rFactor 2 Round 1 Le Mans - Sun Jun 23, 2024

Discussion in 'MAK-CORP SWC GROUP C 1990s' started by John vd Geest, May 12, 2024.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

SRO Group C banner.jpg

WELCOME TO ROUND 1 LE MANS 1991
    - THIS RACE WILL START IN DAYLIGHT AND END IN THE NIGHT, WITH A SPOT OF RAIN MID-RACE.
    - YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE SAME CAR THAT YOU SELECT FOR YOUR FIRST EVENT.

The 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 59th Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 22 and 23 June 1991. It was also the fourth round of the 1991 FIA Sportscar World Championship season.

Pre-race
    An entirely new complex along the front stretch was built, housing modern pit stalls, garages, and the new observation suites built above the garages.

As for the race, the grid line-up was an unusual affair. 1991 was supposed to be the first year the World Sportscar Championship ran to the new '3.5L' rules, which meant a new breed of sports-prototypes. Although TWR-Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Peugeot all built cars to the new regulations for the 1991 championship series, the number of privateer teams was low and there was simply not enough of these new cars to fill the grid. The FIA allowed the first 10 spaces on the grid to be reserved for the fastest qualifying 3.5L cars from the World Sportscar Championship, while the rest of the field was made up of older formula Group C cars. In another twist, some teams which had 3.5L cars, but entered previous year's championships with Group C cars, were allowed to enter their "obsolete" but more reliable (and for Le Mans in 1991, quicker) Group C racers. In the case of TWR Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz, their 3.5L cars (the XJR-14 and C291 respectively) failed to qualify and instead they raced using their XJR-12 and C11 models. Peugeot Sport on the other hand only had their 905 model to race, with 1991 being their first full season in sportscar racing. Being the only factory team running the 3.5L formula, the French marque had the honour of starting 1st and 2nd, even though they had only set the 3rd and 8th fastest qualifying times.

Race
    The two Peugeots immediately led away at the start, whilst the top Group C cars, led by Mercedes, made light work of the other 3.5L cars. Peugeot's joy was short-lived though, the #5 briefly catching fire whilst refuelling at its first pitstop, although it quickly rejoined the race. More serious problems loomed however, their cars started suffering from engine problems and would both drop out before nightfall. With the French team out, the three Mercedes took control at the front, with Jean-Louis Schlesser in car #1 and Michael Schumacher in #31 debating the lead throughout the early hours. Their only drama came when Wendlinger spun under the Dunlop Bridge on cold tires having just taken over the #31, forcing him to pit for a new rear wing.

Jaguar had a difficult race. They qualified poorly due to carrying a 200 kg weight penalty for running their older Group C cars (which badly affected the handling), and they never looked like repeating the previous years success. The Porsches had to carry the same penalty and they too never featured in the victory battle. Thus as the race settled down, the job of chasing Mercedes fell to the #55 Mazda of youngsters Johnny Herbert, Bertrand Gachot and Volker Weidler. Mazda had not been viewed as victory contenders before the race, their 787B having achieved virtually nothing in the way of results previously. However, the team had exploited a loophole in the rules, which stated that naturally aspirated, rotary-powered old Group C1 cars weren't required to run at 1000 kg, but at 850 kg, and eventually the Mazda managed to run at 830 kilogrammes. Combined with their rotary Wankel engine providing better fuel mileage than the other ballasted cars, it left them running a strong fourth as night fell.

Mercedes were looking comfortable out front, but as Sunday rolled around their race began to unravel. The #31 had to pit several times to fix a gearbox problem, which cost 9 laps and dropped it down the field. The #32 then dropped out when it ran over debris; the impact damaged an engine mounting and the subsequent vibrations caused it to expire just before dawn. With the #1 spooked by the downfall of their teammates, the Mazda, now up to second, upped the pace in an attempt to try to break the final Mercedes. #31 was forced to pit again with high water temperature, and then at noon Alain Ferté brought a steaming #1 down pit lane having befallen the same fate. The alternator bracket had sheared, and in the process had snapped the water pump drive belt. Unlike their teammates however, their engine had overheated beyond repair and the dominant car of the race was pushed into the garage to retire.

From there the Mazda was never headed, and crossed the line with a two lap advantage over second place to secure a surprising and popular victory. It was the first Japanese car to ever win Le Mans, as well as the only non-piston engined car ever to do so. Jaguar's reliability made up for their pace disadvantage, and the British marque secured second, third and fourth place, with the remaining #31 Mercedes recovering to complete the top five.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  2. John vd Geest

24 Hours of Le Mans 1991 Highlights

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. John vd Geest

How the Mazda 787B took VICTORY at Le Mans in 1991

• Like Like x 1
  4. John vd Geest

The server will be up at the beginning of June.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John vd Geest

24 heures du Mans 1991

6. John vd Geest

1991 24 Heures du mans
    (let it generate automatic translation in English if you don't speak French)

7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Up to 21 drivers now :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. John vd Geest

SERVER IS UP
    You can find the server password here.

