Assetto Corsa Comp FKR Special Event | Spa 24

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione' started by Rob Milliken, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

Aim number one is to survive the first 30 minutes in any endurance race so the first stint is key to setting up the rest of the race. Eike on the commentary kept saying Gymer must be fuel saving, lol, I can assure you I wasn't. The problem was that the tyre pressures were so low (which I don't understand because the track and air temperature was reasonable) which means I had low grip and the car was quite slidey so getting drive off the corners was hard. Still I managed to keep quite a few drivers behind despite not falling into the trap of unncessary defensive driving (never a good idea in a long race as you end up losing so much time. Better to be prepared to give up the position than lose 10 seconds).

Anyway, after realising I was using about 50 litres per 30 minutes I felt that to make it easier on my brain I would switch strategies and stop ever hour and would also mean my tyres were equally used each stint, but also I wanted to get in so I could increase the tyre pressures. With the knowledge that the temperatures and pressures would be even lower in the night, I increased the tyre pressures a very large amount in the pit stop. It made a massive difference and the tyres came to life and my lap times were really good, so good in fact that I managed to jump the 2 Ferraris ahead of me (just). Roberto was literally exiting the pit lane onto the kemmel straight as I zoomed passed him. I never looked back from there, with my tyres switched on I eeeked out a 25-30 second gap.

Then with the daylight coming I then made my 2nd stop, still with higher pressures than in the first stint (but not as high as the night stint). They were right on the edge of being too high in the high 27s sometimes edging into 28s. The car was good again, but by then I had a nice gap and just had to keep good pace and bring it home.

Enjoyed the last 15 minutes watching Roberto catch Mark in the timing panel, although I did lose concentration a few times checking what was happening.

Loved the commentary and really enjoyed the race. Shame there weren't more competitors, but really pleased with 2nd. I tried a few of the cars to work out which one to take, putting in a lot of laps with the BMW, but ended up plumping for the Aston which looks and sounds so cool.

BTW, if anyone wants a good BMW setup for Spa the let me know. It's very planted, with the only thing to remember with the BMW is that you really musn't break late. It's not as fast as the Aston, but if you want to drive something different.

2. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Thanks guys for the race, and thanks Eike for the broadcast! I started from second last place, and i didn't believe I have such a good pace that I was in the lead after first 35mins, because I didn't practice much, i just tried which car i choose for the race. I didn't change the tire pressures or anything during the race, and the car felt quite good. The only problem was trying to stay focused, such a long drive alone. On the last stint, my lap times dropped a lot after Alex got a penalty, I didn't have any pressure, so it was just sunday driving to the finish. But that was still fun. Bigger grid would be more fun.

3. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

My race was a mess. At the beginning I had a bit of lag and then did a spin because I had apparently accidently turned of the TC :mad:. Psychologically it was a bad start and my race continued like that. Had two more spins because the TC was again turned off. Then realised that before each spin I had had a bit of lag. My little brain then reached back in time and told me "Hey, this has happened before". It seems that after each lag problem, probably due to my old CPU, that the TC gets reset to OFF!!! Has anyone heard or know of this problem? Solution?
    Congratulations to the podium and all participants.

4. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Upload your setup to Car Setups. We encourage everyone to contribute to the Car Setups database. Thanks! :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rogerio Santos

Rogerio Santos Pro Driver

Henri Miettinen
    However, the result would be different if you had not thrown me off the track, causing serious damage to my car ... Incredible behavior, with 10 minutes of running, and I had 3 hours to try to overtake ...

Really a pity your attitude ... (look here)

6. Rogerio Santos

My race was only for recovery, because after 10 minutes of running, Mr. "H. Miettinen # 911" threw me off the track, which caused serious damage to the car, having to pit more and lose considerable time. fixing the car ... I think this type of behavior is incredible in a 3-hour race, but everyone knows what they do ... Certainly the result of the race would be different ... I just don't know how the penalties are, since the same did not pay DT as required by the regulations ... I am expecting to see this happen ...
    look here

After that it was a boring and lonely race trying to recover, even making the best lap of the race, for a few laps, it was not enough to be able to get further ahead, although the arrival was interesting, less than 1 second from the 4th and 3rd place ...

