to register and it is getting close. Not rushing you but willing to get as much interest as possible...

6. Rob Milliken

Yes I just got the GT1 cars entered into the data base ! expect the series to open up shortly !

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rob Milliken

• Like Like x 1
  8. Balazs Flossmann

Balazs Flossmann Pro Driver Donator

I'm also interested about AMS2 races.
    I have full season pass as "backmaker".
    I'm interested rather about modern cars so I'll join at some point for sure!

9. Rob Milliken

Server is up ! It seems you still need to refresh a few times .. I wish that would get looked at ..
    Anyway another thing I notice is I need to hit enter 2 times after you add the password & then it loads for me ..

Server name is SRO simracingonline.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob Milliken

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Laurent Londes

I saw a video last night about how the BMW M1 was so great and AMS 2 v1.1.1.0 and I tried it today..Which brings us to my gripe with AMS 2.

My gripe is that the feeling on the limit is off. At least for me coming from AC. In AC you really feel when you are on the edge looking for the perfect slip angle. You can balance it subtly on the limit and have a good feeling of when the tires will let go. After which point they start to slide and you want to avoid that. In AMS 2 this is lacking for me and the car starts to slide slightly when I don't expect it to or rather when I expect that I feel being on the limit in AC. That something in between is missing in AMS 2 in my opinion. I haven't been driving AMS 2 a lot at all because I don't like this, but from what I have driven it is quite the same on all cars. How I ended up driving AMS 2 is sliding slightly and correcting it all the time in corners. You hear the tires scrub and correct it, slide again and correct it etc. Surely, that is not the way to drive but I have been doing it since I can't feel the limit. I thought it was a FFB issue but I start to think it is rather a difference in physics and maybe also a little bit in the FFB department.

Another thing is that when you start to slide it is very controlable in AMS 2 which also does not feel right to me. In AC when that happens it is much harder to adjust to it and correct to it. That is why I guess I started to drive in AMS 2, because it feels rather fast also because it starts to slide when I don't expect it to.

I googled for it and found this video of a real racing driver explaining exactly what I feel. Funny thing is he has a simucube V1 and the same Fanatec F1 wheel as I do.

I hope to hear what you guys are thinking.. I'm not a racing driver but how it is in AC feels more natural to me. And if it would be changed than I would be playing a lot more of AMS 2 for sure.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Suggestion for a test race to do the F1 retro mid 70s car on the 70s long interlagos circuit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob Milliken

I can't comment on AC as I never did like its feel at all (& I was on the beta test team way back then ! :eek:) lol , After struggling with it for years with the floaty front end & all I have now completely removed it from my HD :p (I blame rF2's awesome psyx for that lol) ...But to each his own & its very popular sim for sure!..

I take each sim at face value & either I like it or I don't .. I'm old & slow now & I can't compare any of them to 'real racecars' as I have never driven one :rolleyes: That said I have driven a lot of street cars & was in the car biz for 20+ years selling everything from Nissan /infinity, Corvettes, Porsche 911's (street) to Mustang GT 500's (the closest thing to a race car along with the vets i drove :D) .

I can say I do enjoy AMS2 & how it feels to me & that's pretty much my take on all the sims ..If i can have fun driving it I keep driving it ! lol:) .

IMO You will never ever get the 'on the edge real feel' of driving without actual G-Forces ..

I did own a BMW 328I lowered with z rated perelli's & would romp around in town all the time ..it would cap out at around 125/130 MPH with the US restrictions put on them over here & IMO there's no way to capture that feeling of speed along with say ,the weight loss of a car over 100+ mph when hitting a slight rise in the road etc. The pucker factor is real & things happen in a instant ! Sims just don't have this feature .. yet ! ...:rolleyes:
    Ever notice how 60 mph feels so slow in a sim but take a tight turn at 60mph in a real car and everything goes flying into the next seat ! :eek:
    So for me being 'like the real thing' is not a 'thing' at all & to me it never will be ..
    I base my sim use / experience on the fun I can have , I like driving dream cars in a virtual world ...:D
    It's perfectly fine to not like the way a sim car feels & luckily we have a lot of sim's to choose from .. But none of them will ever replicate the real driving experience of putting a car on the edge with your ass on the line so i take it all with a grain of salt ;) ....
    Bottom line is Have fun with what ever your doing when it's your hobby ! :)

• Like Like x 5
  14. Laurent Londes

That is a very chill approach to sim racing :)

It's crazy how perception is different from person to person. Floaty front-end in AC? Surely not on my side, I stopped playing RRE because of this. Well, I didn't play it much at all because of it's floatyness which I didn't have in AC.

