Assetto Corsa Comp ACC Sprint series 2 Round 2 Zolder

Discussion in 'Blancpain GT3 Series 2 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Thanks for the replay.

I had an absolutely horrible qually and just couldn't get the sectors together. At the end I saw myself drop down to 5th.

I was ill prepared for wet conditions and had no idea what to do. Loaded the wet default setup, but decided to go for the aggressive default with wets in the end. Used the pressures from the default wet setup and hoped they would be the right ones.
    Start was quite hectic, but very clean from what I could see, which is pretty impressive in these conditions. I was able to find a bit more grip on the outside and could overtake Tim for P4, but at hairpin I tried a move at Carl, but that didn't work and Tim took full advantage of that and retook my position.
    I was unable to overtake the NSX in the laps to come, as it seemed to have amazing grunt out of the corners. We were however catching the 2 cars in front of us, who drove away at the start, but the pace difference seemed to be gone.
    At the end of lap 5, Simon had a bit of a moment in his Bentley and Tim overtook him at turn 1, which gave me an opportunity to try something as well. Was able to put in on the inside at turn 2 and we had some close door to door action through there.

Unfortunately Tim and I had a coming together at the start of lap 8, which ended our good scrap.

At that point Alex was 5 seconds down the road, but I was catching him surprisingly. I think he was struggling on his tires. In lap 15 he seemed to suffer from an tire failure as he slowed down quite a bit before the second chicane which gave me the lead just before the pitstops.
    We came out of the pits side by side, but I was just ahead and could maintain the lead. Alex' tires seemed to fire up faster I think as he could close up quite a lot, especially under braking, something that should have been the strength of the Aston, but I just couldn't brake any later than I already did. Quite a scary sight to see that Lexus charge in your mirrors.

It felt pretty much impossible to hold on to the lead and in lap 22 I out braked myself slightly for the first chicane while lapping, which gave Alex a run towards the second chicane. He overtook me and I expected him to disappear into the distance again. However, as the track dried up I was gaining some time back and in lap 26 he hit the curb at the chicane too hard and I was able to get alongside. We went side by side through the whole second chicane and only in the corner afterwards was I able to close the deal for the lead. I had 15 minutes to hold on to it, which again felt doubtful. I had a feeling he could overtake me at any point, but the layout of the track helped me, as it's still quite hard to overtake, even though you are faster.

Two epic races including Bathurst, both due to the rain. I really missed those conditions :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Changed my dry tires to wet and increased tc and abs to full. Lowerd them during race first part great fun some nice overtakes and catching up front runners from 17th to 7th
    Unfortunally something went wrong at pitstop. They dindt added fuell atleast not the amount that was preset 48 ltrs only 33 or so so run out of it damned!
    Great fun doh. ..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Pro Driver

I was really happy with qualifying at 4th in my last flying lap. At the start of the race it was a bit of a scare seeing all the rain but I had a good wet setup. I lost a position at the start to Jeffrey, who really had a good idea where the grip was in that second corner, but later in the race I managed to overtake him and Carl. At that moment I was flying and closing in on the first two. With Jeffrey on my tail I managed to overtake Simon and at that moment I really started to suffer from overheating the rear tyres. Jeffrey put on serious pressure and I had to drive defensive lines consistently. After a few laps I changed lines to have a wider approach at turn 1 but Jeffrey was already there and we touched. Sorry mate, completely my fault. I was just so focused at having a good entrance at t1 that I lost you out of my sight. You were too fast anyway... :p I spun but luckily didn't hit a wall and only lost one position. After overtaking Simon again the rears where melting and I went in first. Should have started on a dry setup with wets as the tarmac was really drying out. I did got the message that wets were still the optimum choice but went with dry tyres. A good choice and after a few laps I had my rythm.
    I was surrrounded by backmarkers and also Stef in 13th place was reeling me in fast so I was seriously lacking pace. At the end it did get slightly better but that wet setup didn't do my laptimes any good after 1/3 of the race. Still managed to finish on the podium. Grats to Jeffrey and Alex and also everyone for such a clean start in such a large field at such a small track in such bad conditions! :) Shame it stopped raining but really happy with my first race in such conditions. See you at Hungaroring!

Cheers,

Tim

• Like Like x 2