rFactor 2 Round 6 Zwartkops Raceway - Sat Dec 9, 2023

Discussion in 'USF2000 Awesome Club Track Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 27, 2023.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WELCOME TO ROUND 6 ZWARTKOPS RACEWAY

Zwartkops Raceway is a permanent motorsport racing circuit near the town of Centurion, South Africa.

History
    The line, which opened in 1961 and was originally open to traffic in both directions, had a layout that permitted high speeds. In 1986 the facility was shortened due to a road construction project and divided into 2 parts - the shortened car course and a kart track - which were to lie on both sides of the planned but never realized road. In 1995 the line was temporarily closed. In 2001 it was reopened with the current clockwise layout. At the new hairpin bend, the old west loop was separated from the current route by a natural grandstand. The new facility was completed in February 2001.

Route description
    The current variant was designed in the style of the British Brands Hatch Indy Circuit as a route that is clearly visible to the spectators. It consists of 8 corners, is 2.4 km long, has several fast, challenging corners and at least 3 corners with good braking and overtaking opportunities. A new go-kart track, a circular track with a sliding surface, pit facilities, grandstands and several outbuildings as well as a motocross track were also built in the inner field.

Zwartkops review.jpg

2021 Formula Vee Round 1 Race 2 Zwartkops Raceway

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  2. John vd Geest

This round has been re-scheduled to Saturday December 09.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  3. John vd Geest

SERVER IS UP

This is a briljant little racetrack. The medium fast corners are taken while drifting through them. It's a blast.
    Fun fact: I hadn't noticed before, but there is traffic moving on the right side of the start/finish straight on a public road. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

Looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

breaks my heart to say it..
    but.. ill probably miss this race, its hurts as ive actually been there(now live 1000km away)
    the 1980s layout thru the Drive in was epic.

6. John vd Geest

That's a double shame if you know it for real ... :(

7. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

1 million percent agree

8. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

Is the race definitely on the 9th of December?
    On Rf2.events it's saying the 16th of December...

9. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

10. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

OK, 9th it is then!

Attached Files:

11. John vd Geest

It's absolutely on Saturday December 9th.
    I also can't find where it says Dec. 16. Can you post a link to that location?

12. Karl Strouhal

Karl Strouhal Pro Driver

Is that screenshot from GridFinder ?

13. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

Its rF2.EVENTS (UNOFFICIAL)
    Not sure where I found it - Google it!
    It's quite a handy thing, it links to track and car downloads, and league discords.
    Although evidently not always the correct dates.

Attached Files:

14. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

Not gridfinder Karl.
    Google rF2.EVENTS
    Its actually quite useful!

15. John vd Geest

Oh yeah, that's old. We re-scheduled Zwartkops now because of the site's crash.

16. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. All 6 events of this series will be broadcasted
    Broadcaster: Rob Milliken

2. Zwartkops Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 10
    4) 100% damage
    5) This event has a Formation lap with a standing start

3. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

6. You can find the password for the race server on the Zwartkops event page.

7. You can find the server by first typing sro

8. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

9. Please use the
    same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

10. If you plan to PROTEST another driver, you have to wait 24 hours counting from the end of the race.
    Any protest filed before that time will be viewed as not received. You can find the rules about submitting a protest here.

Last but not least ... SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

17. John vd Geest

Damn, 1 bloody point !! :(:confused:
    Grats to Kiril on the championship! :cool:

upload_2023-12-9_22-45-47.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

It was a great Round 6!
    Great drive Kiril!
    After all the ups & downs of the series, You took the lead and never looked back!
    Congrats!
    NicePng_checkered-flag-png_151817.png

& Grats to Neil & John on the championship podium!
    There were some epic battles from 2nd to 6th in the final round! Good Job everyone!​

• Like Like x 6
  19. John vd Geest

And thank you very much for broadcasting the series, Rob. That brings much more life to it and you did a fantastic job :)

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Stream VOD

Never give up... that's my motto! :)

I did the calculations before the race of the championship predictions. @Kiril Kirilov was out of reach because there wasn't enough drivers in the last round for him to finish behind to let us catch up, so I set my sights on 2nd place.