I guess for me with AMS2 at the moment it is the same as AC for you, I can't enjoy it as well as AC. I did try again last night, same car/track (BMW M1 at Kyalami) and tried not to go over the edge. For sure it made a difference in that I wasn't scraping my tires the whole time, otherwise after only a few laps it would get worse. But the "feel" at the limit is still not there and when going over it it feels wrong. I know that what I am looking for are really "details" in feel but it's something that I need to be on the edge. I was still faster than the AI at 100% when not going over the edge but I think that AMS2 is one of those sims where you crank the AI past 100% isn't it? I didn't really pay attention to it.

There are threads about this on the AMS2 forum as well, but also a lot of fanboys in that one with not so constructive criticism. They suggest to try out the custom FFB files as well for that particular feel. I'm on default FFB, which has become a lot better with every update. I did try the custom FFB files months ago and it was garbage back then.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rob Milliken

I'm curious , do you like rF2 ? Most players I know that really love AC do not like rF2 at all ..lol & I don't hate AC at all ,its just not my thing these days , I think AC did a great job of getting people involved in sim racing so a lot of new players got into the hobby & then started a fan base .. Then there was the already existing sim community that came from GPL & rf 1 & 2 and were used to rf1 & 2 style psyx .. I remember being so excited when AC first came to be , It was just the beginning with dev screens only but I saw some nice gpx & thought this would be the next best thing ! but I was so used to rf2 & rf1 from a decade of driving them that It just felt all wrong lol nothing made sense ,It was bare bones back then no pit stops yet .. .. so I was conditioned to the only way I knew sim racing to feel .. I had a hard time with it lol But I played it for years none the less .. & don't get me wrong just because rf2 feels good to its fan base does not make it realistic .. In fact its got its own driving style ..like in rf2 loose is fast like you simply use lowest tire pressure , crank everything down and the cars haul ass , where in reality with a hi downforce car you need stiffness with forgiveness to keep the chasse & body in sync at hi speeds etcc.. so realism is out the window :rolleyes: (no matter what anyone says).. "ducks & dodges rotten tomato:p' Try this in a game like ACC and the car will be a hot mess ..lol
    I do love my rf2 tho ..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Laurent Londes

I haven't played rF2 much at all to be honest. But when I was able to get it to feel right then the driving and feel I had from AC carried over for me. I remember I was curious about the shadow competition and tried that and it felt pretty good and I was fast right away (well, not alien fast, somewhere 1.5 secs off the top times or so).

The physics feel of AC, ACC, rF2 and iRacing on the edge is more or less the same (big statement haha as I mainly drive AC), it's just AMS2 for me that feels different and a bit off. On the other hand Reiza are still working on physics quite a bit, so it might change in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Gert-Jan van Osch

In my opinion every sim has its pros and cons... I am used to playing rF2 and like driving it... Making a setup can be both frustating and rewarding... but the games has so many basic flaws in it physics low tyre pressures e.g. do not result in higher drag or heating... I always see that the center tyre gets hottest. In the new UI they completely lost the focus on making it simple to use and added too many features. Disconnects on session changes which caused me to miss a race. That is why in the Christmas sale I bought AMS2 and in general I like and it has potential... I think the ffb behaviour on driver input and car response seem quite good. The fast response in the feedback on bumps and kerbs I think AMS2 is lacking compared to rF2. I also have AC but I have the same opinion as Rob, I do not feel the connection between the car and the road. It all feels so slow and delayed to me... Therefore I enjoy trying these test series with AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Laurent Londes

What about when the car starts to slide in AMS2? It makes an awful sound as well, does not sound like rubber.. In my previous post I explain how I don't feel getting close to the edge but the car starts to slide slightly. Basically no grip anymore, and it feels like skidding in AMS2. Whereas in other sims at that point if you are not able to countersteer the car spins. In AMS2 I only have to make a small correction for it to stop.

19. Gert-Jan van Osch

I did not spent much time on setups yet actually this is the first time I am doing setups and I am trying to figure out the responsiveness and getting a good slip angle and find the limit... I am driving the GT1 Porsche at the moment and I am trying to apply trail braking, but at least then it spins out very fast even with a little brake pressure applied.

20. Laurent Londes

I haven't done any setups in AMS2 either. I tried the GT1's when they were released and I didn't like them..