rFactor 2 General discussion

Discussion in 'The Honey Jar - F1 1979 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

since im the 25th, how i know can join?

2. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Max 30 drivers so you are good to go Toni.

3. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

I would like to propose a gentlemen's agreement for drivers in the top 10 and everyone else that likes the challenge:
    • We don't pick the Williams and instead go for any other car.
    Why? Pretty much the entire field consists of Williamses. This is logical in a free format: The Williams has the best chassis and shares its engine with all but four teams in the series (these being Renault, Ferrari, Autodelta and Brabham as far as I know). It easily beats all the other teams with the same engine and the superiority of its chassis compensates for any deficiencies the engine might have compared to other manufacturers. The downforce the car produces also makes it the easiest te drive. So basically, if you want to get maximum result (and you're not a Martian named Dino Paolini) you pick the Williams. It's a no brainer.

If you're in the lower half of the field and you're struggling with the cars, by all means, get into Alan Jones' car and let its downforce help you!

If you're further up the field, however, take this challenge!

It would be so much nicer to see some diversity on the grid. There's a whole range of more or less equally competitive cars just one level down from the Williams, each offering unique perks and challenges.

Please reply if you're going to drive a not-Williams for the remainder of the season. I would hate to be the only one that switches next race... :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Oke, I think that's a good suggestion for diversity. I'll dropp the Williams and take the Ligier, or something else. Not sure yet.
    But ... I can't force this idea on to the other drives. The rules have been set before the series started (You can pick what ever car you want).

I like the idea and support it, but it will be dependant on the good will of the fast drivers to dropp the Williams.
    Any way ... I will be the first ... euhr second after you :).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

Hey, that's why I proposed a gentlemen's agreement. No one has to, but perhaps we can agree to it without being bound by rules.

I may or may not mock top drivers that waive the proposal... :D

6. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Understand what you wrote Yoeri, but that's too late, championship already started and a change won't benefit some drivers like me, who've been unlucky for last two races... Also, for a change it should be more detailed, like top 2 can't choose Williams/Ferrari/Renault/Tyrell/Lotus/etçª, 3rd to 6th couldn't choose only Williams/Ferrari/Renault/Lotus, 7th to 10th couldn't choose Williams/Ferrari only, etçª, etçª, but this would take time to prepare and think with detail...

As there's money involved i also don't see people agreeing on this...

7. John vd Geest

It's not mandatory. Only for people (fast drivers) who think it would be nice to see some other carmakes on the grid. It's not a rule change. Any one who likes to take the Williams can do so.

8. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

[I understand this isn't being suggested as a mandatory rule change, but...]

I've seen suggestions in this and other threads about forcing car changes, etc. While i appreciate the motives as a "mid-pack" driver with limited skills, i have found myself dropping other series due to such restrictions simply because i just don't always have the available time to test a new car for a new track. My approach to sim-racing is that I work to develop a base setup for my most comfortable cars that will work with any given track well enough that i can keep it in control and become "mid-pack" after only a few minor tweaks (and frankly, with some mods there is only one "comfortable" car for me). Then i can concentrate on improving lap times as practice time permits.

I don't mind being a couple seconds slower than the fast guys. I do mind not feeling in control of my car because i haven't had enough practice time with the car/track combo.

And frankly, after today's event, that already has me wondering if i need to limit my race participation because of the proximity of race scheduling. It wasn't until the half-way mark of today's race that i finally felt semi-comfortable (emphasis on the "semi") with the car after running the Enduracers event earlier.

[weight penalties make much more sense to me, when available.]

9. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Hi!!!

My two cents for this question

In the first race I drove the Renault. Fast solid car, but with one downside (at least to my knowledge): burns too much fuel. I practiced for this last race with this car, and fuel consuption was between 3,4 and 3,6 liters per lap. The Williams burned 2,1 to 2,2l per lap. The math was quite simple, +/- 44 laps, meaning that the Renault would start the race much heavier, which has an effect on speed, laptime, and tire "consuption". Practicing qualification times, I did some good times with both, so in this race, to have some advantage over the Renault during a 60m race, I took the Williams (which Yoeri described very well, no need to repeat).

I'm very happy to do this league.
    Grats to my brother for not being here!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Bro! did a podium, how cool is that??? :D:p:p:p:p:p

Now, in the next race i'm going to try another car, and I encourage all to do the same.
    It's late in the game to "enforce" or "apply" new rules, despite it happens (or did happen) in real life competition.
    Being this an Historic version of the mod, I would consider this rule (which would have an impact, yes, but not a major one, meaning, it would not, in my view, be unfair or unjust to anyone): every driver, during this series, must use at least 3 different cars

If everyone wants to use the williams, they could, but at least in two races they wouldn't be allowed to do so.

Can't wait to see the Replay
    I'm thinking in sending it to Frank Williams, for him to have a look: so many cars in grid, and all of them got beat by a Ferrari ahahahahahahahah :p:);)

• Like Like x 1
  10. John vd Geest

Every idea above about car change has some good points to it. But let me make this clear and put everyone's mind at ease:
    There will be no rule change about picking cars in THIS series.
    No one should feel forced to pick another car then they like.
    It's too late in the day to do that and it would lead to chaos. I am however noting it for a future series.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

I'm up for this Yoeri, not that I consider myself an alien by any means however, I have to admit that I did feel like one when I qualified 2nd..haha. Ill take a lower car for the next event & see what happens.

Regards,
    Bret

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Yeah, for future series i can help organize with proper rules ;)

13. John vd Geest

All good input is welcome Rui :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. John vd Geest

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

Hey man, people actually have! In fact the #1 in the championship already ditched the Williams at Zolder; the #2 (me) will drop it for the remainder of the season; the #3 is open to the idea; and the #4... that's you! I'm sure people will pick up on the idea and even if they don't, well, that just means you've got to show what you're made of just a little more. ;)

And again: there's no rule stating you can't pick the Williams. I'm just proposing the top guys choose not to pick it for the sake of having more than the William Open Championship. If you're worried about your money, results or skills compared to others, no one is going to stop you from taking that Williams.

In the meantime I have a lot of fun testing other cars in the field. I even tried the Shadow (you know - because Lammers drove it) which I might choose to pick later on at the cost of 1-2 seconds a lap. :D

But, I have an easy time talking. I'm here because I can finally drive seventees cars in a championship. The €5 was worth the trying alone - in fact it was the bargain of the century for all the fun I had in the first two rounds alone - and I really don't care how much I get in return (if any) or how high up the ladder I can reach. When the season is over and I've had a good time racing, I'll be happy - regardless of the car I drove in. :cool::)

• Like Like x 2
  16. John vd Geest

HEAR HEAR !! :D

17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Mate, i already won a championship with those cars in R2P with rFactor1, in a full field with great drivers, Mazurek was one of them! At the time championship had proper rules, like cars you could or not pick depending on your championship position, also we had a joker (free car to use whenever race you want). If you want to do something like that in future i'm open to it...

And the problem is not my skills, if i wouldn't been caught in some mistakes my points could be quite more ;)

Cheers!

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Great job guys, site is growing very fast, keep up the good work! Congratulations to all the administrators!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

That's great! Sounds like you don't need a Williams to be competitive. ;):D

20. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

I'm not best or worse than anybody here, but this has rules, i don't pretend to choose another car (anyway maybe i will) if others are keeping the same cars, rules aren't changed during a championship, so it's simply up to the driver to do whatever he wants...

I read somewhere that mod will be updated, maybe we do a championship with proper rules after that update ;)