As usual I struggled to find consistancy with this car. Tried setups from before then went back to default and it made no difference, I was just driving it wrong! A stab in the dark I just whacked a load of wing on and hoped for the best. I pushed in qually.... A LOT! Saw the gap to first though, wow. Managed to scrape by with 2nd on the grid, on the inside which was scary.

We settled on the grid and I found I rolled a little so I had to do that awkward holding the brake and clutch at the same time. The horns sounded, then green light, totally took me by surprise and @Robin Taylor shot through in front of me into T1. The calculations in my head were that I needed to be 2 positions ahead of @John vd Geest to grab 2nd in the championship and to see him right behind I had my doubts.

So away we went, 3 of us nose to tail... soon to be 4 when @Nick Westy joined the party. Hadn't been that close to a car before here so wasn't sure how much that would affect my car. Seemingly quite a lot, the understeer around the vital fast corners was quite nasty. Kiril was away while I tried to figure out where to pass Robin. With just under 28 mins to go I got close to Robin in T1 and pulled out, he went defensive so I swapped sides to the outside. I couldn't use my momentum because he covered the inside so I hoped to stay wide and hope to cut back underneath. One slight problem with that plan, I left the door wide open for John to come through.... DAMN! We went side by side along the straight but there was no way I could hold it around the outside through the fast right handers. My heart sank thinking that P2 in the champ was out of reach now!!

John was ducking and diving behind Robin to find a way passed and I just had to follow and wait for a gap. My opportunity came when John seemed to either touch the dirt on the last turn or step on the loud pedal too much and span up the tyres killing his momentum on the straight. Held my breath and took the outside line around T1 hoping I didn't touch the dirt and I was through!! PHEW! Now to try and put Robin between John and I. @Nick Westy was now on the back of us to make it a 4 way battle. I hoped Nick could possibly slow John down or even pass to make my job a little easier.

Slowly but surely Robin and I would pull away and I tried to put him off every opportunity I got. Staying close around the fast turns to get a run was so difficult, I had no pace advantage. I knew where I wanted to pass, I just needed to get a good exit onto the back straight to make it work, T2 was my nemisis though! with just over 13 mins to go Robin dipped a wheel on the dirt on the exit of T1 but I just wasn't close enough to capitalise. Then Jim, my crew chief, says "Keep an eye on your oil temperature, it's creeping up". "Oh shit", I thought.... did I leave my qually setup on?! Have I screwed myself out of this P2 in the championship? I think I remember clicking on 10 percent of radiator tape for qually. Could it be the hot weather/climate of South Africa? Maybe because I was sat behind Robin? I panicked and started to look at my stream trackside cam to see if I could see smoke. This track was so intense it was hard to look away at anything for more than a second.

So I short shifted.... ducked out of Robin's draft but that oil temp was not budging! I dropped back a little to see if that would help. In my mind, P2 in the championship was lost. I might not even finish the race and John was still ahead of Nick. I only know this from watching my replay but from just over 8 mins to go, sure enough the white smoke started to pour out my car. Because the mirrors on this car don't look behind, I had no idea!! I kept looking at that oil temperature and thinking, I might lose this!!

7 mins to go and there is now a car between John and I.... P2 in the champ is looking better!! Short shifting, trying not to redline and coasting a little into the turns. I was still keeping up with Robin somehow. "Your water and your oil are both looking pretty hot right now", Jim says. 3 mins to go, "one final push", I said... not knowing that I was bellowing smoke. He was getting slower and slower on the exit of T1 but there was no way to get the momentum into T2 because of his defensive line. It was the last lap and I was still thinking how is the battle behind going to shake out. Then going through the final turns I see John and Nick swap places.... had I just lost the chance at P2 after all this?!

DRAMA!!!! Crossed the line and my heart sank!! I knew I couldn't finish equal to John in the points because I would lose on countback. It's only when I exported my results that I finally saw I had secured 2nd. I forgot the podium places were 3 points between instead of 2. PHEW!!! What a finale!!!!

Never give up.

Thank you to everyone that stuck around for this series. I would have loved if we had kept the numbers from round 1. More drivers means more battles all the way through the field plus more chance there is someone on your pace.

Congrats to @Kiril Kirilov for taking the championship, unstoppable this series!

Thanks to @Rob Milliken for broadcasting and making us feel like real race drivers, and to @John vd Geest for organising.

See you for the next series!! :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1