rFactor 2 Round 4 Hockenheim 66 - Sat Mar 23, 2024

Discussion in 'F1 1939 Championship Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 6, 2024.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

F1 1939 banner 01.jpg

Welcome to Round 4 Hockenheim 1966

History
    1938–1965
    [​IMG]
    The layout of the track used between 1938 and 1965
    In 1938, the circuit dramatically shortened, from twelve kilometers down to just over seven and a half, and the Ostkurve corner, which lasted until 2001, was introduced for the first time. In that year, the track was also renamed to "Kurpfalzring". The track was damaged by tanks during World War II. After the war, the track was repaired, and renamed to "Hockenheimring". Former DKW and NSU factory rider and world record setter Wilhelm Herz became the manager of the track in 1954 and promoted the track successfully; Grand Prix motorcycle racing events were held, with the German motorcycle Grand Prix alternating between the Hockenheimring and other tracks. This version of the circuit was just over seven and a half kilometers long and consisted of the original two long straights, with the Ostkurve in the forest and the original hairpin inside Hockenheim joining them together.

Hockenheim 66 | 3 lap demo

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up 2.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. Hockenheim '66 Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 6
    4) 50% damage
    5) This event has a standing start without a formation lap.

2. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

3. You can find the password for the race server on the Hockenheim 66 event page.

4. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

5. Please use the
    same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our SRO signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

6. If you plan to PROTEST another driver, you have to wait 24 hours counting from the end of the race.

Any protest filed before that time will be viewed as not received. You can find the rules about submitting a protest here.

7. You can find the server by typing SRO or the track name. Add the server to your favorites so you can always find it.
    If you can't find the server in the rFactor 2 server list, you can access this way:
    1. click on this link: https://simracepackages.lima-city.de/rF2server/
    2. scroll down to "SRO" (it's alphabetical)
    3. choose the correct server and Join with the password (see point 4 above)
    4. the server will start automatically and will take you to the event

[​IMG]

Last but not least ...
    SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

My car isnt staying between track boundaries so sorry in advance :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Didn't have the best start and dropped to 3rd on the 1st lap behind @Neil Wood and @Caitlin Penny before we started to have an awesome battle for the lead. Neil made a mistake at the hairpin so it became a two-horse battle until Caitlin herself went wide, which was unfortunate as I really wanted her to have a good race. Matias had caught up by that point but I managed to pull away on my own, now that I wasn't battling for position anymore. Had a few sketchy moments later in the race and sometimes got tunnel vision just from how monotonous the track is haha.

Congrats to @Matias Estrela and @John vd Geest on the podium finishes. Looking forward to Zandvoort! One of my favourite tracks.

Also, laughed my ass off at the stadium section on the first lap with how many people going wide. Didn't expect to finish the lap to see cars flying through onto the grass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Gilles da'Silva

Gilles da'Silva Pro Driver Donator

Congrats to @Maddie Shepherd for another great win and to @Matias Estrela and @John vd Geest for making it on to the podium.
    This was the second F1-1939 race in a row that my steering wheel has come away from my rig! I don't know why this series hates me so much :( I think it's because I don't give the series the attention it deserves. I barely have the capacity to compete in one series at a time, but I'm competing in three at the moment and it's this series that I devote the least time to. Yet, in terms of enjoyment, I have to admit that this series is the most exhilarating and provides by far the most fun. Truly a great driving experience. Thank you Baron von Geest for putting the series together :D
    This series has really got me looking forward to the upcoming 'GT Revival 1960's Championship', starting April 7th, as the cars available in that series provide another brilliant driving experience, not too dissimilar to F1 1939.
    Thank you SRO for making the magic happen.

• Like Like x 3
  7. John vd Geest

Thanks Gilles!

And let's not forget the latest, newest series on Saturday that will get the blood pumping;
    The Mini Cooper 1961 Time Trial Series

I think I would do better if I didn't start practising on race day. But I've been doing this a long time and running practice laps gets so boring now. After 15 minutes my motivation is already gone. I need real racing action (but then I find I didn't practice enough!!!) :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Stream VOD

First I want to give a special shoutout to @Toni Talvitie who scared the crap out of me in qually when he erupted in a ball of flame ahead of me!!! :D

I got to the grid very late (I plea again to the stewards to increase the pre-race timer from 30 to 60 seconds!).

I was lucky to get 3rd on the grid, the top 2 were just way beyond me in laptime. I was struggling with braking in the sessions before (FORESHADOWING) so it was no real surprise. But I suppose techinically with the grid formation it put me on the grid on row 1 on the outside so it worked out pretty well.

I seemed to get a better start than those around me and surprisingly lead into the first corner.... I was the most shocked. Then up the straight and the draft battles began. Headed to the inside up the straight and @Caitlin Penny tried drafting up the outside. Taking the inside line to that fast right hander for the first time hoping not to drift wide was scary. On exit Caitlin was able to get passed up the straight into the stadium section. I unfortunately braked and nearly followed Caitlin's wide moment into the right hander. Into the next turn I locked up and went wide, this caught out @Maddie Shepherd and we got away with a kiss of from wheel to rear wheel. Dust appeared ahead and there was 3 cars going through the grass.... I had no idea what was going on there!! Looking at the replay they all seemed to miss their braking point from the back straight and just went straight on, all 3 of them!!

Now it was my turn to try the drafting and I got a good exit out the first turn and drafted alongside Caitlin up to the fast right hander. Then as expected she got me on the next straight heading up to the stadium. I moved to the inside hoping to put her off under braking and it seemed to work a little. Caitlin was very generous to me there and left space. I managed to get out of the corner ahead. Remember that foreshadowing from earlier? Down to the left hander side by side and my exhuberance got the better of me and I braked too late and ran onto the grass....DOH! Caitlin and Maddie were through.

Into turn 1 and on the hunt I thought I had got the turn done but I must have lost traction on exit and spun around, this let @John vd Geest through as I gathered myself together again. I set off after John for a couple of laps but things wouldn't go to plan. Now down to 5th and overdriving like a muppet I spun again at T1, similar to before and @Kiril Kirilov was through! Lonely laps as I tried not to overdrive and get my braking right for once!!

Noticed Kiril was driving like an absolute demon ahead and then I heard the crew chief say "korolev" was off. I could then see an Auto Union ahead strugging to keep in a straight line, I assumed he had got damage because it looked like a handful!! Following him into the stadium section after a couple of laps, the car finally got away from him and he spun around putting me up to 4th.

It was then a case of trading fast laps with John ahead but I just didn't have the pace to keep up. I thought of what might have been due to my brain fade in the opening laps. The championship is a nailbiter!!!
    Well done to Maddie, Matias and John for getting on the podium and the rest of the field that took on this tough challenge.

Zandvoort should be tricky but those banked corners should help a little. Following cars through them however will be difficult!!

Also another shoutout to @Matias Estrela for getting that Alfa on the podium!!

• Like Like x 3
  9. John vd Geest

Nice to see a stream of that event. Cool!

10. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

I was tempted to adjust my mic to have the 1930s filter on it, but I think that might be too much :D

It does look quite old footage on stream though right? ;)

11. John vd Geest

It surely did. Liked the vintage feeling of it.
    Just follow your creative feeling on the mic next time, Neil. You have to do what you like! I think it's a fun idea.