In-game race time = 06:00 PM
    Timescale = x 4
    You can select a High Downforce or Low Downforce package in the car selection menu.
    The Porsche can choose between the IMSA and WSC engine of which the WSC engine is the faster one, but also has a higher fuel consumption.

These are the RACE weather settings (which also apply to practice)
    The QUAL session is dry (but the track could be initially wet from practice).

Le Mans weather server.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matteo Dentella

Matteo Dentella Pro Driver

IMG_2482.jpeg
    100 is rain probability?

10. John vd Geest

Yes, 100% makes sure it will rain in that 1/5 part of the race.

11. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

A little story of my experience racing the Porsche 962C
    The last time I raced a Group C car was in rFactor1. I teamed up with Richard Roberts for a full 6 hours or 1000 mile race at Fuji. Richard qualified 15th and I 18th. Richard did a double stint, nearly 2 hours sitting 8th with a good lead when he pitted for the exchange. I dropped in and at the end of my first stint Richard told me he thought I should finish the race rather than risk a disconnect at the pit stop. That was 3 ½ hours of hell. I was over the top nervous the whole race as was the car. I managed to hold 8th till the last 20 minutes when I gave up a place to a faster hard charging opponent. That was the hardest race I have ever done.
    I am hoping just to finish this time around.
    Good luck all and enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. John vd Geest

Good story. And good memories :)

13. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Really just trying this mod out at the moment to see if I enjoy it. I’m not too bad but the bouncing in the Porsche curves is just crazy.

So I’m ok around the until this point and lose about 5 seconds through there.

any suspension setup advice to dial this down? I’m in the 787b.

14. Nick Westy

Nick Westy Pro Driver Donator

I was testing out the group c cars today and had a very strange bug with the 962, the throttle was stuck open from the moment I entered the car despite confirming it was not a hardware issue, the throttle responded fine in the settings but as soon as I got in the car it would rev its heart out despite not touching the throttle pedal.

I will try it again tomorrow but i'm probably going to use the mazda anyway.

set fast bump to 1 and fast rebound to 2 on rear and 2 bump 3 rebound on front or try setting to 1 all round also helps with the kerbs, softening the springs can also help but will make the car less responsive and may cause pogoing, if your pogoing up and down then go stiffer on the rebound.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gilles da'Silva

Gilles da'Silva Pro Driver Donator

I had the exact same thing with the Mazda, though I'm not convinced it's necessarily a fault with this mod, as I'm sure I've experienced it with other mods.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Pro Driver

I get this all the time with any mod. Only happens the first time though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. John vd Geest

The Porsche had a bug with the "brake map". I have reported it to the guys that have updated the mod.

On default, the "brake map" setting for the Porsche is set to 0 (zero) and is fine like that. But when you change the "brake map" to 1 or higher, you will find that the throttle is stuck open when you go out on track and you have to set it back to zero. Otherwise, the car is fine and very nice to drive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated. Will try that later on. Oddly I was starting to go in that direction before I called it a night and I could feel the car getting better, just wasn’t going stiff enough on the rebound settings I guess. I mind it being a challenge but the bouncing was so bad at one point it wasn’t fun at all.

I had to take the 963 out for a spin on AMS2 to bring a smile back to my face. lol. Easier physics I know but good fun.

haven’t raced too much on LMU yet. Need to spend more time on that too.

19. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

The Preload set to 60Nm +/- will help prevent the rear snapping at you on lift off. Also I setup on the stiff side for the suspension to stop it from too much sway side to side. Hope this adds to your setup.

• Like Like x 4
  20. John vd Geest

PROCEDURE FORMATION LAP LE MANS 1991

There will not be a full formation lap. That will take too much time out of the actual racing because the race is 90 minutes and not 24 hours.
    We will do a standing start formation lap. The formation lap will end at the first chicane on the Mulsanne Straight.

1. The Formation Lap is done in SINGLE FILE from beginning to end.
    2. When the pole sitter EXITS the chicane, the race is on.
    3. Cars behind can NOT OVERTAKE before they also exit the chicane, unless there is an accident up front.
    4. If you do overtake cars before you exit the chicane, you will come under admins review and may get a penalty after the race.
    Le Mans map.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024