Round 3 Road America 2019 - Sat Oct 10, 2020

Discussion in 'GT3 / McLaren Senna GTR Multiclass Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 20, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Welcome to Round 3 Road America

The Grand Prix of Cleveland was an Indy car event in the CART series, held annually at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, Ohio. The race celebrated its milestone 25th anniversary in 2006. The race was most recently held in 2007. After the 2008 open wheel unification, the 2008 race had to be cancelled. Attempts to revive the race have not yet come to fruition.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. John vd Geest

Cleveland might be a new track for some of you, and because it's a wide and spacious track I've uploaded some screenshots to help you find your brake markers and apex's quickly.

Main Straight braking for turn 1
    upload_2020-9-27_10-59-2.png

Braking for turn 3
    upload_2020-9-27_11-1-16.png

Braking for turn 5
    upload_2020-9-27_11-2-21.png

Braking for turn 7
    upload_2020-9-27_11-3-17.png

3. John vd Geest

Cleveland is out

I just discovered that the laps don't count on when you go through the pitlane. That is a severe track bug. So Cleveland is out.
    I'll try and find a replacement ASAP. Sorry.

4. John vd Geest

Road America replaces Cleveland

There is a new Road America 2019 on Steam that we will use for round 3. I've done a few test laps with it online and it's a beauty.
    It's been a while since we as a rFactor 2 community had a functional Road America that works online. So enjoy :)

The download link is on the event page of the series.

upload_2020-10-5_16-33-2.png

• Like Like x 4
  5. John vd Geest

upload_2020-10-5_16-37-38.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Sorry not feeling up to racing this evening. Have a good race and see you next time

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gilles Villeneuve

Gilles Villeneuve Pro Driver

I tried to join but was too late before my account was admin verified. Im gonna be there for the next one for sure !!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Very tight Q and looking forward for the race. I had faster option car with Porsche but it would had been a handfull + more tyrewear.

Race went ok but at 1st lap was wondering why everyone was just leaving me behind and Johnny at front was like a rocket.
    Then noticed that i had put engine mixture to 1 in warmup lap... oh well, just gave everyone else 5 seconds.
    We were doing same pace nonstop and was gonna be great race but i had warnings for cutting all the time when pushing and went wide.
    Little gutted for that as every time I did it, I lost half a second. It ended up in stop and go penalty and after that pretty much
    lost the rhytm and spun the car. Tried to start the engine again but no clue where I've put that Ignition..
    What a mess.
    Gz winners and all who finish!

• Like Like x 3
  9. John vd Geest

I had 2 drive-throughs. 1 for pit-lane speeding and 1 for going wide. Bit of a bummer, but it was still a fun race. Hadn't raced at Road America for a long time.

10. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Grats Marco! Well done. Grats to all racers. Not an easy track.

Q went well. I was running with quarter of a tank during Q. When I realized this, I went back to pits and corrected my mistake at the last minute barely receiving pole on the last lap of Q as Toni was quick so quick.

Not feeling well as I have the stomach flue and had a migraine. I was worn out even before the race. Thought about missing out but wouldn't be nice of me.

Formation lap. I read what John said about, when he goes, everyone goes so I stuck by the front group. When he hit the gas, so did I. The GT group was a bit back as I hit the second apex. Ummm, maybe I screwed up or something. Did I jump the gun? I don't know. Correct me if I did.

Race went well. My car did try to kill me a few times. Also moved out of the way for the faster cars and every single time, I got a warning. Then the one time I did out brake myself because of my own fault, I received a drive through penalty Doh!

If I was an ass on the track, I apologize. Feel like doo doo. Not sure if I was or not lol.

I had fun. I hope all did as well.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
  11. John vd Geest

I'm very happy to see you're doing so well Johnny. I was a big fan of you at Race2Play you know ... and still am haha. You won so many races there in that rFactor Endurance Corvette.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Those where the days. Thanks John. Now, I'm just to lazy to practice now days. Sometimes, I'm even to lazy to push the brake for a corner haha. I still have a great time here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John vd Geest

Join the club. I'm not so fanatic anymore about winning and so practise goes out the window. I do the bare minimum. Except for this event, put a bit of effort in this time, but still got 2 drive-throughs and then I'm like ... oke, back to lazy haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. John vd Geest

15. Andy Tomlinson

Andy Tomlinson Pro Driver

At the end of races, I'm all for celebrating on the track, but can it not be done on the mainline?
    I always do the cooldown lap and enter the pits as per the rules. There were 2 cars stationary across the track that I tried to go around, but they closed the opening and I ended up clipping the front corner. This made the direct drive steering snap which has actually twisted my thumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John vd Geest

Sorry to hear it. Is your hand alright now?

17. Eike Sky

Eike Sky Pro Driver

What a race. Actually got involved with tuning this time, and got the... let's say 5 lap pace to an art, and that showed in quali and the race. Then the Speedway turn had it's way and started roasting the outside tyres. Weirdly, it affected the front before the rear, which ended in understeer I hadn't had since we started here. A few wide runs and that earned me a drive through; Sorry John for coming across on you, I was trying to telegraph the move as early as possible, but that GTR is so fast!
    Once that was finished, a couple of places lost, no biggy. Started pushing back up the field in clear air and the car really started to behave. Then the GTR's came. Again, John, no fault of yours, just had aero wash at the end of the back straight, straight into the inside wall. Recovered to the pits, got fixed, new tyres, and set off on a recovery run. That was just the start!

One thing I feel necessary to say, once again, is the lack of respectful driving from the GTR drivers ruined the race for me. I mention John above because he was the only GTR driver who I didn't witness severe lapses in judgement, from diving in front of GT3 cars in braking zones to barging them off the track. The GT3 field is exemplary, and it's wonderful to watch back the different battles and strategies. The Senna class... please, learn to drive in the faster class. I've not had a single race where I haven't had to file a stewards report. It's always for low percentage lunges and avoidable altercations where you're losing time by trying to make a gap that will always close before you get to it. You're ruining people's races, and you're damaging your own reputations. [hops off high horse]

tl;dr: great race at a fantastic track, with self-imposed penalties and challenge, ruined by the faster class not knowing how to safely pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andy Tomlinson

Andy Tomlinson Pro Driver

Kind of.
    It's llike one of of those "surprise jar your thumb backwards" injuries. Its stretched the ligaments quite a bit so it just feels like too much exercise.
    Thankfully, I opted for a 10Nm DD system instead of the full fat 20Nm. That would of dislocated it (and it has happened to some).

19. John vd Geest

Yeah, I know direct wheels can be dangerous like that.
    It's like a tradition at the end of the race that everybody goes berserk and crashes their car.

20. John vd Geest

Yeah, the biggest part of driving a faster class is the art of overtaking, not the outright speed.

• Like Like x 1