I hope I don't see any more attitude like this in races, especially in long-distance races ...

A hug to everyone...

7. Henri Miettinen

I did hit you only because you got slide on that exit and your speed drop so much that i did not have time to react. I was already on full throttle like always in that exit, and then i realize that you are sliding, but it was too late to avoid that. I didn't try to overtake you, i just tried to follow you. Lap before that you got also big slide and i had to run out of the track to avoid crash. The only way to avoid that hit would have been for me not to have come 30 meters closer to you, but how I can overtake then?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  8. Nuno Rodrigues

Nuno Rodrigues Pro Driver

Nice event last night.
    Didnt practice much and Ferrari was "the safe choice".
    Was a bit desapointed when i saw so few drivers at the beginning.
    The race started ok but soon i was alone in the 8 place. Even so it was going ok. After a while i realised that one stop would be impossible.
    I was not aware of the "tires thing" (temperature night day and so on) and 2nd and 3rd stint were very nasty cause de Ferrari was different.
    Beeing overtaken was great cause at least i could see life at the track.
    I gave up cause my stomach was in pain (didnt had dinner - the GMT hour doest help). when 40 min to the end.
    Even so, i enjoyed very much this event stile. I could do some more of this (but other hour please) with a full grid.
    Congrats to winner and all that came, thanks to Tv broadcast, lovely to watch, and thanks for organizing this event.
    p.s. shame on guys that signed up and dont show to events. IT should exist a penalising system for this.
    p.s.2 @Rogerio Santos que app é essa no seu celular ou tablet que está no seu volante?

9. Rogerio Santos

Ola, uso do SimHub (https://www.simhubdash.com/download-2/?sfw=pass1617566777) no PC e o APP, é este: (https://www.simhubdash.com/community-2/dashboard-templates/romainrobs-collection/)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mark Ekins

Mark Ekins Pro Driver

tbh Rogerio, looking at your radar on your screen, you go off before he gets close and hits. Though i dont know how you were going so fast through that section anyway!

The changing conditions meant it was only the first 20mins i think the tyres were working! In practise earlier it didnt look like the pressure dropped much so i though a small increase would be good enough for the middle stint, oh well! Just tried to keep to my usual consistent pace while others had issues. I have to say it looks AMAZING at night.

Something i hadnt really picked up on was you can set the pitstops individually but it defaults to putting old tyres back on. Didnt feel the extra tank size over #100L really gained me anything, 45min stints were hard enough before! It was always going ot be the tyres that are my limiting factor, and so it ended up being in the final stint.

Tyres were about 1PSI higher, in the 28's, The middle stint i was on my own, but come the third Rogerio started about 40sc behind and i knew he was likely to catch me up based on his superior speed. So i just tried to focus, but then someone else came out behind me... more pressure. All through this though it was noticable i was using a but more fuel than i thought, i was constantly checking the usage, thinking i was ok. But with 10mins to go I thought i was going to hold 3rd, then with about 5mins left i could see the laps left and the leader was 40secs behind me so i would need ot do another lap after he finished and the clock stopped. Clearly i couldn't think and drive and got slower partly also as i knew i wasnt going to make it, it looked like i was a lap short as i started my final full fuel lap and dropped to 4th, could i really coast it for a nother lap?. Then.... I think it must have been really tight as the clock ran out before the leader crossed the line! Now i suddenly am on my last lap, with enough fuel but had just lost the position! argh!

3hours was really tough, the last 45mins were really uncomfortable as i ached so much! I can see why it might be too much for some people to commit to. Well done everyone!

11. Alex Sander

Alex Sander Pro Driver

Gents, where is this broadcast you all speak off? o_O

12. Henri Miettinen

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alex Sander

Alex Sander Pro Driver

Very cool, if I knew we'd get a full commentary I'd practice :p Big thanks for that, very well done.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021