rFactor 2 Round 5 Symmons Plains Raceway

Discussion in 'Historic F3 Cup 2023 Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 24, 2023.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up.

2. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Pro Driver

Really enjoyed that race. The time just flew. What a great little circuit.
    Some difficult places to get lapped but hopefully I didn't baulk anyone too much.
    Thanks everyone for a remarkably clean race.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Stick to the racing line and let the lapping cars make the pass... tight circuit so good watching out on passing cars.

4. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

I had a great race in a very competitive series, with the top 4 within a few tenths after qualifying where Johnny squeezed out the pole lap in the dying seconds of qualifying and me being fourth. I had a great launch at the start and passed Michal and tucked in behind in Liudas at the first tight corner. After lap 1 I was 2nd because Liudas took a drive through and dropped him way back in the field. I was trying to keep up with Johnny but also keeping the championship in my mind. After a few laps I out braked my self in the last braking zone and did a bit of lawnmowing losing connection with Johnny who was consistently a few tenths faster. In the meantime I notice that Michal got back in 3rd and did not gain time on me so I settled for 2nd. In the end I noticed that Liudas was back in the top 5 and on the bumper of Ken.

All in all I did not have to much close racing but had to push keep the lap times down to keep my position. With one race to go the standings are still very tight with all to play for to win this seasons Historic F3 championship season 2023. CU all on the final round.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Good report Gert. I also had to keep on the gas to give enough room between us because if I were to slow down to breath, you'd catch right up. That was the first 20mins when I was looking at the clock. I still had another 40 minutes to do this. Yikes. Keeping the gap was tough. A good win but I think these cars are more fun when your battling mid pack with others around you.

Cheers,

Johnny

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neil Wood

Stream VOD

Completely missed the start because I got to the grid very late then couldn't find where to look for the lights. @Ken Jagger touched @Michał Mazurek in the first chicane and I was lucky to avoid. I tried to stay close to Ken but just couldn't string good laps together. I waited for Michal to inevitably catch me which he did and I didn't fight. Hoped to stay in his draft to pull me along, but not to be. I then waited for @Liudas Askinis to come back through the field then passed me. I then had a boring race for 40 mins battling feelings of sickness. I got myself lapped so I didn't have to struggle any further, then signed off stream so I could recover!!

Hoping to keep 4th in the championship, unless something dramatic happens in the next round.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Neil Wood

May I have the server replay please?

8. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

9. Neil Wood

10. Liudas Askinis

Liudas Askinis Pro Driver

you forgot to mention that you then tried to back-stab me :D ... i really thought 'oh shoot, this fella just won't let go!'
    on more serious note, from your livestream i saw you had a much different setup, which in that complex place gives you stability, but not for me, - going there was different each lap, hence no full throttle in that particular lap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Neil Wood

I was searching for a cut back but couldn't quite get there. Thankful for the rF2 netcode that allows these little incidents without major crashes.

I aim to make the car easy to handle on new tyres and old, I don't want to be fighting it for the whole 60 mins.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Liudas Askinis

Liudas Askinis Pro Driver

well, it seems to me we both had to work on saving this one and netcode just stood by and let us sort it out ourselves.

Watching tire wear balance (fronts vs rears) is important, especially in long race. first you balance the car via setup for track, then if it unbalances, you try change the way you drive in order to put more work on rears or fronts, at least that's how i try doing it. these tires are long-lasters, but burning them will make'em melt.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Neil Wood

I know :)

• Agree Agree x 1